Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Elevators...????

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Elevators...????
Post by pbreed   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 pm

pbreed
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'm rereading at the sign of triumph, in preparation for TFT...

Early in the book Page 114...
The eight floor protectors arms boasted no less than three elevators....

Ok How are elevators in Sidmark powered?
No electricity, no steam, seems unlikely to have a water wheel downtown......
Draft Dragons at the back of the building?
Re: Elevators...????
Post by JBNL1972   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 pm

JBNL1972
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pbreed wrote:I'm rereading at the sign of triumph, in preparation for TFT...

Could also be counterweighted with a water reservoir on the counterweight, operated by a staff member. Rooftop water pumps (wind powered) are plentiful (not sure about Siddar City, but there's textev of them dominating the skyline in Manchyr (Corisande)
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

JBNL1972 wrote:

Could also be counterweighted with a water reservoir on the counterweight, operated by a staff member. Rooftop water pumps (wind powered) are plentiful (not sure about Siddar City, but there's textev of them dominating the skyline in Manchyr (Corisande)

They're quite old - single person 'flying chairs' date back to the eighteenth century or earlier. And expensive- I know them from various palaces. The Winter Palace, for example, and Versailles.

Screw lift? Freight ones were usually windlasses.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Perhaps a bunch of servants on thread-wheels.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by evilauthor   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

The Temple probably has elevators too, but they'd work by "magic". And probably inspired the more mundane muscle/water/wind powered elevators like the one used in that hotel.

Also, with counterweights, whoever or whatever is actually moving the elevator doesn't even have to move the elevator's entire weight. The counterweight takes away alot of the burden of moving the elevator up and down.

What I really want to know is how good the brakes are on the elevator if/when there's an unexpected loss of "power". You don't want it dropping to the bottom floor (or shooting to the top) if whatever moves the elevator goes on an unexpected break.
Post by Whitecold   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 am

Whitecold
Commander

evilauthor wrote:The Temple probably has elevators too, but they'd work by "magic". And probably inspired the more mundane muscle/water/wind powered elevators like the one used in that hotel.

Also, with counterweights, whoever or whatever is actually moving the elevator doesn't even have to move the elevator's entire weight. The counterweight takes away alot of the burden of moving the elevator up and down.

What I really want to know is how good the brakes are on the elevator if/when there's an unexpected loss of "power". You don't want it dropping to the bottom floor (or shooting to the top) if whatever moves the elevator goes on an unexpected break.

If it is a design that is handed down from Creation, they'll have a fail-safe ratchet. Elevator rope failure used to be a common occurrence without steel cables.
Post by doug941   » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:10 am

doug941
Commander

Whitecold wrote:
evilauthor wrote:The Temple probably has elevators too, but they'd work by "magic". And probably inspired the more mundane muscle/water/wind powered elevators like the one used in that hotel.

If it is a design that is handed down from Creation, they'll have a fail-safe ratchet. Elevator rope failure used to be a common occurrence without steel cables.

They could be as simple as the old style known as a Paternoster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

Pretty fun to ride as long as you don't have an "OOPS" event.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

doug941 wrote:They could be as simple as the old style known as a Paternoster.

I don't actually think a Paternoster is that simple. It solves any problems about summoning the Elevator car. But the question was 'How are they powered?' A Paternoster has a lot of mass to get in motion, because of all the cars, and the large flywheels top and bottom. Then it has to be kept going all the time at a reasonably uniform speed so people can judge getting on and off. I've used the one in Vienna City Hall and it is fun. But maybe not so much if you are a woman in a long skirt.

(Edited 19 Dec to to make the quote obvious)
Last edited by Randomiser on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by doug941   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm

doug941
Commander

Randomiser wrote:They could be as simple as the old style known as a Paternoster.

I don't actually think a Paternoster is that simple. It solves any problems about summoning the Elevator car. But the question was 'How are they powered?' A Paternoster has a lot of mass to get in motion, because of all the cars, and the large flywheels top and bottom. Then it has to be kept going all the time at a reasonably uniform speed so people can judge getting on and off. I've used the one in Vienna City Hall and it is fun. But maybe not so much if you are a woman in a long skirt.[/quote]

As has mentioned in earlier posts, a horizontal wheel with dragon(s) or a waterwheel with relatively constant flow would work.
That long dress would qualify as an OOPS, just not as bad as having a limb sticking out of your booth.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:They could be as simple as the old style known as a Paternoster.

I don't actually think a Paternoster is that simple. It solves any problems about summoning the Elevator car. But the question was 'How are they powered?' A Paternoster has a lot of mass to get in motion, because of all the cars, and the large flywheels top and bottom. Then it has to be kept going all the time at a reasonably uniform speed so people can judge getting on and off. I've used the one in Vienna City Hall and it is fun. But maybe not so much if you are a woman in a long skirt.[/quote]

There was one in the chemistry department of Imperial College up to the 1980's at least [IIRC].

Was pretty efficient.

Return to Safehold