Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

Purchasing Digital "Through Fiery Trials"?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Purchasing Digital "Through Fiery Trials"?
Post by dlindquist   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm

dlindquist
Midshipman

(This was posted to "Free-Range", but someone suggested I post it here instead.)

I see that "Through Fiery Trials" is out now (yay!), but I've having a hard time finding someone to take my money :)

Is there someplace simple where I can by a digital copy (e.g., epub or something) of this book?

I'm positive that I used to be able to do this through Baen Books in the past, but when I look there, this title doesn't seem to be available (though many others are).

I can see it on Amazon, but it's like jumping through hoops there (I'd have to have a Kindle device or something wacky, then go through a bunch of workarounds just to be able to download the book).

And "ebooks.com" seems to be a giant scam from everything I read...

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Purchasing Digital "Through Fiery Trials"?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Downloading Kindle for PC is not difficult nor does it make reading complicated. Besides, it free. I have Kindle for bot my iPad and PC.
Post by dlindquist   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 pm

dlindquist
Midshipman

For those of us that don't run Windows, and that don't wish to be forced to use the Kindle app to read books, it makes life a bit more difficult.

I can't believe there is no simple "buy and download" for the book?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

dlindquist wrote:For those of us that don't run Windows, and that don't wish to be forced to use the Kindle app to read books, it makes life a bit more difficult.

I can't believe there is no simple "buy and download" for the book?

iTunes has it and Google books too.
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

dlindquist wrote:(This was posted to "Free-Range", but someone suggested I post it here instead.)

I see that "Through Fiery Trials" is out now (yay!), but I've having a hard time finding someone to take my money :)

Is there someplace simple where I can by a digital copy (e.g., epub or something) of this book?

I'm positive that I used to be able to do this through Baen Books in the past, but when I look there, this title doesn't seem to be available (though many others are).

I can see it on Amazon, but it's like jumping through hoops there (I'd have to have a Kindle device or something wacky, then go through a bunch of workarounds just to be able to download the book).

And "ebooks.com" seems to be a giant scam from everything I read...

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

It's a Tor title, not Baen, and I don't think Tor markets its own electronic copies. Sorry!

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by dlindquist   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am

dlindquist
Midshipman

Thanks for the Google Books tip -- unfortunately, it looks like they use some horrible DRM via Adobe Digital Editions...

I guess maybe I'll have to figure out how to hack through the Amazon Kindle method...
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

dlindquist wrote:Thanks for the Google Books tip -- unfortunately, it looks like they use some horrible DRM via Adobe Digital Editions...

I guess maybe I'll have to figure out how to hack through the Amazon Kindle method...

I really don't see your problem. The Kindle app is free to download for Android, Windows, Mac and iOS from the usual App stores, so unless your machines are Unix/Linux only, you are sorted. Even then a quick Google suggests Calibre on Linux opens Kindle books, but you would have to check further.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dlindquist wrote:Thanks for the Google Books tip -- unfortunately, it looks like they use some horrible DRM via Adobe Digital Editions...

Barnes and Noble has it as an ebook, and while you have to have a nook app, the copy is stored as an epub. And it is stored without DRM, which means you can use your preferred epub reader.

I refuse to enable Bezos any more than necessary, so I prefer to deal with B&N
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:21 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

I would recommend Kobo which imho is the best epub store out there and the one I always use when I don't want to do Amazon (for general titles that are not available directly like say the ones from Baen)
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

cnrd22 wrote:

I would recommend Kobo which imho is the best epub store out there and the one I always use when I don't want to do Amazon (for general titles that are not available directly like say the ones from Baen)

I use Kobo as well on several platforms. There is at least one windows version that does NOT allow you to import non-Kobo purchased EPUBs. As for buying books from Baen, I was on there recently looking at the "my books" list and saw that many of the books which I had bought were listed as no longer available.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold