Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests

Snippet #15

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet #15
Post by PalmerSperry   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm

PalmerSperry
Commander

Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Julia Minor wrote:Interesting hints about Delthak's contingency plans. I wonder if the inner circle's plot to get Harchong to industrialize involves their capture of Charisian equipment/manuals "before they can be destroyed"? (Followed by Cayleb reimbursing Delthak for his losses, of course.)


Bonus points if they can arrange things so that it seems they attempted to destroy the manuals where prevented from doing so previously? The “lucky recipients” will be less likely to realise they’re doing what the inner circle wants, and will also have to engage their brains in order to fill in the blanks (which is also of course something the inner circle wants to encourage!).
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Scotland

isaac_newton wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:Interesting hints about Delthak's contingency plans. I wonder if the inner circle's plot to get Harchong to industrialize involves their capture of Charisian equipment/manuals "before they can be destroyed"? (Followed by Cayleb reimbursing Delthak for his losses, of course.)

Hopefully Zhyou-Zhwo will settle for just capturing the equipment. We already know from earlier books that Harchong has enslaved workers along with their serfs; if he decides to chain the Charisian contingent to the machines to make sure they keep working it would get very ugly.


I would have thought that what happened to Desnair and then Dohlar would have been a very salutary lesson not to lay hands on Charisian citizens!


And I seem to remember the new capital is a coastal city. On a fairly inland bay certainly , but still vulnerable to the ICN
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Scotland

PalmerSperry wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:Interesting hints about Delthak's contingency plans. I wonder if the inner circle's plot to get Harchong to industrialize involves their capture of Charisian equipment/manuals "before they can be destroyed"? (Followed by Cayleb reimbursing Delthak for his losses, of course.)


Bonus points if they can arrange things so that it seems they attempted to destroy the manuals where prevented from doing so previously? The “lucky recipients” will be less likely to realise they’re doing what the inner circle wants, and will also have to engage their brains in order to fill in the blanks (which is also of course something the inner circle wants to encourage!).


I rather suspect that Master Nengkwan is going to be the lucky recipient and the emperor's people are going to be just delighted by how much his craftsmen can remember/work out from stuff they have already seen. He will NOT simply be turning those manuals over to the government.
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by Joat42   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Joat42
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

Rogue10 wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are missing the header information for this snippit? It doesn't seem to follow directly on from the last one...or maybe it does? I guess they are still in the same city.

RFC may have missed the beginning of the foundry scene when snippeting (sp?), or he may have cut out spoilers.

The snippets aren't guaranteed to be complete.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 am

isaac_newton
Commodore

Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Joat42 wrote:
Rogue10 wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are missing the header information for this snippit? It doesn't seem to follow directly on from the last one...or maybe it does? I guess they are still in the same city.

RFC may have missed the beginning of the foundry scene when snippeting (sp?), or he may have cut out spoilers.

The snippets aren't guaranteed to be complete.


its actually in the header for th previous snippet #14

the foundry name in the header for #14 caused some speculation as to why that bit was missing :-)

[edit]

here you go...

II.
Sai-kau–Jai-hu High Road,
Tiegelkamp Province,
and
Emperor Zhyou-Zhwo’s Palace,
City of Yu-kwau,
and
St. Lerys Foundry,
Kyznetzov Province,
Empire of Harchong.
Last edited by isaac_newton on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Scotland

Joat42 wrote:
Rogue10 wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are missing the header information for this snippit? It doesn't seem to follow directly on from the last one...or maybe it does? I guess they are still in the same city.

RFC may have missed the beginning of the foundry scene when snippeting (sp?), or he may have cut out spoilers.

The snippets aren't guaranteed to be complete.


Technically, Joat42 may be right, but I can't recall the last time any of the snippets in a series from the start of a book was intentionally incomplete, and I've been reading them for 6 years. Snippets given as teasers from other parts of the book are different, they are sometimes edited. In this case it looks likely that what we are missing is just the line of *'s that usually indicate a change of scene.
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by Julia Minor   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 am

Julia Minor
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

isaac_newton wrote:
julia_minor wrote:
Hopefully Zhyou-Zhwo will settle for just capturing the equipment. We already know from earlier books that Harchong has enslaved workers along with their serfs; if he decides to chain the Charisian contingent to the machines to make sure they keep working it would get very ugly.


I would have thought that what happened to Desnair and then Dohlar would have been a very salutary lesson not to lay hands on Charisian citizens!


Same here, but there's obviously something rotten in the Empire of Harchong (with apologies to W. Shakespeare). The last snippet included Duke Summer Flowers making a power grab in the imperial council by pushing the anti-Charis button, and this one confirmed that he's shooting himself in the foot by doing so. Without knowing just what he's up to, I'm not prepared to eliminate any possible action he might take. And even if Summer Flowers wouldn't go that far, Zhyou-Zhwo might out of simple hatred.
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 am

isaac_newton
Commodore

Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:37 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Julia Minor wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:SNIP
I would have thought that what happened to Desnair and then Dohlar would have been a very salutary lesson not to lay hands on Charisian citizens!


Same here, but there's obviously something rotten in the Empire of Harchong (with apologies to W. Shakespeare). The last snippet included Duke Summer Flowers making a power grab in the imperial council by pushing the anti-Charis button, and this one confirmed that he's shooting himself in the foot by doing so. Without knowing just what he's up to, I'm not prepared to eliminate any possible action he might take. And even if Summer Flowers wouldn't go that far, Zhyou-Zhwo might out of simple hatred.


True, true! he could be assuming Clyntahns role. :shock:

BTW I had thought that the Harchong emperors's were basically placeholders - making the big choices like rice or noodles. Zhyou-Zhwo seems to be radically different!

BTW2 how is his name pronounced?
Top
Re: Snippet #15
Post by dobriennm   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:56 am

dobriennm
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Joat42 wrote:
Rogue10 wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem like we are missing the header information for this snippit? It doesn't seem to follow directly on from the last one...or maybe it does? I guess they are still in the same city.

RFC may have missed the beginning of the foundry scene when snippeting (sp?), or he may have cut out spoilers.

The snippets aren't guaranteed to be complete.


Randomiser wrote:Technically, Joat42 may be right, but I can't recall the last time any of the snippets in a series from the start of a book was intentionally incomplete, and I've been reading them for 6 years. Snippets given as teasers from other parts of the book are different, they are sometimes edited. In this case it looks likely that what we are missing is just the line of *'s that usually indicate a change of scene.


You're right. If you look at the "Look Inside" on the Amazon page for the book, there are the standard demarcation symbols for a change of scene. (Caution!! the preview on the Amazon website goes well beyond the snippets so far, so read at your own peril) (and leave any comments you have on the topic thread Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Top

Return to Safehold