Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

Any Joe Buckley Deaths in the Safehold Series?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Any Joe Buckley Deaths in the Safehold Series?
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:25 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Anyone find any Joe Buckley deaths in the Safehold Series?

Just curious. (I know it's a Tor series, not a Baen series, just wondering whether The Author has gotten over his grudge)

For those who don't get the Joe Buckley reference, here's the introduction (by John Ringo) to the book (multiple authors) "The Many Deaths of Joe Buckley"

The Many Deaths of Joe Buckley wrote:
To be clear, Joe Buckley is not only a real person, but a really great guy.

Unless you meet him online.

Joe is one of those people who in person is very kind, caring and inoffensive, and online suddenly changes into, well, not quite a troll but rather sarcastic and, alas, it must be said, occasionally obnoxious.

Furthermore, back in the Elder Days of the Internet (not the very elder days of war dialing or the slightly less elder days of BBS and GEnie but elder nonetheless), when the concept of every website having a forum, Facebook, et cetera was not even a gleam in the eye of a Stanford dropout, Joe used to frequent one of the very first web forums, called Baen’s Bar. It had been created at the behest of Baen Books founder Jim Baen specifically so he could have long conversations “of cabbages and kings” with his authors and their fans. Joe was a frequent poster, as was I.

In Joe’s case, however, his Internet persona tended to rub certain authors the wrong way. They knew he was a fan and many of his comments were on point, however . . .

See above.

Then Joe Buckley was immortalized in flaming death aboard the RMS Cutthroat (along with several other poor people who had the audacity to nil David Weber during a cutthroat spades game. None of whom even KNEW Joe Buckley.)

And thus the legend was born. I, ahem, admit to some expansion thereof.

Eventually it got to the point of this remembered post from Baen’s Bar:

To anyone who knows.

I’m planning my first submission to Baen Publishing. I’ve followed all the formatting guidelines and it’s already been professionally edited. No guarantees but fingers crossed. However, I have one question:

Who is “Joe Buckley” and is it required to kill him in the book to get published by Baen?

Sincerely,

Xxxxx

(The answer by the way is: No, but it helps.)

Re: Any Joe Buckley Deaths in the Safehold Series?
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lol it would be fun, whether an author meant it as sarcastic revenge or fun inclusion ;)
I love "shout outs" in books and games
And yes I remember all the "forums" back in the day, hence I got mentioned in "Baldurs Gate 2" cause I was a forum regular of whacky notoriety :mrgreen: also a German lass whos handle was "Lanfear" was immortalized as a werewolf NPC
Me...I was put down as the creator of the fabled "Crom Faer"
Hey small potatoes but fun :)

Writing and gaming are art forms with communities

Somehow, I bet Dilandu will meet with messy or humorous deaths in fiction, in Safehold and the Destroyermen
Probably as a Russian tech expert :lol:
And not meant at all bad, he posts lot of good tech stuff but he enjoys pointing out author's mistakes....
I imagine if Dilandu played "Fallout 3" he'd have went nuts at the dumb original ending which ignored a HUGELY important fact about one companion...lol
Post by DMcCunney   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:42 am

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

SilverbladeTE wrote:Lol it would be fun, whether an author meant it as sarcastic revenge or fun inclusion ;)
The process is called "Tuckerization" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerization), and has been going on for decades. It's reached the point where authors have offered it as a perk in crowd funding campaigns to get books published, and some folks get tickled to see what nasty ends the authors can come up with for their characters.

Sometimes it gets touching. David Gerrold did a crowd funder. He had a problem common to freelance writers - bills to pay when clients he'd written for hadn't yet paid him.

One of the folks I met in fandom over 40 years ago was a New York City fan named Elliot Shorter. Elliot died a few years back of complications of diabetes. An old friend of mine was working with David on a project, and also knew Elliot from back then. He sent David a check that covered his shortfall, and said "I don't want you to write me into the book. I deon't want my name in this. I want you to write Elliot Shorter into the book!" David lived in NYC back when and also knew Elliot. He thought that was a splendid idea, and he would not only write Elliot into the book, but make him a continuing character.

I sat back with a big happy smile when I heard about it, and look forward to seeing what does with the character. :D
______
Dennis
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:04 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

DMcCunney wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:Lol it would be fun, whether an author meant it as sarcastic revenge or fun inclusion ;)
The process is called "Tuckerization" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerization), and has been going on for decades. It's reached the point where authors have offered it as a perk in crowd funding campaigns to get books published, and some folks get tickled to see what nasty ends the authors can come up with for their characters.

Sometimes it gets touching. David Gerrold did a crowd funder. He had a problem common to freelance writers - bills to pay when clients he'd written for hadn't yet paid him.

One of the folks I met in fandom over 40 years ago was a New York City fan named Elliot Shorter. Elliot died a few years back of complications of diabetes. An old friend of mine was working with David on a project, and also knew Elliot from back then. He sent David a check that covered his shortfall, and said "I don't want you to write me into the book. I deon't want my name in this. I want you to write Elliot Shorter into the book!" David lived in NYC back when and also knew Elliot. He thought that was a splendid idea, and he would not only write Elliot into the book, but make him a continuing character.

I sat back with a big happy smile when I heard about it, and look forward to seeing what does with the character. :D
______
Dennis

That was decent of him! :)

Yeah loved the "shout outs" in the "Axis of Time" trilogy, lol
Grantville, etc

Return to Safehold