Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

[SPOILER] Safehold aircraft?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: [SPOILER] Safehold aircraft?
Post by Whitecold   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 am

Whitecold
Commander

PeterZ wrote:Consider that the angels had flying vehicles and those were well documented. Might not some enterprising soul consider how to duplicate that feat without violating the proscriptions? Sort of like Dr. Lywys and her incendiary compounds early on.

The angels had antigrav, meaning they could hover like an airship.
Obviously from wyverns it is known that it is not impossible, I'd consider that a more likely source of inspiration for heavier-than-air. Still, it is a tricky business that without any knowledge of aircraft is likely going to get the first few trying it killed.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:47 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Well the Inner Circle can engineer in safety...not.only by historical record but with hyper accelerated VR

I suggested twin engine because that aircraft worked and iirc can be built purely with plywood
Using less powerful engines in its.huge engine bays you should be able to get some useful payload and range
Range is crucial on Safehold, I think aircraft carriers are gonna be late/few/rare? But ability to cross oceans massively helps Charis get to enemy or drop supplies etc

Dakota is of.course maybe a possibility in wooden frame
More likely is Wellington bomber which WAS largely wooden

P 38 is another possibility but again unsure.if wood can replace aluminium in practice

Sure, lesser capabilities but still when the enemy has NO such capabities....behold! the pigeon's butt is mightier than the man's sword :p

Straffing aircraft say a Mosquito with 6 or 8 machine guns is another possibility
With reduced power, probably forced to have either guns or bombs but not both
Post by Krenn   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Krenn
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

SilverbladeTE wrote:Well the Inner Circle can engineer in safety...not.only by historical record but with hyper accelerated VR

I suggested twin engine because that aircraft worked and iirc can be built purely with plywood
Using less powerful engines in its.huge engine bays you should be able to get some useful payload and range
Range is crucial on Safehold, I think aircraft carriers are gonna be late/few/rare? But ability to cross oceans massively helps Charis get to enemy or drop supplies etc

Dakota is of.course maybe a possibility in wooden frame
More likely is Wellington bomber which WAS largely wooden

P 38 is another possibility but again unsure.if wood can replace aluminium in practice

Sure, lesser capabilities but still when the enemy has NO such capabities....behold! the pigeon's butt is mightier than the man's sword :p

Straffing aircraft say a Mosquito with 6 or 8 machine guns is another possibility
With reduced power, probably forced to have either guns or bombs but not both

With any sort of steam-powered variant of a famous bomber or cargo plane, there's no reason why the steam engines would need to be the same size of, or in the same place as, the original historical engines.

Doing the math here....

The current generation Praigyr produced about 0.13 Old Terran horsepower per pound, whereas Hindenburg’s diesels had produced 0.3 horsepower per pound.

Looking up a wide range of large, WW1-WWII aircraft...

and there's bad news. About half the aircraft I can think of COULD have replaced their engines with a heavier, steam-powered equivalent... if they had been willing to dedicate their ENTIRE cargo bay, and payload weight, to carrying replacement steam engines.

The DO X flying boat is one of the better examples...

DO X1a
Empty weight 28 metric tons
payload+ fuel 28 metric tons
top speed 131 mph
Engines 12
total power: 7320 hp
Frame: Aluminum

7320 hp, at .13 HP per pound, works out as ...

21 metric tons worth of steam engines and boilers.

We can save 4 metric tons by taking out the 12 ORIGINAL engines, which we won't be using...

But that still gives us this:

DO X1a (steam version)
Empty weight 45 metric tons
payload+ fuel 11 metric tons
top speed 131 mph
Engines (1 boiler, 12 driven engines)
total power: 7320 hp
Frame: Aluminum

11 tons for an aircraft that size is pretty much just enough for fuel and crew. and 10 tons of fuel is actually a little low, for what an aircraft of that size would normally want to carry. And we would still need to replace the aluminum frame with a steel one.

