Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet #17
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

AHA! We finally have clear textev on the long discussion about whether or not it is possible to install neural interfaces, 'wetware', for adults or only for infants, and it turns out to be perfectly possible to retrofit adults, the only hassle has been the difficulty of concealing them, as some of us have been interpreting the existing textev for a long time.
Post by Randomiser   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

FriarBob wrote:
I think most people will get what you meant, but obviously some will not. It was an act of love to not create a child that you knew would die at an age that it could barely even understand what death even was.

It's obviously way too late to amend the text to make that more clear, but I wish one of the copyeditors had suggested it because it probably would have helped with clarity for some.

Really it's pretty plain. Keith_w just had an off day, or didn't read the text very carefully.
Post by Keith_w   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Randomiser wrote:
FriarBob wrote:
I think most people will get what you meant, but obviously some will not. It was an act of love to not create a child that you knew would die at an age that it could barely even understand what death even was.

It's obviously way too late to amend the text to make that more clear, but I wish one of the copyeditors had suggested it because it probably would have helped with clarity for some.

Really it's pretty plain. Keith_w just had an off day, or didn't read the text very carefully.

I apologize for my post. I read the snippet and Nimue and either skipped "Alban" or failed to recognize the implications thereof. Nimue C was a major part of that conversation and obviously that was who I was thinking of.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:52 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Very Good One! :D

Oh, I was wondering about the heir problem and am glad to see that there's a solution. :)
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:04 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Keith_w wrote:
FriarBob wrote:

Randomiser wrote:Really it's pretty plain. Keith_w just had an off day, or didn't read the text very carefully.

I apologize for my post. I read the snippet and Nimue and either skipped "Alban" or failed to recognize the implications thereof. Nimue C was a major part of that conversation and obviously that was who I was thinking of.

Wish I had a nickle for every time I missed something in a passage. Heck, then I could just give you guys the books.

At least until we have 3 in college simultaneously in about two years. :roll:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Kufat   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It's a little late in the year for my allergies to be acting up like this...sniffle
Post by Vinea   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Vinea
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

FriarBob wrote:

Would I abort a child if I knew he or she would not live past 10 because of a medical condition if I knew that the years they had would still be good and the end mercifully swift?

I think not but it's arguable either way.

Is it selfish to have kids in a doomsday scenario? I dunno if I would but I could see it being arguable either way unless you believe that the scenario is fundamentally different from parents needing to make the same decision after getting a bad result from prenatal testing.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Vinea wrote:
FriarBob wrote:

Would I abort a child if I knew he or she would not live past 10 because of a medical condition if I knew that the years they had would still be good and the end mercifully swift?

I think not but it's arguable either way.

Is it selfish to have kids in a doomsday scenario? I dunno if I would but I could see it being arguable either way unless you believe that the scenario is fundamentally different from parents needing to make the same decision after getting a bad result from prenatal testing.

There are parallels. However, there is also a difference between aborting a child after conception and to avoid conceiving altogether. To conceive a child who I KNOW will live only 10 years of life filled with people treating him/her as an object of pity with no contemporaries to speak of. A life where hope does not exist and for the vast majority nothing one does MATTERS. Even the devout will see all life ground under the Gbaba juggernaught. The Second Coming.....doesn't come and God's salvation doesn't manifest however one's religion says it will.

Recall that Operation Ark is a complete secret and almost everyone on Earth dies BELIEVING humanity is dead.

Would I subject my child to that? I think not.
Post by SCC   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:00 am

SCC
Commander

elaineofshalott wrote:
Keith_w wrote:Thank you for this 2nd snippet this weekend RFC.

I think you are ignoring the circumstances. Any child Nimue Alban had had would have been doomed to die before reaching adulthood. Merlin has said repeatedly that even when Nimue was born most responsible people had stopped having children. It was suggested that Nimue's mother had circumvented agreed upon contraceptives and that is why her parents' marriage fell apart.

Sort of, people of Nimue's social circle may well have, but that's because they knew the real score with regards to the Gabba, most people didn't and still kept having children from what textev we have.

I also find it interesting how the possibility of Owl not reconstructing Nimue's DNA so that the child of Nimue and Gahrvai would be Nimue's biological daughter, is that impossible or does Owl that have that information? And what level of gene engineering can OWL perform? And will the kids be getting implants?
Post by Keith_w   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:33 am

Keith_w
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote: [uote="Keith_w"][uote="FriarBob"]

It's obviously way too late to amend the text to make that more clear, but I wish one of the copyeditors had suggested it because it probably would have helped with clarity for some.[uote]

[uote="Randomiser"]Really it's pretty plain. Keith_w just had an off day, or didn't read the text very carefully.[uote]

Wish I had a nickle for every time I missed something in a passage. Heck, then I could just give you guys the books.

At least until we have 3 in college simultaneously in about two years. :roll:

Thank you RFC. Having had 2 in college at the same time, I understand what you are looking forward to. I hope that they will be attending locally so that you will still have time to write while busy assisting their college careers :)
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold