Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

the future of the starfire series

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by Solly   » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Solly
Commander

Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:06 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN

viciokie wrote:
NormH wrote:Will we ever get to see more information (story) on the return of the BUGS, from the system that must be concealed?
Steve White has written two books updating the series following the "Insurrection" time line. But it would be nice to see the Bugs come back, stronger than ever.


If the starfire books follow the game more or less the bugs will be found before they can rebuild a battle fleet entirely



I think we'll see: Another war with the bugs although not as large as ISW4. Possible books include, the first two ISW wars when Terrans and Khanite fought. And finally, the third ISW war where the Grand Alliance fought aganist the Rigillains.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by SYED   » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:40 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

I just read extremis finally, so I have now read the entire series. Will any one ever create a warp point map to unite the one for the four books to the one seen in the steve white 2 book adventure?
SO future activities will the pacification of Tangri space as they attempt to civilise it, as well as deal with the incoming Arduan fleets to Known space systems. TWelve or more, I wonder if they counted empty systems they could reach?
Tangri would be dealing with remain and limited ship forces, but the big issue is to make them capable of looking after them selves and making them more tolerable neighbours. SInce Tangri space links to many different places, place will become a crossroads.
THE Arduan fleets, will have to be convinced to be peaceful, then sent along to the Megara and the Hotspur expansion chanine. THere are around 20 other fleets I think, so thats alot of new warp points. SO they might not link directly to their new system, but link those systems where the ships arrive, then link up.
THE new tech would allow remote controled fighters, as well as a speedier courier drone transmissions through the warp points.
Imagine those giant ships fitted with desai drives, they could be made to be broken up and shiped. THey could allow access to systems that are located close by in real space. Most likely from starless warp nexus as they would be closest to other stars.
If they can expand and create new warp points, the next great achieve ment, is a method to locate a closed warp point. That would help guarantee security for those systems.
THose ships which are like mobile warp point forts, those would be great for mobile attack forces. THose micro black hole power generators, those would make awesome warp point defence forces.

Many people have discussed how they want to see the rigillians war, so why a not book for ISW1,2 and 3.
I hope one day there will be a warp point map that links the entire series.

We all know that one day the bugs will return. Will the good guys stumble onto them, or will they explode out of old bug space? Its been over 200 years since the war, that area of space likely have been much more built up. It alloe tavel to different border almost straight from SOL iitself. Alpha centuri and the warp chains off it, being oldest colonies, there would be extensive defences and military would be able to send heavy forces straight off. Would the bugs be able to communicat with humans if they used ardu tech.

It would be awesome if the arduans were the ones who found the bugs, and were actually able able to percieve their communication. THey are at the frontier of the warp space network so their exploration could find them. The bugs were ordered never to go through their old home space ever again, so they could only ever do this if they were found again, and had no choice but to try.

There are plenty of aliens mentioned in the game, never seen in the books, so perhaps they will be seen.

THe desai drive weaponised wont be long distance but, could be used to defend against missiles and fighters. Due to power needs, the pin hole power generator could make it most powerful. I doubt space being warped would stop energy weapons. It would be great protection for stationary objects, warp point forts and stations
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Posts: 404
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: Guthrie, Oklahoma, USA

I would love some books set before Crusade as well. I still remember the first time I played Starfire when I was eight, commanding a group of four frigates. I loved the books but was greatly disappointed that the kin of my first ships never really did anything in the novels and based on the changes in ship design over the series the only way I see frigates being anything more than big gunboats is if they do books set pre-Crusade
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by viciokie   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm

viciokie
Captain of the List

Posts: 543
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm

I know i speak for many others that i would love to see more Starfire books but , i am not honestly sure we are likely to ever see any soon if at all. There is so much more that could be done with this series and expanded on, even to a movie.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by Cataphract   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 am

Cataphract
Midshipman

Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 am

viciokie wrote:I know i speak for many others that i would love to see more Starfire books but , i am not honestly sure we are likely to ever see any soon if at all. There is so much more that could be done with this series and expanded on, even to a movie.


I agree, I would love to see books on the first two Federation-Khanate Wars, or the Khanate-Gorm war. I have my old Stars At War supplement, but it is just not the same.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by JohnS   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 pm

JohnS
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Cataphract wrote:
viciokie wrote:I know i speak for many others that i would love to see more Starfire books but , i am not honestly sure we are likely to ever see any soon if at all. There is so much more that could be done with this series and expanded on, even to a movie.


I agree, I would love to see books on the first two Federation-Khanate Wars, or the Khanate-Gorm war. I have my old Stars At War supplement, but it is just not the same.


It would be great to see Howard Anderson in his prime.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by bitslizer   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 am

bitslizer
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:38 am

was re-reading TSO.... seems like it wont be hard to get a new reason to have another book where they re-discover the bug...

They just need the tech/researcher to finally make a breakthrough in reading out the bugs electronic system.

If nobody can read the bug's system, and if the bug are all one central "hive-mind" and never fought among themselves before it can be the case that the bugs never encrypt their system or have any security procedures. As there would be no reason for them to have encryption/security.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Posts: 404
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: Guthrie, Oklahoma, USA

bitslizer wrote:was re-reading TSO.... seems like it wont be hard to get a new reason to have another book where they re-discover the bug...

They just need the tech/researcher to finally make a breakthrough in reading out the bugs electronic system.

If nobody can read the bug's system, and if the bug are all one central "hive-mind" and never fought among themselves before it can be the case that the bugs never encrypt their system or have any security procedures. As there would be no reason for them to have encryption/security.



Would they really need to store vital data in their computer or would the hive mind store it and they access it on a as needed basis?

Also even if such data were stored by computer would any of the computers the Alliance captured contain data on the hidden nest? I thought that came about late in the war and I'm not certain if the Alliance really bothered with recovering their computer systems by that point since the couldn't crack them and were fighting a war of annihilation. Also I get the feeling it could be a very, very long time say somewhere in the thousands of years range before the Bugs think about taking on the Alliance again.
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:22 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1763
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Roguevictory wrote:
bitslizer wrote:was re-reading TSO.... seems like it wont be hard to get a new reason to have another book where they re-discover the bug...

They just need the tech/researcher to finally make a breakthrough in reading out the bugs electronic system.

If nobody can read the bug's system, and if the bug are all one central "hive-mind" and never fought among themselves before it can be the case that the bugs never encrypt their system or have any security procedures. As there would be no reason for them to have encryption/security.



Would they really need to store vital data in their computer or would the hive mind store it and they access it on a as needed basis?

Also even if such data were stored by computer would any of the computers the Alliance captured contain data on the hidden nest? I thought that came about late in the war and I'm not certain if the Alliance really bothered with recovering their computer systems by that point since the couldn't crack them and were fighting a war of annihilation. Also I get the feeling it could be a very, very long time say somewhere in the thousands of years range before the Bugs think about taking on the Alliance again.

Even if they had the information stored in computers, the Bugs would NEVER have left one of those computers behind with that information in it. It was in fact "The System That Must Be Concealed", and you don't conceal something by leaving information about it around to be found.
The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: the future of the starfire series
Post by coldsteel   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:12 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:57 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

If you happen to pick up the game module Stars At War, there are some interludes between scenarios for ISW1, ISW2, G-K War and ISW3, but nothing like full-fledged stories.
Top

Return to Starfire