Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Other books by Steve White?

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Other books by Steve White?
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:57 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if this is really the right place or way to ask this, but I saw several other books by Steve on webscriptions/baenebooks and I thought some of them sounded interesting... but I have to admit that I just completely LOATHED the Starfire series. Sorry. Nothing personal David, I've loved almost everything else you've written... even your contributions to the 1632 universe which I pretty much otherwise loathe at this point.... And I don't know how much was you and how much was Steve here either... but I made the mistake of reading Insurrection first and ended up just hating the way the "bad guys" won (at least from my perspective) and just gave up on it. There was one character who I thought was the most despicable piece of garbage I'd ever read about, and IIRC he actually managed to (accidentally) kill his own son... yet still ended up mostly winning in the end (though I don't think he actually personally survived), and I just about blew a gasket. It's one thing if they have some temporary victories along the way, but when they and/or their successors survive/thrive in the end I get very annoyed. If I want to read crap like that there are plenty of good history or other non-fiction books out there...

So while the other books look interesting, I'm a bit "once burned twice shy" and all that... so can anybody tell me whether they've read these books (especially eagle against the stars and wolf among the stars) and how similar/dissimilar they are to the Starfire universe? Is the tech model similar or different? What about character development and all that? And do the bad guys at least MOSTLY lose in the end (for books/series that have a set end, at least)?

Also, does anybody know if any of his other books -- outside, of course, of the books that are obviously part of the Starfire series, and other than those "... the stars" books which obviously are -- are parts of a series? Baen doesn't list them that way, but some of the descriptions sounded like they might be anyway.
Re: Other books by Steve White?
Post by Solly   » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Solly
Commander

FriarBob wrote:I'm not sure if this is really the right place or way to ask this, but I saw several other books by Steve on webscriptions/baenebooks and I thought some of them sounded interesting... but I have to admit that I just completely LOATHED the Starfire series. Sorry. Nothing personal David, I've loved almost everything else you've written... even your contributions to the 1632 universe which I pretty much otherwise loathe at this point.... And I don't know how much was you and how much was Steve here either... but I made the mistake of reading Insurrection first and ended up just hating the way the "bad guys" won (at least from my perspective) and just gave up on it. There was one character who I thought was the most despicable piece of garbage I'd ever read about, and IIRC he actually managed to (accidentally) kill his own son... yet still ended up mostly winning in the end (though I don't think he actually personally survived), and I just about blew a gasket. It's one thing if they have some temporary victories along the way, but when they and/or their successors survive/thrive in the end I get very annoyed. If I want to read crap like that there are plenty of good history or other non-fiction books out there...

So while the other books look interesting, I'm a bit "once burned twice shy" and all that... so can anybody tell me whether they've read these books (especially eagle against the stars and wolf among the stars) and how similar/dissimilar they are to the Starfire universe? Is the tech model similar or different? What about character development and all that? And do the bad guys at least MOSTLY lose in the end (for books/series that have a set end, at least)?

Also, does anybody know if any of his other books -- outside, of course, of the books that are obviously part of the Starfire series, and other than those "... the stars" books which obviously are -- are parts of a series? Baen doesn't list them that way, but some of the descriptions sounded like they might be anyway.

You might find his stuff here...really helped. And the order for Starfire:

Crusade
In Death Ground
The Shiva Option
Insurrection
Exodus
Extreminus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Whit ... fiction%29
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

If you have a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader, this page of Baen's Books may help...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by FriarBob   » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Thanks y'all. I well aware of what his other books ARE... what I'm trying to find out is whether it's his style that I objected to or just the way that storyline went.

I finally broke down and read some of the sample chapters on some of the books. Some of them look pretty good, so I went ahead and bought a few. It's been a bit of a mixed bag so far. I rather liked the "Prometheus Project" even if it was at least in part a tragedy, which usually I don't care for. "Forge of the Titans" had some moments that I liked but I didn't finish it before reading the ending, because I didn't like where I saw it going. Looks like the ending wasn't as bad as I feared tho, so maybe I'll go back and finish it later.

Currently I'm working on "The Disinherited" and I plan on reading the rest of the trilogy. So far it seems the best of the bunch, although his sarcastic prediction of the US's future would almost be funny if I didn't know it was actually possible.

I'm still wondering though if anybody else has read "Eagle Against the Stars" or "Wolf Among the Stars" books. They look REALLY interesting... but I'd still love to get some opinions on them. And does anybody know if this is going to be an ongoing series?
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

FriarBob wrote:Thanks y'all. I well aware of what his other books ARE... what I'm trying to find out is whether it's his style that I objected to or just the way that storyline went.

I finally broke down and read some of the sample chapters on some of the books. Some of them look pretty good, so I went ahead and bought a few. It's been a bit of a mixed bag so far. I rather liked the "Prometheus Project" even if it was at least in part a tragedy, which usually I don't care for. "Forge of the Titans" had some moments that I liked but I didn't finish it before reading the ending, because I didn't like where I saw it going. Looks like the ending wasn't as bad as I feared tho, so maybe I'll go back and finish it later.

Currently I'm working on "The Disinherited" and I plan on reading the rest of the trilogy. So far it seems the best of the bunch, although his sarcastic prediction of the US's future would almost be funny if I didn't know it was actually possible.

I'm still wondering though if anybody else has read "Eagle Against the Stars" or "Wolf Among the Stars" books. They look REALLY interesting... but I'd still love to get some opinions on them. And does anybody know if this is going to be an ongoing series?

Well if it means anything to you I read "Wolf Among the Stars" in Oct. And I can't remember what it was about. Normally a bad sign for me but ... YMMV.

Not much of an impression for me. But did read the whole thing so must have had some use.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"

Return to Starfire