Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Siddarmark Situation

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Siddarmark Situation
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:38 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:[snip]

Is RFC setting up for Siddarmark to turn into a combination of Imperial Germany and Nazi Germany? There have already been some disturbing parallels.
———————————
It takes two to make peace. It only takes one to make war.
SilverbladeTE wrote:Exactly....

RFC is sort of borrowing from and commenting on history, and, people are people...such things happen because of Human behaviour trends so they kind of repeat themselves as we see in the "real world" today, alas
Peter2 wrote:There is one crucial difference. Siddermark doesn't have the "undefeated army" and "unjust peace treaty" that Adolf Hitler based some of his propaganda on. Of course, they might try manufacturing one . . ..

Of course they are manufacturing a narrative of their own victimization. Charis helped Harchong, Siddermark's enemy in the Jihad rather than help them. They foisted those horrid capitalist practices upon those legacy manufactories run by misguided Sidermarkians. The Charisian Crown Princess is kanoodling with a Dolahran aristocrat, another enemy of Siddermark which caused the nation the most damage.

Pray tell, what hasn't Charis done to insult and brutalize Siddermark? Those arrogant bassids are the cause of all Siddermark's suffering.

Sometimes people have to learn the hard way and some never do... :roll:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:53 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Of course they are manufacturing a narrative of their own victimization. Charis helped Harchong, Siddermark's enemy in the Jihad rather than help them. They foisted those horrid capitalist practices upon those legacy manufactories run by misguided Sidermarkians. The Charisian Crown Princess is kanoodling with a Dolahran aristocrat, another enemy of Siddermark which caused the nation the most damage.

Pray tell, what hasn't Charis done to insult and brutalize Siddermark? Those arrogant bassids are the cause of all Siddermark's suffering.
n7axw wrote:
Sometimes people have to learn the hard way and some never do... :roll:

Don

-

Indeed, Don. As has been mentioned in other posts, Siddermark is ripe for launching an attack on all those godless SOBs that caused all that suffering to her citizens during the Jihad. It begins with all those Inquisition sponsored Temple Loyalists that rioted and killed so many peaceful Siddermarkers. Charis deserves its share of blame because the Inquisition wouldn't have targeted Siddermark if not for Charis and its perverted innovations. The Inquisition wouldn't have done squat if not for the tacit approval of the CoGA. Don't forget Dohlar, the Border Kingdoms and Desnair for being complicit in launching war against Siddermark.

The recent past has been replete with acts of intentional malice from all these miscreants launched at Siddermark. All of what ails Siddermark can be laid at the feet of these other nations. Whatever Siddermark does in response is fully justified.

Basically, just a slightly reworded stump speech from Mussolini or Hitler.
Post by Michae   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Personally I don't see how they can do anything other than Rhetoric in response,as military action would result in them getting their butts handed to them in very short order. Even if Glacierheart and other provinces do decide to secede as a result of said rhetoric,I'd except them to receive Charisan assistance which could repel anything the Republic could throw at them in very short order.The only thing I could see them doing would be to try and take the Canal by force,which wouldn't go well for them .
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:06 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Michae wrote:Personally I don't see how they can do anything other than Rhetoric in response,as military action would result in them getting their butts handed to them in very short order. Even if Glacierheart and other provinces do decide to secede as a result of said rhetoric,I'd except them to receive Charisan assistance which could repel anything the Republic could throw at them in very short order.The only thing I could see them doing would be to try and take the Canal by force,which wouldn't go well for them .

Thesmar can be reinforced by sea (assuming other issues do not come into play there!)
but Glacierheart is in the middle of nowhere, sort of
So it's impossible to reinforce Glacierheart, if I recall layout of the map correctly

note zeppelins cannot transport serious numbers of troops.
A regiment AND its supplies, over time with enough airships, sure, but that's about it
and a regiment won't stop the Siddarmark army!
supplying equipment to make an enemy advance into Glacierheart miserable and bloody is another matter though.

:)
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:50 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Michae wrote:Personally I don't see how they can do anything other than Rhetoric in response,as military action would result in them getting their butts handed to them in very short order. Even if Glacierheart and other provinces do decide to secede as a result of said rhetoric,I'd except them to receive Charisan assistance which could repel anything the Republic could throw at them in very short order.The only thing I could see them doing would be to try and take the Canal by force,which wouldn't go well for them .
SilverbladeTE wrote:Thesmar can be reinforced by sea (assuming other issues do not come into play there!)
So it's impossible to reinforce Glacierheart, if I recall layout of the map correctly

A regiment AND its supplies, over time with enough airships, sure, but that's about it
supplying equipment to make an enemy advance into Glacierheart miserable and bloody is another matter though.

