Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Is it good?

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Is it good?
Post by Solly   » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Solly
Commander

Yeah, read the title. Is the series any good, because sometimes I've read stuff that looks promising on the back cover but it turns out to be bad. Also does anyone know the order the books are supposed to be read? I got interested in it because of the "Bugs" hahaha
Re: Is it good?
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

The starfire series (so far and in reading order) is...

Crusade (Humans Vs religious fruitcakes who believe that Earth/Terra is "holy" and must be liberated"

In Death Ground (Humans + allies Vs hive-mind Bugs which eat everything)

The Shiva Option (Second and final part of the Bug War)

Insurrection (Humans engage in civil war)

Exodus (Human worlds invaded by species which really does reincarnate. Part one of story, part two not yet released)

The books become more tech-oriented as they progress. Although the tech boosts are nowhere near the traditional Lensman Arms Race, each book introduces at least two gamechanging tech pieces. Usually a lot more.

Characterisation in the books is... noticably less than that of normal Weber series, while the space battles are less well described than the Harrington Series. Nevertheless, the books are generally worth a look. At least the plot tends to move quite fast.

The first four books are also available as The Stars At War and The Stars At War II.

Hope this helps.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Nit the second part of Exodus is out. Extremis.

http://www.webscription.net/p-1326-extremis.aspx

T2M

Michael Everett wrote:The starfire series (so far and in reading order) is...

Crusade (Humans Vs religious fruitcakes who believe that Earth/Terra is "holy" and must be liberated"

In Death Ground (Humans + allies Vs hive-mind Bugs which eat everything)

The Shiva Option (Second and final part of the Bug War)

Insurrection (Humans engage in civil war)

Exodus (Human worlds invaded by species which really does reincarnate. Part one of story, part two not yet released)

The books become more tech-oriented as they progress. Although the tech boosts are nowhere near the traditional Lensman Arms Race, each book introduces at least two gamechanging tech pieces. Usually a lot more.

Characterisation in the books is... noticably less than that of normal Weber series, while the space battles are less well described than the Harrington Series. Nevertheless, the books are generally worth a look. At least the plot tends to move quite fast.

The first four books are also available as The Stars At War and The Stars At War II.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by Belisarius   » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:58 am

Belisarius
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I have had the game system it was based on for years. That made it interesting to read the stories with that background.
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:51 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

swapnil147 wrote:I read....It rocks....
I read.."Crusade" and "Exodus" it is really intresting...
I have really inspired with the story of EXODUS..kindly hoping to release the second part of EXODUS as early as possible...

Said this a couple of posts up.

Exodus second part is out. It is called Extermis. Available as an E-book at the following link.

http://www.webscription.net/p-1326-extremis.aspx

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
Post by Solly   » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Solly
Commander

Am I reading the series in the right order so far? Crusade (just started 3 days ago) In Death Ground, The Shiva Option and Insurrection (and then the two new ones which I will pick up later)

I've been trying to picture the starships...I kinda stole the ships from the Wing Commander (yes that movie which bombed but I thought was good) series for the Orion and the Terran

Are there descriptions of the religious nut aliens starships or is it "you can imagine them however you want to"
Post by Solly   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Solly
Commander

I've been trying to figure this out without trying to get a headache....what is the difference between a close warp point and a open warp point
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Solly wrote:I've been trying to figure this out without trying to get a headache....what is the difference between a close warp point and a open warp point

An open warp point is detectable from that syatem. A closed warp is invisible from that system.

In other words in order to find a closed point you must first travel through it from the open end in the system it leads to. One of the conjectures in the books is that there are literally thousands that people won't find until someone travels through it by accident.

Much like warp points are originally found by Tellus. They didn't have the math or sensors to find it but somebody was trucking through the solar system and ended up in Alpha Centuri (I think that was the system) been a while since I read it.

I think it is mentioned that only one species actually had the math to find warp points before they stumbled through them.

Hopefully that makes sense, I usually fail miserbly in my explanations.

Its always so clear in my mind and so muddy on the screen, <grin>
TTM
-----------------------
Post by Solly   » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Solly
Commander

thinkstoomuch wrote:
Solly wrote:I've been trying to figure this out without trying to get a headache....what is the difference between a close warp point and a open warp point

An open warp point is detectable from that syatem. A closed warp is invisible from that system.

In other words in order to find a closed point you must first travel through it from the open end in the system it leads to. One of the conjectures in the books is that there are literally thousands that people won't find until someone travels through it by accident.

Much like warp points are originally found by Tellus. They didn't have the math or sensors to find it but somebody was trucking through the solar system and ended up in Alpha Centuri (I think that was the system) been a while since I read it.

I think it is mentioned that only one species actually had the math to find warp points before they stumbled through them.

Hopefully that makes sense, I usually fail miserbly in my explanations.

Its always so clear in my mind and so muddy on the screen, <grin>
TTM

Oh ok. See I thought a closed warp point was the only warp point in that star system.....ok it makes sense...kinda like how they found the worm hole in HH 10 (taking a break from that series right now) Thanks!
Post by Solly   » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Solly
Commander

Does anyone know how the Orion Honor System works. I'm trying to understand it. I've tried to look online but it turns up nothing. So they fight to gain honor...correct? And the higher the honor the better chance that you'll get a better job.

Return to Starfire