Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

My stingy peek only went to about page 190 discussing petroleum distillation. :(

Ok well, 3 weeks to go.
Post by shayvaan   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:39 am

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

PlaysWithBees wrote:My stingy peek only went to about page 190 discussing petroleum distillation. :(

Ok well, 3 weeks to go.

Same with mine :(

It ended on pg 188 with a Charisian oil gusher.

:(
Post by Vinea   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 am

Vinea
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

phillies wrote:
Vinea wrote:
Has anyone mentioned recently that you aren't very nice? Just sayin'

Of all the Amazon perks one that I would like would be the ability to buy ARCs for anything they have "Look Inside" text for...I assume they have a close to final draft when that appears...

Nonsense. The author is the nicest person imaginable. He actually is.

Even the nicest person imaginable can have a dark side. In fact, the nicest person imaginable is the most likely candidate to have a dark side...

In any case, I was kidding if it wasn't obvious.
Post by TychoImpact   » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:34 pm

TychoImpact
Midshipman

If you have a need to read additional spoilers. Try using the preview version in Google Books.

Every few days a different section from the book will show up and pages that were previously visible will disappear.

***** WARNING *****

Plenty of new spoilers if you go there. I'm not kidding. Some of the pages I've read reveal major plot line developments. Some readers may feel that reading of these developments will lessen the joy of reading the actual book when it is released.

Read at your own risk. You have been warned.

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0765325594
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Amazon has also opened up more pages. Well, at least for me.

Looks like I got a bit of my timocracy.
I was wrong on whom Daivyn would marry.
I love the twists RFC applied in the UP and EH.
Me thinks that the stories relating to Howard was written with Dilandu in mind. Loved those twists....as far as I could read them anyway.

Finally the maps are very suggestive of an interesting battlefield should things come to a head in the next few books. Siddermark appears to face interesting times as the Chinese would consider it. The nations of Howard would seem to have found a period of peace and relative prosperity. The Temple appears to be industrializing at a surprising pace.

If the Sleepers are biding their time before they arise, the conflict to consolidate North Harchong appears to be a very interesting one indeed. I don't see the chaotic center of North Harchong remaining separate from either the UP or EH. Certainly the Grand Duchy of Laichyn can't manage to consolidate that region even with the help of the rump Southern Harchong Empire. The logistics suck for them.

Thomas and Chiang-wu are connected by a river and canal network touching the Sea of Harchong through Shang-mi and Beijing Bay. That is controlled by the UP and supported by the ICN. Decastro has a coastline along Hsing-wu's Passage but otherwise land locked. The norther parts of the unincorporated Northern Harchong won't survive too much longer as the local warlords trade complete autocracy for membership in a much more stable and prosperous polity.

That leaves eastern Tielgelkamp and Stene as the only footholds into Norther Harchong for the Emperor. He can't do squat about either the UP or EH because they are growing faster than South Harchong and Desnair. They don't have a powerful enough navy to force their way through to invade the UP. They don't have a good or big enough military to fight their way through EH's defenses. The only way they can effect a reconquista is to economically develop both their foot hold in the Grand Duchy of Laichyng as well as South Harchong. That will be limited so long as the EoH maintains their restrictive labor laws and their command economy and restrictive control over capital investments.

The folks in the Chynduk Valley are going to consolidate control of the Zhauchyan river down to Zhyang Bay and the port city there. Otherwise, they are dependent on airships. Not an optimal scenario. Once that happens, the Chynduk Valley can support their own industry without sacrificing their arable land. They can also secure a secondary trade route that is way cheaper that airlift. That Means the Grad Duchy in southern Tiegelkamp has to prepare fo defend their territory. No one can stand idle.

The longer the Sleepers wait, the more the empires of Harchong and Desnair will be incented to embrace more of the Charisian technical innovations. That and be forced into the social liberalization necessary to fully utilize the production potential they will need to remain within spitting distance of their former provinces military and economic power.
TychoImpact wrote:If you have a need to read additional spoilers. Try using the preview version in Google Books.

Every few days a different section from the book will show up and pages that were previously visible will disappear.

***** WARNING *****

Plenty of new spoilers if you go there. I'm not kidding. Some of the pages I've read reveal major plot line developments. Some readers may feel that reading of these developments will lessen the joy of reading the actual book when it is released.

Read at your own risk. You have been warned.

https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0765325594

Return to Safehold