Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

How many books in this new arc?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
How many books in this new arc?
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

I read how many books RFC expected for this arc to complete (sorting out Safehold) and the final "Gbaba".arc some time ago but I can't recall.the numbers :/
5 and 3 books respectively??
Re: How many books in this new arc?
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:07 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

SilverbladeTE wrote:I read how many books RFC expected for this arc to complete (sorting out Safehold) and the final "Gbaba".arc some time ago but I can't recall.the numbers :/

My understanding is that this arc which will have 3-5 books will complete the series - the Gbaba will be dealt with in an epilogue set in the future, not in separate books as those would be essentially a different series; of course, plans change etc, but I would be surprised if there will Safehold books set in the considerable future (which will be needed to deal with the Gbaba)
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cnrd22 wrote:
My understanding is that this arc which will have 3-5 books will complete the series - the Gbaba will be dealt with in an epilogue set in the future, not in separate books as those would be essentially a different series; of course, plans change etc, but I would be surprised if there will Safehold books set in the considerable future (which will be needed to deal with the Gbaba)

RFC stated it could go multiple ways depending on timing/health.

eg; 3-5 for this newest arc... Of which, TFT was actually just so supposed to be the 'introduction chapter' of the first book... so TFT is more like book 0.5 of this new series/chapter in time.

Then RFC stated that, depending both on his schedule, and on some book length related stuff (I think?).. the Gbaba could either get their own series, with another 'time jump', or could be handled in an epilogue type format at the end of the current new series (Starting with TFT)
Post by DMcCunney   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

cnrd22 wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:I read how many books RFC expected for this arc to complete (sorting out Safehold) and the final "Gbaba".arc some time ago but I can't recall.the numbers :/
I concur.

I'd love to know more about the Gbaba, but we don't need them to appear to learn that.

IIRC, there's TextEv at one point of Merlin thinking about timing. When the Federation first encountered the Gbaba, they were at heavy technical disadvantage. (I think of the TF navy of the time as something like a galley fleet encountering properly handled gun armed galleons.)

Over the 50 years the war lasted, Federation tech got steadily better. By the time the Gbaba reached Earth, the TFN was as good or better ship for ship than the Gbaba vessels. They were simply vastly outnumbered, and if five more appear for every one you kill, having better ships isn't much help.

I believe Merlin thought that if the Federation had had another 50 years, they would have had the technical superiority to take the Gbaba, but they didn't have that 50 years.

So the question is what level of technology is required. The Gbaba are a static culture, and there is TextEv that some of the vessels they used in their attacks were thousands of years old, but newer construction showed no fundamental design changes.

Given that, when humanity faces the Gbaba again, it's a decent bet they will still be at the same tech level they were back then because they had no need to change.

What level of tech will humanity require to feel confident of going though the Gbaba like shit through a wyvern?
______
Dennis
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

The question becomes whether they get the chance to prepare properly. RFC is the only one to answer that. My gut tells me that the story of that final victory is far less interesting than defeating the CoGA. The original initial confrontation with the Gbaba came about because humanity encroached upon them. Assuming that happens again, humanity won't encroach anywhere near them until humanity has the tech and industrial base necessary to defeat them.

I suspect that Safehold won't explore their galactic neighborhood until their tech base is at least as high as they believe they will need to defeat the Gbaba. Exploration will be more about expanding their population and industrial base.

That is really uninteresting. Better focus on the struggles to unify humanity in the universal effort to defeat the Gbaba.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

cnrd22 wrote:

Thank you! :)
Post by Julia Minor   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

DMcCunney wrote:

What level of tech will humanity require to feel confident of going though the Gbaba like shit through a wyvern?

No matter what tech level flesh-and-blood humans decide is a sufficient level of overkill, I'll bet a hot fudge sundae Merlin will demand even more. The guy really wants the Gbaba gone, after all.
Post by Starsaber   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:That is really uninteresting. Better focus on the struggles to unify humanity in the universal effort to defeat the Gbaba.

Agreed. I see the Gbaba as more of the necessary background to set up the scenario RFC wanted to explore in this series than anything.
Post by Vinea   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Vinea
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:The question becomes whether they get the chance to prepare properly. RFC is the only one to answer that. My gut tells me that the story of that final victory is far less interesting than defeating the CoGA. The original initial confrontation with the Gbaba came about because humanity encroached upon them. Assuming that happens again, humanity won't encroach anywhere near them until humanity has the tech and industrial base necessary to defeat them.

I suspect that Safehold won't explore their galactic neighborhood until their tech base is at least as high as they believe they will need to defeat the Gbaba. Exploration will be more about expanding their population and industrial base.

That is really uninteresting. Better focus on the struggles to unify humanity in the universal effort to defeat the Gbaba.

This is like saying that the Starfire series or Dahak series is uninteresting.

The victory against COGA and unification of humanity is a given so it's the journey there that is interesting. That the victory against the Gbaba is equally certain means little to what would make it interesting.

There's at least one good book there for Safehold vs Gbaba. I hope it gets written.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:The question becomes whether they get the chance to prepare properly. RFC is the only one to answer that. My gut tells me that the story of that final victory is far less interesting than defeating the CoGA. The original initial confrontation with the Gbaba came about because humanity encroached upon them. Assuming that happens again, humanity won't encroach anywhere near them until humanity has the tech and industrial base necessary to defeat them.

Vinea wrote:
This is like saying that the Starfire series or Dahak series is uninteresting.

The victory against COGA and unification of humanity is a given so it's the journey there that is interesting. That the victory against the Gbaba is equally certain means little to what would make it interesting.

There's at least one good book there for Safehold vs Gbaba. I hope it gets written.

No, its not. Both of those other series told stories that did not involve years of development. The pace of each of them was compelling. The pace of the Gbaba war is much slower. Besides, those other stories have already been told. Repeating the plots on Safehold is as I said uninteresting.

Return to Safehold