Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Insurrection

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Insurrection
Post by dregj   » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 pm

dregj
Ensign

dont get me wrong i belive its the best book of the series
the battles ,the righteous indignation ,the mutinies the final battle was sheer brilliance BUT...
did anyone find that after about half a book showing us the terran assembly,the rebel leadership /officers and being quite balanced it suddenly shifted alarmingly to trevayne and not alot else .the rebel officer Li han and the rebel leader gets forgotten about until near the end in favour of trevayne's romance?

still a great book though
Re: Insurrection
Post by dregj   » Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 pm

dregj
Ensign

does anyone know what is included in the newer edition of the book? I heard the version in star at war had 20,000 extra words previously edited from the original release.
Post by iranuke   » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 pm

iranuke
Commander

I just read in the Pearl of Weber that the original version for Insurrection was 285000 words and the published version was only 135000 words. I'm wondering if we could convince Mr. Weber to e-publish the original 285000 word manuscript?
Post by JohnS   » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:10 pm

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

iranuke wrote:I just read in the Pearl of Weber that the original version for Insurrection was 285000 words and the published version was only 135000 words. I'm wondering if we could convince Mr. Weber to e-publish the original 285000 word manuscript?

Here, here! I'm all for a "director's cut" of Insurrection. And yeah, it did focus a lot on Trevayne, who I despised. So if some of those missing words provides some balance on the character focus, so much the better.
Post by dregj   » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

dregj
Ensign

I heard that stars at war 2 (anthology)has some extra material for the story in there I don't know if its got all the edited material though
Post by Thunder Child Actual   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:42 am

Thunder Child Actual

JohnS wrote:
Here, here! I'm all for a "director's cut" of Insurrection. And yeah, it did focus a lot on Trevayne, who I despised. So if some of those missing words provides some balance on the character focus, so much the better.

Why did you despise Trevayne?
Post by JohnS   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 pm

JohnS

Thunder Child Actual wrote:
JohnS wrote:

Why did you despise Trevayne?

He struck me as just too dogmatic. Not only was evidence of the Federation's corruption evident to people all the way back in ISW4, but his own son tried to point things out. Trevayne was basically, "The Federation: love it or don't criticize it." Then he almost massacred the Rebel Fleet at Zephrain because he blamed the Republic for his son's death. Which, to me, makes him a hypocrite who won't take responsibility for his own actions. And I found the love affair tedious. If he was going to feel angst, let it be for serving a corrupt regime, not for "betraying" his dead wife. Basically, I had as much empathy for him as for someone like Rajampet, who also served a corrupt regime.

Aside from that, he was okay. :)
Post by dregj   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 am

dregj
Ensign

He struck me as just too dogmatic. Not only was evidence of the Federation's corruption evident to people all the way back in ISW4, but his own son tried to point things out. Trevayne was basically, "The Federation: love it or don't criticize it." Then he almost massacred the Rebel Fleet at Zephrain because he blamed the Republic for his son's death. Which, to me, makes him a hypocrite who won't take responsibility for his own actions. And I found the love affair tedious. If he was going to feel angst, let it be for serving a corrupt regime, not for "betraying" his dead wife. Basically, I had as much empathy for him as for someone like Rajampet, who also served a corrupt regime.

Aside from that, he was okay. :)[/quote]

yeah and the only reason that was given as to why this one section of the federation was so super loyalist(blind) was because the navy saved their ass in the last war??one would assume the whole federation was saved during the last war so again why was this little enclave so "republican" about stuff
Post by dregj   » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am

dregj
Ensign

im ording a copy of stars at war 2 its supposed to have the unabridged version
Post by dregj   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:06 pm

dregj
Ensign

Spoilers for exodus and extemis

i read both of these books and it continues trevaynes
life after being unfrozen and given a new body.
He still doesnt have a clue why he fought for the federation at all.At one point suggesting he fought for the unity of man(even there subjugation).
Although li hans daughter does compare him to erwin rommel ,great general who fought on the wrong side.

Return to Starfire