Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Snippet #16

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet #16
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:
Randomiser wrote:I'm sorry I've been pretty slow on the uptake about this, although this is the first time Nynian's wedding has actually been referenced in the text, but how does a fully avowed nun, the Mother Superior of her order yet, manage to marry anyone? What about her responsibilities to the Order even if she could get her vows dispensed?

runsforcelery wrote:No one ever said the Sisters of Saint Kody required celibacy. You might remember her role as one of the most celebrated courtesans of Zion, for example. Do not make the mistake of drawing too close parallels to Terrestrial religious orders or over generalizing between them.

Well, yes, there was that former career ... I suppose I considered it as a justified operational strategy in her struggle to reform the church rather than a personal preference and it certainly didn't involve a different set of holy vows. But, yes, I did make assumptions not in evidence about the religious practices of Safehold, you got me there.

So has Nynian retired from the order so as to become a wife and mother? And has Sandaria succeeded her? That would get a few paranoids going again!

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Snippet #16
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

LOL :lol:

runsforcelery wrote:
Randomiser wrote:
Well, yes, there was that former career ... I suppose I considered it as a justified operational strategy in her struggle to reform the church rather than a personal preference and it certainly didn't involve a different set of holy vows. But, yes, I did make assumptions not in evidence about the religious practices of Safehold, you got me there.

So has Nynian retired from the order so as to become a wife and mother? And has Sandaria succeeded her? That would get a few paranoids going again!

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]

Return to Safehold