Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

TFT *SPOILERS* thoughts, discussions, and future speculation

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT *SPOILERS* thoughts, discussions, and future specula
Post by JeffEngel   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:Though I do wonder...how many of all these very convenient heart attacks: Duchairn, Greghor etc were checked for Federation cryogenic toxins....?
Time passes folk get old, death happen, but...still, anyone else thinking Chihiro and/or the Inquisition may be up to dirty tricks?

Not I. These are guys who'd been through enormous stress and who were not spring chickens.

The notable death toll among senior characters in TFT also needs to account for the fact that it took place over more years than the rest of the series combined. They had a lot of time to suffer, get old, and die.

Furthermore, the Sudden Geezer Death Syndrome only caught Duchairn, Stohnar, Thirsk and Rainbow Waters. (Let me know if I'm forgetting anyone that way - it happens.) Note that all of them were very ready to retire when they died, or well before it, if only they could be spared to. Other deaths were more dramatic accidents or assassinations.

That said, I do wish the IC had slipped Thirsk at least some medical nanotech for a longer, healthier senior span.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:07 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:Though I do wonder...how many of all these very convenient heart attacks: Duchairn, Greghor etc were checked for Federation cryogenic toxins....?
Time passes folk get old, death happen, but...still, anyone else thinking Chihiro and/or the Inquisition may be up to dirty tricks?

Not I. These are guys who'd been through enormous stress and who were not spring chickens.

The notable death toll among senior characters in TFT also needs to account for the fact that it took place over more years than the rest of the series combined. They had a lot of time to suffer, get old, and die.

Furthermore, the Sudden Geezer Death Syndrome only caught Duchairn, Stohnar, Thirsk and Rainbow Waters. (Let me know if I'm forgetting anyone that way - it happens.) Note that all of them were very ready to retire when they died, or well before it, if only they could be spared to. Other deaths were more dramatic accidents or assassinations.

That said, I do wish the IC had slipped Thirsk at least some medical nanotech for a longer, healthier senior span.

Ditto
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

harding wrote:2. Here's the list of countries that Poland fought in 1920s:
-Soviet Union
First one was caused by attack of Soviet Union on Vilnus.

Sigh.

First of all, there were no Soviet Union at this time.

Second, you nanages to miss Polish–Lithuanian War, Polish–Czechoslovak War of 1919, Polish–Ukrainian War, several uorizings in German Silesia...

Third, it was Poland who invaded Soviet territory after negotiation attempts. And was beaten, must point out. Even Entente - not pro-Soviet at all - considered Poland as agressor in 1920.

So... please, ceck the historical facts first. They arent always what the looks like. And I have plenty enough of blatant anti-Russian bigotry (bordering on outright racism) from Lyonheart above.

Offtop closed by me, I would not respond on plitical posts in this topic anymore.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:05 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

One of the things that intrigues me is the reputation of Charisian educational opportunities around Safehold. The visit to Dolahr reinforced something I assumed to be true; that Charisian schools had a reputation of preeminence. Now toss is the UP's Harchong heritage. That suggests to me that ~100 million ethnic Harchongese folk will view a Charisian education as the cat's meow for their families. This is the social group that values education above all else. That used a meritocracy of education as the safety valve for to draw the efforts of its best and brightest citizens born outside the aristocracy away from fomenting rebellion.

Half of these people have just become convinced that Charisian education is supreme. Screw the established schools of yesteryear! What has the classic Harchong education done but provide eloquence for the vapid and dull witted? Provided rhetoric for those without true understanding? After the revolution the answer is not much.

The UP, East Harchong, the Border Kingdoms, Dohlar, Silkiah and anywhere that wants to understand just how to harness the innovations sweeping Safehold will want their smartest and most driven to be educated in Charis. Schueler's Visitation will emphasize that. I suspect that his Visitation will cause all sorts of turmoil everywhere BUT the Empire of Charis. That archipelago will be Safehold's safe haven during the upheaval. I doubt that the Church of Charis will deny access to its schools and protection for anyone who wants to attend.

As long as no further incursion of the archangels manifests, Charis will be the best place for EVERYONE to send their children for an education. Even nations in conflict with Charis will have its children attending Charisian schools protected. That is a generation or two of influencing the best and brightest of Safehold.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lyonheart

Doh, got it mixed up because to me he was just "Uncle Will"
Was grand uncle.in law (maternal grandmother's sister's husband)
Not great uncle, lol trying to remember all the folks and relationships...eek :p
Large but very close (happy) family so everyone was like "uncle/aunt/cousin" for sbort :)

Uncle Will never spoke about his service except when he was occasionally blind drunk to blot out the horrors :(
We know he was "mentioned in dispatches" and was at Belsen...beyond that nothing much, his wife died ages ago so we don't know for sure which unit he was in
Apparently he'd seen enough awfulness in 1940 and even more at Normandy

Really lovely wee guy, always full of good cheer, hair brylcreamed, dapper clothes, loved him to bits, awesome accordion player :)

He cried his eyes out in those rare drunk periods cause when they went into Belsen the British troops gave the poor souls food, usually "doorstep" sandwiches (very thick bread, thick slice of corned beef)
It killed them with over eating, he felt horrified, monstrous at killing kids he'd desperately wanted to save
Takes a special kind of Evil to make a good man suffer that
One of many reasons I hate Nazis :/
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I'm beginning to think Siddermark is the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Empire had significant economic prowess leading to WWI and allowed its varied national components a great deal of local autonomy. The same can be said for Siddermark leading to the Sword of Schueler.

