Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forum Rules & Information

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Re: Forum Rules & Information
Post by Greentea   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Greentea
Commander

kbus888 wrote:=2014/03/20=

** sob **

We've been demoted !!

!!! WHERE'S MY UNION REP ???

:cry:

R

Duckk wrote:Having some experience with the number of posts users put out, the rank system has been reworked so we are not overloaded on ranks above Commodore. For example, hitting Fleet Admiral used to take 1000 posts, whereas now it is 3000. It'll now be more of an achievement for those who have contributed the most to the community. Ranks below Commander have not been impacted, and Commander through Captain of the List have only been impacted minimally.

Duckk just didn't want this forum to become the SLN, where it is next to impossible to find someone below commodore.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I was due for Admiral and never got it.
I went from Vice Admiral to Commodore.

Hip Hip, Hooray!

Now this is more like it!
I registered onto the site in January. I was on a thirty-three day vacation and had plenty of posting time. That allowed me to move up quickly in rank. Much too quickly!
This is my first social site and I was bug bitten.

Personally, I didn't think it at all fair to the many people who have participated much longer and given many contributions over longer periods.

It just didn't seem fair.
I felt my promotions were given out of patronage, just like in the novels. Gees!

Commodore still doesn't seem right.
Lieutenant...I'd feel much more comfortable there, out of respect for so many other users who have been with the forum from the beginning or very much near.

I accept my demotion with a hearty Thanks!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by crewdude48   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 am

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:I was due for Admiral and never got it.

Hip Hip, Hooray!

I registered onto the site in January. I was on a thirty-three day vacation and had plenty of posting time. That allowed me to move up quickly in rank. Much too quickly!

Personally, I didn't think it at all fair to the many people who have participated much longer and given many contributions over longer periods.

I felt my promotions were given out of patronage, just like in the novels. Gees!

Lieutenant...I'd feel much more comfortable there, out of respect for so many other users who have been with the forum from the beginning or very much near.

Well, if you feel that you are getting promoted to fast, you could post less. :D
You are currently at an average of over 13 posts a day. I bet that is a record or something.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
cthia wrote:I was due for Admiral and never got it.

Hip Hip, Hooray!

Well, if you feel that you are getting promoted to fast, you could post less. :D
You are currently at an average of over 13 posts a day. I bet that is a record or something.

Point taken.
Yet, this is my first social site, yahoo chat notwithstanding, and I'm just trying to get time in the simulator before the demands of my career hamper my posts...which will be soon as my brand new lab is almost complete!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:13 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

I thought I'd contribute my observations on where the ranks break, BUT I forgot that the TABs don't work too well on this forum (i.e.: Not at all).

Look at the below, ignore it, as you wish.

The numbers inside the parentheses are my observed numbers from some location on the forum that I always have trouble navigating to, so I won't try to explain it any more.

The numbers outside the parentheses are the break points that I've deduced.

Midshipman 0 ( 0 9) 9
Ensign 10 ( 10 24) 24
Lieutenant (Junior Grade) 25 ( 25 49) 49
Lieutenant (Senior Grade) 50 ( 50 97) 99
Lieutenant Commander 100 ( 100 147) 149
Commander 150 ( 150 244) 249
Captain (Junior Grade) 250 ( 251 399) 399
Captain of the List 400 ( 405 727) 749?
Commodore 750 ( 763 994) 999
Rear Admiral 1000 (1036 1360) ___9
Vice Admiral ___0 (1528 1818) ___9
Admiral ___0 (2054 2946) 2999
Fleet Admiral 3000 (3049 5345)

ERR

p.s.: I am NOT in a hurry to do another 152 messages, just so I can make Commodore again.

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by kbus888   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 pm

kbus888
Vice Admiral

=2014/03/21=

Guys

You might find this link useful

http://web.ncf.ca/et116/DW-ABBR.htm

R
..//* *\\
(/(..^..)\)
.._/'*'\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)

Love is a condition in which
the happiness of another
is essential to your own. - R Heinlein
Post by Yow   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

How can I post something and not have the message sitting on top the signature? I've tried spaces and returns and still no headway.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Duckk   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 am

Duckk
Site Admin

No easy way to automatically add a carriage return from my end. I'll continue investigating over the weekend.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:53 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Yow wrote:How can I post something and not have the message sitting on top the signature? I've tried spaces and returns and still no headway.

In the sig, try put a "." on top, then the sig text on the next line down.

Empty returns or spaces often gets eaten by the forum software as it´s a standard way of avoiding spamtastic posts (like a thousand "x"s in a row covering a page or two worth of screen and things like that).
Post by drothgery   » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:
Yow wrote:How can I post something and not have the message sitting on top the signature? I've tried spaces and returns and still no headway.

In the sig, try put a "." on top, then the sig text on the next line down.

Empty returns or spaces often gets eaten by the forum software as it´s a standard way of avoiding spamtastic posts (like a thousand "x"s in a row covering a page or two worth of screen and things like that).

White space isn't significant in HTML; multiple spaces or line breaks all render the same as one space. Some forum software will turn blank lines in a post into HTML line break tags and multiple spaces into HTML non-breaking space entities, but that's a bit of a hack.

Return to Starfire