Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aygar and 5 guests

Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by DMcCunney   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am

DMcCunney
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 am

dwileye13 wrote:Many things may be in the Memory Module called the Key
There doubtless are. One of the IC's big frustrations is that they don't know what all is in it. Owl thinks that if it was encrypted by a high-level civilian AI, attempts to access the content would probably wipe it. If it was encrypted by a military AI, he thinks triggering the security protocols in the Key might wipe him, too.

Since RFC obeys the theater adage that it you place a gun in a drawer in the first act, it must be pulled from the drawer and used to shoot at someone/something, we can be pretty confident Paityr will have to enter the Temple at some point, place the key in the recess he was shown in Schueler's vision, put his hands on the God lights and call Schueler's holy name, whereupon something will respond. There's been a lot of speculation here about what the response will be. :P
______
Dennis
Last edited by DMcCunney on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by emeye   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 am

emeye
Commander

Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:57 am
Location: Wien

He will be buried under an avalanche of red herrings.

DMcCunney wrote:Since RFC obeys the theater adage that it you place a gun in a drawer in the first act, it must be pulled from the drawer and used to shoot at someone/something, we can be pretty confident Paityr will ahve to enter the Temple at some point, place the key in the recess he was shown in Schuler's vision, put his hands on the God lights and call Schueler's holy name, whereupon something will respond. There's been a lot of speculation here about what the response will be. :P
______
Dennis
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by DMcCunney   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 am

DMcCunney
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 am

emeye wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:Since RFC obeys the theater adage that it you place a gun in a drawer in the first act, it must be pulled from the drawer and used to shoot at someone/something, we can be pretty confident Paityr will have to enter the Temple at some point, place the key in the recess he was shown in Schueler's vision, put his hands on the God lights and call Schueler's holy name, whereupon something will respond. There's been a lot of speculation here about what the response will be. :P
He will be buried under an avalanche of red herrings.
:lol:

"Quick! Where is the pickling gear? And somebody introduce cream cheese and bagels to go with our morning cherrybean!!"
______
Dennis
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 6157
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Colorado

I want to see Sebastian Athrawes in whatever capacity he ends up with when the story resumes. One hopes he gets to fully utilize his implants and the Cave's NEAT.

I want to see Stefeny Athrawes become Alahnah's guarding seijin. Load up on her combat skills through her implants. Provide her with applications for aiming firearms and a general combat heads-up display. Perhaps some new combat nanites to build muscle quickness and strength.

I want to see whatever the Lovebirds are doing. TFT had nothing about Irys and Hektor. I suspect they will be up to some very interesting. I hope they are setting up alternative information repositories, production centers, colonies or any other way to preserve what they have for the future just in case.

I want to see Hektor and Irys' elder children begin their education and professions.

Mainly, I want to see the next generation begin doing the things that only Nimue and Merlin had done in the past.
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by Meshakhad   » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Meshakhad
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

TangoLima wrote:I'd like to see an electricity demonstration similar
to Merlin's steam demonstration. Test the QBS to see
if it is up and what it's technology threshold/limits
are. Speculation by the IC is all well and good,
however empirical data is needed.


I've been wondering about that. We don't have any definitive evidence that the OBS even has an automated setting.
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 am

SilverbladeTE
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 am

I'd love in one book for the IC to find out the bombardment platform is on the fritz and could never have fired at all, due to some software glitch or time degraded resource (like a radioactive power source) that the initial SNARCs could never have found out by their examinations!

Hehe, imagine the looks on their faces :shock: :twisted:
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by peke   » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm

peke
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 pm

The bombardment system was in good enough shape to blast a maximum-stealth SNARC drone into dust bunnies, without letting it get any useful data.

I think this is a case of "let sleeping dragons lie, til the SIGURD battery's online"

SilverbladeTE wrote:I'd love in one book for the IC to find out the bombardment platform is on the fritz and could never have fired at all, due to some software glitch or time degraded resource (like a radioactive power source) that the initial SNARCs could never have found out by their examinations!

Hehe, imagine the looks on their faces :shock: :twisted:
------------------------------------------------------
There is no problem so complex that it cannot be solved through the judicious application of high-power explosives.
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by Meshakhad   » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Meshakhad
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

peke wrote:The bombardment system was in good enough shape to blast a maximum-stealth SNARC drone into dust bunnies, without letting it get any useful data.

I think this is a case of "let sleeping dragons lie, til the SIGURD battery's online"


True. We know it's online. But we don't know if it has an automated protocol to fire on electrical energy sources on the surface. We have an educated guess from Merlin. I admit that it's likely, but it's not guaranteed. There's also the possibility that someone, maybe Schueler, quietly disabled that protocol.

As I've said before, I think it's time that Merlin started carrying out some experiments with electricity. He knows that his own recon skimmer and the SNARCs aren't enough to set the OBS off. Nor do the systems in the Temple, although there could be a setting to exclude the Temple. That does raise the question of exactly what the sensors are looking for. What if he found a small river on Armageddon Reef (which AFAIK is effectively uninhabited) and set up a waterwheel attached to a generator? Would that set it off? What about a wind farm? What about an electromagnetic pulse?
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm

SilverbladeTE
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 am

Peke
No, we have evidence the self defence systems of the platform are operational and no evidence of gross physical damage (SNARC never saw any damage)

This doesn't mean the software or other critical but obscure system have not been sabotaged or has other issues.

Not something you'd bet your entire continent on, no.
Lol!
But...we should be aware that anything is possible and someone would have surely tried to wreck that damned thing because it orbits Humanity's only home!
Just for building that, who ever authorized it should have been executed
only a lunatic would imperil the last hope of survival with a colossal Weapon of Mass Destruction
Top
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by bkwormlisa   » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Meshakhad wrote:
peke wrote:The bombardment system was in good enough shape to blast a maximum-stealth SNARC drone into dust bunnies, without letting it get any useful data.

I think this is a case of "let sleeping dragons lie, til the SIGURD battery's online"


True. We know it's online. But we don't know if it has an automated protocol to fire on electrical energy sources on the surface. We have an educated guess from Merlin. I admit that it's likely, but it's not guaranteed. There's also the possibility that someone, maybe Schueler, quietly disabled that protocol.

As I've said before, I think it's time that Merlin started carrying out some experiments with electricity. He knows that his own recon skimmer and the SNARCs aren't enough to set the OBS off. Nor do the systems in the Temple, although there could be a setting to exclude the Temple. That does raise the question of exactly what the sensors are looking for. What if he found a small river on Armageddon Reef (which AFAIK is effectively uninhabited) and set up a waterwheel attached to a generator? Would that set it off? What about a wind farm? What about an electromagnetic pulse?

Note that in TFT, Nahrmahn pointed out that such a test might wake something up that they don't want to be. IE, perhaps detecting electricity will activate an AI/PICA/something in the temple that will look around, see what's happening, and have control over the OBS. Likely? Perhaps not, but there's always the chance and it would be Very Bad News. So while they certainly WANT to know, do they want it enough to take the possibly enormous risk?
Top

Return to Safehold