Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Safehold vs Gbaba

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Safehold vs Gbaba
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
DMcCunney wrote: One question is whether a ship in hyper can detect another ship in hyper, and if so, at what distance?

Go reread OAR. One reason that the original Safehold colony needed a diversionary fleet (the one the original Nimue died in) was because a Gbaba scout was following them, but was too far away and too fast to be engaged with weapons.

So ships CAN detect and follow each other in hyper, and presumably that detection range covers much if not the entire border of a star system's limits in hyperspace. If it didn't, it should have been easy for ships to slip away without detection.

That said, "detecting a ship" and "picking out details" aren't the same thing. Hence why the diversionary fleet even worked; at the limits of hyperspace detection, the Gbaba scout couldn't tell that the individual ships it was seeing were in fact TWO ships flying close together. A momentary break in sensor contact allowed the refugee ships to separate from the decoy ships and go hide in normal space while the decoy ships went to the Gbaba to be destroyed, thus fooling the Gbaba into thinking they killed all the ships because the ship destruction count matched the number they saw leaving the Solar System.

The impression I get is that Safehold hyperspace works very much like Honorverse hyperspace, minus the grav currents and grav sails that use them and what not.

one thing I never quite understood was why the originally stealthed ships needed to switch with the non-stealthed ships - who then became stealthed and legged it to pastures green...

at least, that is how I understood the 'swap over'.

Anyone shed some light on the subject?
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
one thing I never quite understood was why the originally stealthed ships needed to switch with the non-stealthed ships - who then became stealthed and legged it to pastures green...

at least, that is how I understood the 'swap over'.

Anyone shed some light on the subject?

It's a 'bait and switch'.

It's going to be difficult to communicate with the colony ships if they're all in stealth, plus what happens if the Gbaba do destroy a 'colony' ship en route and find there was no colony equipment on board? No passenger, just crew?

So, the colony ships are in plain sight all along. Crew members are transferred between ships (like Nimue), people talk to them, all the normal sort of stuff you'd expect during the journey, when a last-shot colony is being planned and stuff might have to change at the last minute.

Until the moment the 'bait' is switched. The switched ships will have whatever is necessary to convince the Gbaba they were the colony ships. I have no idea how far a desperate Terran government would go, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had, for example, volunteer 'colonists' in cryosleep to be believable corpses.

After all, everyone on board the decoy ships knows they're going to die.
Post by evilauthor   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:37 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they had, for example, volunteer 'colonists' in cryosleep to be believable corpses.

Actually, now that I think about it, the "colonists" in the decoy fleet could have just been a bunch of empty clones. Federation tech is clearly good for cloning after all. And since the colonists are in cryo, they don't have to do anything except provide bodies. So a decoy "colonist" can just be a cloned human body with no mind ever put into it.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

evilauthor wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they had, for example, volunteer 'colonists' in cryosleep to be believable corpses.

Actually, now that I think about it, the "colonists" in the decoy fleet could have just been a bunch of empty clones. Federation tech is clearly good for cloning after all. And since the colonists are in cryo, they don't have to do anything except provide bodies. So a decoy "colonist" can just be a cloned human body with no mind ever put into it.

Yes, I was wondering if they'd use actual corpses, since we've been told that cryosleep and death is almost indistinguishable.

But I think there was a 'folorn hope' that all the ships might just possibly break contact with the Gbaba and so get through- so volunteer 'colonists' would be more useful in that unlikely event.
Post by DMcCunney   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:Yes, I was wondering if they'd use actual corpses, since we've been told that cryosleep and death is almost indistinguishable.
The "bait and switch" was to let the actual colony fleet make a clean breakaway. I'm not sure there'd be a point to real or fake corpses aboard the decoy passenger transports. Doing so assumes the Gbaba could tell whether they were occupied from a distance, and how much they'd care. If they blew it out of the sky, what it might contain was irrelevant. I don't see them boarding to check.
______
Dennis
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

DMcCunney wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:Yes, I was wondering if they'd use actual corpses, since we've been told that cryosleep and death is almost indistinguishable.
The "bait and switch" was to let the actual colony fleet make a clean breakaway. I'm not sure there'd be a point to real or fake corpses aboard the decoy passenger transports. Doing so assumes the Gbaba could tell whether they were occupied from a distance, and how much they'd care. If they blew it out of the sky, what it might contain was irrelevant. I don't see them boarding to check.
______
Dennis

Yes, but what happens if a ship 'breaks its back', as happens so often in the Honorverse? No, the Gbaba probably can't tell from a distance whether the ship has 'colonists' on board or not - but they can tell if there's debris, and they can tell if there's absolutely no sign of anybody but crew in that debris. If the ship breaks its back, they could go over and check out the wreckage.