In order for this to work, you would basically wind up replacing the entire cargo bay of a DX1a with a single giant boiler/ flame-box /moisture recuperator, and then running steam pipes to the 6 engine naccelles, which contained two engines each. Those engines would actually run on the external supply of steam from the cargo bay, and send used steam back via a return pipe, to be recycled.

Most other aircraft I could find would actually be in WORSE shape... they'd barely have any weight left over for fuel at ALL, or else would exceed their maximum takeoff weight entirely.

A wellington would be about 3 tons overweight with a replacement steam engine and no fuel. a Mosquito would be about 8 tons over, likewise. A C-47 skytrain would be about 1 ton over, same.

Some of the WWII-era, planes which were custom-built to set the flight distance record could probably make the conversion... if you replaced about half of their enormous fuel resorvior in for a steam engine, instead. and didn't carry any cargo, other than the flight crew.

of course, that would cut the range in half, too. and the only purpose the aircraft could serve would be either single-person VIP transport, recon, or MAYBE carrying a few light machineguns as armanents.

The Gasuden Koken or the Bleriot 110 would be good candidates.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:14 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Krenn
Hm, would hot bulb engines work?
More versatile fuel use, no electrical needs, not as good as modern diesels but equal to up to 1940s diesels
Use a "starter cartridge" perhaps for heat and cranking engines?

Charis now produces kerosene, maybe higher octane avgas later?

I like aircraft, just not my bailiwick :)
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:Well the Inner Circle can engineer in safety...not.only by historical record but with hyper accelerated VR

I suggested twin engine because that aircraft worked and iirc can be built purely with plywood...

During the inter-war years, German developed a robust glider program/culture. It trained most of the most innovative aircraft designers and virtually all of the Luftwaffe pilots.

Gliders (probably) don't violate the Proscriptions and (sailplanes, especially,) are capable of much longer flights than most people would credit.

Safehold needs to learn to glide before they can learn to fly.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:00 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

I suggested twin engine because that aircraft worked and iirc can be built purely with plywood...

During the inter-war years, German developed a robust glider program/culture. It trained most of the most innovative aircraft designers and virtually all of the Luftwaffe pilots.

Gliders (probably) don't violate the Proscriptions and (sailplanes, especially,) are capable of much longer flights than most people would credit.

Safehold needs to learn to glide before they can learn to fly.

Yup - I've often thought that hang-gliders would be an excellent civilian low cost intro to flying in safehold.

Giving people an 'angels' eye view, and clearly wind powered [so not very threatening], but with the subtle effect getting people used to the whole flight concept and training a whole set of pilots in waiting.
Last edited by isaac_newton on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:00 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold
Oh that's very true they'd absolutely need to work up a LOT of folk trained in glider or powered flight somehow!

Hm...use a small number of Inner Circle, taken to Nimue's Cave to fly in simulation, hyper heuristic mode, work up a training manual in safety
Like couple of Edward Howsymnn's people since they "designed" them, thus giving "helpful guidance"...?

If they design in VR, built a large enough ski jump for initial glider trials
Then much more massive shallow ramp with steam powered catapult launch for larger airframes...plausible?
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Isaaac Newton
Well the Church can't complain about gliders as "wind" is one of the allowed power sources! ;)
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:Isaaac Newton
Well the Church can't complain about gliders as "wind" is one of the allowed power sources! ;)

Indeed. :-)
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:If they design in VR, built a large enough ski jump for initial glider trials
Then much more massive shallow ramp with steam powered catapult launch for larger airframes...plausible?

They have hot-air balloons and hydrogen balloons, they don't really need catapults. If they do use catapults then bungee cord(s) make any open field a glider-port.

The whole point of gliders is to develop non-IC interest in, and study of, aeronautics. Relying in the inner circle's access to TF history is counter-productive to the need to inspire innovation in the general populace and loosen the hold of the Proscriptions on the minds thereof.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Safehold