Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 70 guests

Did I miss it?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Did I miss it?
Post by Rogue10   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Rogue10
Midshipman

Very minor spoiler (from the very first snippet of TFT)
Was there any clairification why (Electronic) Nahrman and Merlin are talking in "Year of God" 890, when E-Nahrman only came into existence around 895 or so?

I've looked around a bit but didn't see anything....
Re: Did I miss it?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Best Guess is that it is a typo and should be YOG 900, instead of 890
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:43 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I noticed this year typo as well. I figured just ignored it and hope it's fixed in the release version.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:50 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Wasn't fixed in the "Look inside" version on Amazon
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Rogue10   » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Rogue10
Midshipman

Yeah, I was rather hoping for some word-of-god or Textev to confirm it....
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 am

Jeslis

No forum posts in 8 days - I assume RFC is away with family at this time. Hopefully we'll get 1 more snippet before release, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't.

PS; Who releases books in the weeks AFTER christmas? Gosh darnit.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:14 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jeslis wrote:PS; Who releases books in the weeks AFTER christmas? Gosh darnit.

Idiot publishers who don't realize most folks spent the majority of their funds Christmas shopping *prior* to the holidays??
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Theemile   » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
Jeslis wrote:PS; Who releases books in the weeks AFTER christmas? Gosh darnit.

Idiot publishers who don't realize most folks spent the majority of their funds Christmas shopping *prior* to the holidays??

You mean the idiot publishers who hope your distant uncle sent you an Amazon gift card for the holidays and are planning to be the end recipient of his largess?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Jeslis

Theemile wrote:
OrlandoNative wrote:

You mean the idiot publishers who hope your distant uncle sent you an Amazon gift card for the holidays and are planning to be the end recipient of his largess?

Shh, get out of here with your logic!
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Jeslis wrote:Shh, get out of here with your logic!

Hey, logic could have set humanity up to reach the stars centuries ago. Records indicate that in Ancient Greece, Aristarchus and the Pythagoreans proposed the Heliocentric (Sun in the middle) model for the solar system rather than going along with the standard "Earth is at the center" that most people back then accepted as fact.
Add to that the fact that the Greeks had Automatic Doors (water-powered) and working steam engines...
Such potential, squandered. :(

Point 1) The logic that Aristarchus used was that Fire is nobler than Earth and the Center is a nobler position than the edge, so the Sun being made of Fire had to therefore be in the middle.
Point 2) The doors were mounted on axles with ropes coiled around them underground. The ropes were attached to buckets that were fed from a pressurized container set under an altar,once a fire was lit on the altar, the air in the container expanded, forcing the water into the buckets and thus pulling the doors open.
Point 3) One model was a sphere mounted to spin around a vertical axis. Water inside the sphere was boiled and ejected through two or more angled pipes arranged around the circumference, thus causing it to spin.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Safehold