Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

Purchasing Digital "Through Fiery Trials"?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Purchasing Digital "Through Fiery Trials"?
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

not available might mean not available to BUY.

There are many on my list that say the same, but I can access and read/download them
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Keith_w wrote: As for buying books from Baen, I was on there recently looking at the "my books" list and saw that many of the books which I had bought were listed as no longer available.

Just checked my account and it seems that all the books I have listed as purchased from Baen(there are 150+ but probably some are freebies, though considering that it's been some 20+ years since Baen has been selling ebooks and I've been there from the beginning...) including ones not published by baen seem to be available for download now regardless if they are available to buy or not (earcs obviously are not available to buy once the book is out and others probably depend on copyright issues if not published by them or if rights reverted), so I believe that any ebook that you can get from them is guaranteed to be available for as long as they will be in business (guarantee which clearly doesn't apply with many other ebook retailers)

Kobo seem solid though and the most reliable after Amazon for most ebooks
Post by Kufat   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Buy from Amazon or wherever, run it through Calibre on Win/Mac/Linux to convert to your preferred format. Five minute job all told, including installing Calibre. Format shifting is possible thanks to Tor's policy of publishing DRM-free eBooks.
Post by dlindquist   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 pm

dlindquist
Midshipman

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll have to check out Kobo and B&N.
Post by Louis R   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

It's slightly more complicated than that: you will be able to download ebooks from Baen as long as they have the right to allow you to. Some people are more dog-in-the-manger about it than others, and require Baen to take the book down as soon as the rights revert. Others aren't, but eventually resell the book to someone who doesn't want it available from anybody else regardless of circumstances. Which is why the delay time after reversion is so indeterminate.

cnrd22 wrote:
Keith_w wrote: As for buying books from Baen, I was on there recently looking at the "my books" list and saw that many of the books which I had bought were listed as no longer available.

Just checked my account and it seems that all the books I have listed as purchased from Baen(there are 150+ but probably some are freebies, though considering that it's been some 20+ years since Baen has been selling ebooks and I've been there from the beginning...) including ones not published by baen seem to be available for download now regardless if they are available to buy or not (earcs obviously are not available to buy once the book is out and others probably depend on copyright issues if not published by them or if rights reverted), so I believe that any ebook that you can get from them is guaranteed to be available for as long as they will be in business (guarantee which clearly doesn't apply with many other ebook retailers)

Kobo seem solid though and the most reliable after Amazon for most ebooks
Post by Louis R   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Has Calibre sorted their problems with the new Kindle format? If not, you have to download the books using an older version of the reader that can only read the older [.azw?] files or you will automatically get the new one. Officially, there's still no DRM, but with a proprietary file format that nobody can read without Amazon software...

Kufat wrote:Buy from Amazon or wherever, run it through Calibre on Win/Mac/Linux to convert to your preferred format. Five minute job all told, including installing Calibre. Format shifting is possible thanks to Tor's policy of publishing DRM-free eBooks.

Return to Safehold