We don't have enough data on just what Thesmar's borders look like. Also, we don't know just how dense the pro government sentiment is between Glacierheart and Thesmar along the Shiloh and Gliff Peak borders. Those areas got hammered during the Jihad but was saved by Charis before the CoGA forces could elevate Temple Loyalists to be the focus of the hatred towards any locals in the region.

Also, my reading suggests that most of the rabidly pro government forces are in the North-western part of Siddarmark. We don't know just how supportive Eastern and Southern Siddarmark are towards the governments current anti-Charisian policy.

The Geography of Glacierheart suggests that it is surrounded by mountains in the north and east. The Tyrnyr Gap in the east is one access point as well as the slightly lower mountain range between the Graywalls and the Glacierheart mountains. Getting combatants through the northeast would be a limited proposition. Getting any sort of supplies through there even more so. That leaves the Tyrnyr Gap and coming in from the west. Assuming Dohlar agrees to help in that rebellion, Siddarmark needs to deploy against Dohlar marching north along the Fairmyn River. The choke points surrounding Glacierheart are pretty defensible against the east. The potential gaps are more south against Thesmar and just how vulnerable those gaps are depends on just how supportive Trokhanos and Southguard provinces are to the federal government. Given how exposed Trokhanos is to the sea, they will likely sit things out at the very worst. At best they side eventually with Thesmar and Glacierheart. The same can be said of most of the provinces south of Old Province.

Bottom line is that I can see a North-South civil war in Siddermark with Siddar City in a remarkably similar position that Washington D.C. held in the ACW.
Post by Julia Minor   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

SilverbladeTE wrote:
Thesmar can be reinforced by sea (assuming other issues do not come into play there!)

Looking at the map on the wiki, if either Westmark or Cliff Peak allies with Glacierheart then Glacierheart could get supplies/assistance shipped by way of the Border States. Whether that would happen is another question, and whether there's enough infrastructure (either canals or railways) in the Border States to move those shipments is yet a third.
Post by Michae   » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:40 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

:)[/quote]
We don't have enough data on just what Thesmar's borders look like. Also, we don't know just how dense the pro government sentiment is between Glacierheart and Thesmar along the Shiloh and Gliff Peak borders. Those areas got hammered during the Jihad but was saved by Charis before the CoGA forces could elevate Temple Loyalists to be the focus of the hatred towards any locals in the region.

Also, my reading suggests that most of the rabidly pro government forces are in the North-western part of Siddarmark. We don't know just how supportive Eastern and Southern Siddarmark are towards the governments current anti-Charisian policy.

The Geography of Glacierheart suggests that it is surrounded by mountains in the north and east. The Tyrnyr Gap in the east is one access point as well as the slightly lower mountain range between the Graywalls and the Glacierheart mountains. Getting combatants through the northeast would be a limited proposition. Getting any sort of supplies through there even more so. That leaves the Tyrnyr Gap and coming in from the west. Assuming Dohlar agrees to help in that rebellion, Siddarmark needs to deploy against Dohlar marching north along the Fairmyn River. The choke points surrounding Glacierheart are pretty defensible against the east. The potential gaps are more south against Thesmar and just how vulnerable those gaps are depends on just how supportive Trokhanos and Southguard provinces are to the federal government. Given how exposed Trokhanos is to the sea, they will likely sit things out at the very worst. At best they side eventually with Thesmar and Glacierheart. The same can be said of most of the provinces south of Old Province.

Bottom line is that I can see a North-South civil war in Siddermark with Siddar City in a remarkably similar position that Washington D.C. held in the ACW.[/quote]

And if Glacierheart really wanted to stop troops getting through the Gap, given that a fair amount of the population are miners and have access to explosives,they could probably plant enough explosives to make any army getting through the gap extremely expensive,if not impossible.Given that the average Claymore weights 1.6 kilograms if they can be delivered by airship,anything going through the Gap is not going to have a good time.
And that's without Composition D explosives as well..
Post by phillies   » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:01 pm

phillies
Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:

The Church of God Awaiting might also be supportive of Glacierheart. It lets them expand their buffer outward.

Return to Safehold