After the Clyntahn's Jihad, Siddermark appears to be asserting centralized control over the provinces. That won't go over well in Glacierheart, Thesmar and perhaps even Shiloh and Cliff Peak. Yes, the government is trying to implement relief measures, but those measures will be tied to the machine politics predominant in those other provinces. If Glacierheart chooses to seek outside assistance for its problems, will the federal government allow them their previous autonomy? If not, will those stubborn folk take it quietly?

I begin to think they won't. That a great deal of those citizens will resist and perhaps even violently resist the federal government's usurpation of its autonomy.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Just had a thought. Seijin Khody went to speak with Schueler in Zion. Khody's body was returned lifeless without a mark on him. I wonder if Schueler didn't download Khody's personality much like Nahrmahn's? If Khody's concerns cause a confrontation with Chihiro leading to Khody's death, Schueler may well have tried to save him anyway he could. Something like Chihiro stopping Khody"s heart using the NEAT interface and Schueler transferring the personality before the brain died. I am assuming Chihiro used whatever over ride authority a Chief Executive had in the Terran Federation Government had during times of war as modified for Safehold to execute Khody. It may well be that's what is in the KEY, Seijin Khody providing Schueler on last services. Or maybe his virtual personality is at work in Safehold awaiting Chihiro's awakening.

What happened to Khody is one of the elements that have me on the side of the visitation genuinely sent by Schueler. The entire Khody story arc inspired generations of his admirers to devote their lives to his memory and to the defense of the moral responsibilities of the CoGA. He must have been truly inspiring to have succeeded so throughly. Inspiring enough to move the man that inspired him. Inspiring enough to move Schueler to meeting the moral responsibility he accepted when he joined Operation Ark.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

OWL's new version wetware is available from April 904. As far as I can see neither Cayleb nor Sharleyan have managed to get it installed by the end of the book in March 916. Whenever it is explicitly mentioned the delay is due to not being able to get away for the time required. However it only seems to take a couple of five-days. In a dozen years neither of them has been able to cut a couple of five-days out of their schedule to go on a 'spiritual retreat' at St Zherneau's /St Evehlyns or wherever? How believable is that? Their confessor is obviously neglecting their spiritual welfare in an unconscionable way. Alternatively they need to complain to the Emperor's union local about not getting any vacation time! :lol: :lol:
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Randomiser wrote:OWL's new version wetware is available from April 904. As far as I can see neither Cayleb nor Sharleyan have managed to get it installed by the end of the book in March 916. Whenever it is explicitly mentioned the delay is due to not being able to get away for the time required. However it only seems to take a couple of five-days. In a dozen years neither of them has been able to cut a couple of five-days out of their schedule to go on a 'spiritual retreat' at St Zherneau's /St Evehlyns or wherever? How believable is that? Their confessor is obviously neglecting their spiritual welfare in an unconscionable way. Alternatively they need to complain to the Emperor's union local about not getting any vacation time! :lol: :lol:

Let's see both Alahnah and Lewys got theirs right after the episode with the great dragons and the family took a vacation. Why the heck didn't Cayleb and Sharley get theirs at the same time? I suspect the answer is that they did get their implants then.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Well, well, well, Dilandu,

You don't like my anti-soviet, not anti-Russian comments?

You call them racist?

How telling.

How typical to call my criticism racist.

You demonstrate the standard communist party member argument strategy and when it doesn't work, you cry I'm unfair and don't want to discuss it anymore.

Aww, how sad. :( NOT.

Actually I'm quite fine with that, as I'm more than done with your patronizing.

I realize psychologically speaking that works so well with a lot of ignorant westerners, not just Americans, but there are still quite a number of us who definitely know better than your lies and misrepresentations, as you have discovered here.

If you're more honest in the future, we might contemplate whether you future comments are worth considering, but you've dug yourself quite a hole, and you did it all by yourself; so enjoy trying to earn our respect again.

L

[quote="Dilandu"][quote="harding"]
2. Here's the list of countries that Poland fought in 1920s:
-Soviet Union
First one was caused by attack of Soviet Union on Vilnus.

[/quote]

Sigh.

First of all, there were no Soviet Union at this time.

Second, you nanages to miss Polish–Lithuanian War, Polish–Czechoslovak War of 1919, Polish–Ukrainian War, several uorizings in German Silesia...

Third, it was Poland who invaded Soviet territory after negotiation attempts. And was beaten, must point out. Even Entente - not pro-Soviet at all - considered Poland as agressor in 1920.

So... please, ceck the historical facts first. They arent always what the looks like. And I have plenty enough of blatant anti-Russian bigotry (bordering on outright racism) from Lyonheart above.

[b]Offtop closed by me, I would not respond on plitical posts in this topic anymore.[/b][/quote]
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Safehold