Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Anybody read Extremis

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Anybody read Extremis
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Just curious.

I didn't buy the e-ARC and got the May Webscription on Friday. I feel like I have been hit over the head with a clue bat all the way through. The book could easily have a quarter as long and been much better. IMO

Link:
http://www.webscription.net/p-1326-extremis.aspx

It was worth the price as part of the webscription deal but not much more.

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Re: Anybody read Extremis
Post by Duckk   » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

I got the eARC of it. I thought it was alright, better than Exodus. The antics of the Further Rim Fleet was probably the most interesting, the happenings on Bellerophon the most tedious, and the PSU-Rim-Republic alliance falling in between. How the Second Disperstate was dealt with was quite irritating. Is the second front going good, bad, etc.? No one in the book seems cognizant of the second front until the epilogue. Aside from that, it's getting, I dunno, tiresome to have yet another revolution in ship size. I realize the Starfire rules permit making such big ships, but we've already had the "OMG, what the hell is that thing" feeling with monitors, supermonitors, and SDSs. Throwing in two more size classes just leaves me with a "been there, done that" feeling.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by thinkstoomuch   » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm

thinkstoomuch
Admiral

Duckk wrote:MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

I got the eARC of it. I thought it was alright, better than Exodus. The antics of the Further Rim Fleet was probably the most interesting, the happenings on Bellerophon the most tedious, and the PSU-Rim-Republic alliance falling in between. How the Second Disperstate was dealt with was quite irritating. Is the second front going good, bad, etc.? No one in the book seems cognizant of the second front until the epilogue. Aside from that, it's getting, I dunno, tiresome to have yet another revolution in ship size. I realize the Starfire rules permit making such big ships, but we've already had the "OMG, what the hell is that thing" feeling with monitors, supermonitors, and SDSs. Throwing in two more size classes just leaves me with a "been there, done that" feeling.

Glad I didn't try to define it. That about sums up my feelings better than I could thank you.

Course I didn't do that good a job analyzing it until I read your post. After Exodus was just glad I didn't feel cheated out of my money(even if it was part of the month's offerings).

T2M
-----------------------
Q: “How can something be worth more than it costs? Isn’t everything ‘worth’ what it costs?”
A: “No. That’s just the price. ...
Christopher Anvil from Top Line in "War Games"
Post by SYED   » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

I read the excepts from that link.

I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT SPOILERS.

WHO wants to bet, the tangri scouting has been noticed so worries the fleet, will they arrage to lure their two enemies into fighting each other, set it so that to reach the warp point to their defences the two invasion forces has to fight each other first. The thing is can the tangri stop the arduans, they pride themselves on being raiders, could they hold out against the fleet. Possibly let the alliance come in to support them.

SO communication is advancing, due to the baby mom link, will jennifer become the face of the aliens.

it seems will take so long for this war to be carried out, years to build the ships needed and for them to travel accross the void. if constantly exposed to the alien telempathy, will the kid be capable of it.
Post by dregj   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:13 pm

dregj
Ensign

just finished extemis
kind of miss weber's intense space battle commentary.
But he ending felt incredibly anti climatic
when peace is declared
and the baby murdering invasion monkeys just go off into the sunset
Post by munroburton   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:16 pm

munroburton
Admiral

dregj wrote:just finished extemis
when peace is declared

Agreed, although there are loose ends. About seven fleets were launched - the two books dealt with the first of those and gave us a glimpse of the second's arrival and entrenchment.

It's also theorised by one of the sane invader characters that each successive fleet is going to be more crazed and aggressive than the last... and benefiting from more advanced technology.

There is very little information on Steve White online, so who knows if there are more books on the way.
Post by phillies   » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 pm

phillies
Admiral

The Arduans know that it is impossible to murder a sentient. All you can do is make them temporarily absent and unavailable.

Now they must resolve if humans do not reincarnate or if we cannot access our memories of past lives.

dregj wrote:just finished extemis
when peace is declared
Post by WinterFlames   » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:57 pm

WinterFlames
Ensign

Ok, from the blurbs i cant tell if i read Exodus or Extremis. What is the differences between the two? I had gotten one through inter-library loan, but can't find a record of which i read and i don't want to buy and read the one i already read yet. (Can when i have more resources, but Weber has first dibs on my B&N gift cards right now...)
Post by munroburton   » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 pm

munroburton
Admiral

WinterFlames wrote:Ok, from the blurbs i cant tell if i read Exodus or Extremis. What is the differences between the two? I had gotten one through inter-library loan, but can't find a record of which i read and i don't want to buy and read the one i already read yet. (Can when i have more resources, but Weber has first dibs on my B&N gift cards right now...)

In Exodus, the new aliens arrive. In Extremis, the situation with them is mostly resolved.
Post by WinterFlames   » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 pm

WinterFlames
Ensign

Sounds like i read Extrimis, as i remember a resolution with a "Oh wait, the Orions have some too!" Problem at the end. But there is peace (of a sorts) and we finally meet the Tangri!

Return to Starfire