Remember - one thing the Terran Federation know is that the Gbaba have seen the 'secret colony' trick before. They have to presume the Gbaba will not only destroy every ship they can find, they'll check to ensure nothing survived and no-one escaped.

This is the existence of our entire species at stake. Would the Federation really risk a 'cut-price' decoy?
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

Bluesqueak wrote:
DMcCunney wrote:The "bait and switch" was to let the actual colony fleet make a clean breakaway. I'm not sure there'd be a point to real or fake corpses aboard the decoy passenger transports. Doing so assumes the Gbaba could tell whether they were occupied from a distance, and how much they'd care. If they blew it out of the sky, what it might contain was irrelevant. I don't see them boarding to check.
______
Dennis

Yes, but what happens if a ship 'breaks its back', as happens so often in the Honorverse? No, the Gbaba probably can't tell from a distance whether the ship has 'colonists' on board or not - but they can tell if there's debris, and they can tell if there's absolutely no sign of anybody but crew in that debris. If the ship breaks its back, they could go over and check out the wreckage.

Remember - one thing the Terran Federation know is that the Gbaba have seen the 'secret colony' trick before. They have to presume the Gbaba will not only destroy every ship they can find, they'll check to ensure nothing survived and no-one escaped.

This is the existence of our entire species at stake. Would the Federation really risk a 'cut-price' decoy?

Given that the decoy fleet's crew was made up of people who intended to die protecting the real fleet, I don't think it would be a stretch for one of their captains to hit the self-destruct button if it looked like Gbaba boarders were likely.

If that wasn't an option for some reason, they might have loaded the cryo tubes with the already-dead or criminals sentenced to death.
Post by DMcCunney   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

DMcCunney wrote:The "bait and switch" was to let the actual colony fleet make a clean breakaway. I'm not sure there'd be a point to real or fake corpses aboard the decoy passenger transports. Doing so assumes the Gbaba could tell whether they were occupied from a distance, and how much they'd care. If they blew it out of the sky, what it might contain was irrelevant. I don't see them boarding to check.
Again, so what? The colony fleet made a clean break. Earth was englobed and about to be destroyed. The ship Nimue died aboard was simply part of the last defense.

One question is whether the Gbaba recognized the squadron Nimue was part of as a colony fleet. Would they know some of the big ones were passenger transports? Their concern was simply destroying every ship in Earth orbit and making sure none got away. Once they destroyed every ship, I don't see them having any reason to check the wreckage.
Yes, but they did the "check that none escaped" in the process of destroying the decoy fleet. Operation Ark succeeded in breaking contact and going as far and fast as it could in the direction away from the Gbaba. The Gbaba would run sweeps to insure they hadn't missed anything, and that was part of the reason for the colony lockdown on technology - don't do anything a Gbaba scout might detect. The stuff in orbit was already dead and no longer a matter of concern.

It depends on what the TF's leads them to believe the Gbaba will do. I don't see the Gbaba searching the wreckage after they destroy a ship, and I don't think the TF planners did either.
______
Dennis
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

DMcCunney wrote:It depends on what the TF's leads them to believe the Gbaba will do. I don't see the Gbaba searching the wreckage after they destroy a ship, and I don't think the TF planners did either.
______
Dennis

Dennis, we know the Gbaba took prisoners and interrogated them. It's in the first book. The first book also mentions that they've learnt to understand English. We also know they destroyed planets with great big KEWs. So where did they get the prisoners from, if not from planets?

From ships.

So they can and do either search the destroyed ships, or they check out the wreckage. Just as the Federation does, looking for the best way to destroy the enemy.
Post by ericth   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm

ericth
Commander

DrakBibliophile wrote:If you talking about how the Gbaba originally found the Terran Federation, David Weber has said that the Gbaba had visited the area of Space that the TF once was long before humans had left Earth (when they destroyed at least one Alien Civilization).

From what David Weber said, the Gbaba left listening posts in that region of Space that Terran space travel triggered.

IIRC from signing talks, the GBABA periodically patrolled (at long intervals, likely decades or longer) an area where the Federation infringed upon, triggering the response. He also said the Feds had a pretty good idea of the boundaries of the patrolled zone.

Return to Safehold