Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests

Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:02 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I would like to post speculation on this thread for all those who want to discuss Through Fiery Trials and have read the previews available on Amazon and anywhere else. This goes further than the snippets RFC has made available.

So anyone who prefers not to know, please do not read the posts in this thread.

I am waiting to add to this thread so those who want to avoid this can be warned. Anyone can add to this thread if they choose.
Re: Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I just have to say that I love Merlin and Nynian's kids. They are delightful! I suspect that their daughter will marry Daivyn. I have suspected this since HFQ.

I also like just how Desnair alters its success metrics to accommodate industrialization. Pretty shrewd of Harless too.

I'm thinking that Siddermark has a tough row to hoe. Heck, RFC may well have distrubuted social upheaval and issues with industrialization equally between the nations of Howard and Haven. Not sure just how much Charis avoids, but the rest of Safehold gets to experience all Earth did in a much more condensed period.

I'll just add that I can't wait to read the rest of this book and add my comments to other posters.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:04 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I just have to say that I love Merlin and Nynian's kids. They are delightful! I suspect that their daughter will marry Daivyn. I have suspected this since HFQ.

I also like just how Desnair alters its success metrics to accommodate industrialization. Pretty shrewd of Harless too.

I'm thinking that Siddermark has a tough row to hoe. Heck, RFC may well have distrubuted social upheaval and issues with industrialization equally between the nations of Howard and Haven. Not sure just how much Charis avoids, but the rest of Safehold gets to experience all Earth did in a much more condensed period.

I'll just add that I can't wait to read the rest of this book and add my comments to other posters.

No Stephanie does not marry Daivyn. RFC has a much better match for him.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I just have to say that I love Merlin and Nynian's kids. They are delightful! I suspect that their daughter will marry Daivyn. I have suspected this since HFQ.

No Stephanie does not marry Daivyn. RFC has a much better match for him.

I was right about Irys. I am right about Daivyn. The give away was the new neural interfaces. There will be more folks capable of seijin level skull duggary with those education devices. Someone in the Inner Circle has to be able to stay with Daivyn when Irys and Hektor play seijin. Every other member of the Inner Circle is old. Not decrepit, but at least 50 by YoG 915.

Stefyny is the nearest in age of any Inner Circle member to Daivyn. The two will end up together much as Hektor drew Irys to him like a moth to a flame. Stefyny is everything all those other courtiers are not. She is smart, learned, confident and caring with a degree of honesty Daivyn can't find anywhere else. With Nynian for a mom, she knows [politics better than any other of Daivyn's contemporaries. All that is icing on the cake. She happens to be Merlin's daughter. Someone Merlin was close to before her father died. The same Merlin that was the lynchpin of Daivyn's formative moment. The combination of being Merlin's and Nynian's daughter and her personality traits make her irresistible for a young man in Daivyn's circumstance.
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:19 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:I was right about Irys. I am right about Daivyn. The give away was the new neural interfaces. There will be more folks capable of seijin level skull duggary with those education devices.

Huh, now that I think about it, these new implants may be how the Inner Circle slips recording devices into the Temple. One of their own goes to visit, and since all his implants are running on his body's own power, there are no emissions for the Temple to detect, not any that wouldn't be dismissed as regular biological functions at least.
Post by cnrd22   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:24 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:I was right about Irys. I am right about Daivyn. The give away was the new neural interfaces. There will be more folks capable of seijin level skull duggary with those education devices. Someone in the Inner Circle has to be able to stay with Daivyn when Irys and Hektor play seijin. Every other member of the Inner Circle is old. Not decrepit, but at least 50 by YoG 915.

Stefyny is the nearest in age of any Inner Circle member to Daivyn. The two will end up together much as Hektor drew Irys to him like a moth to a flame. Stefyny is everything all those other courtiers are not. She is smart, learned, confident and caring with a degree of honesty Daivyn can't find anywhere else. With Nynian for a mom, she knows [politics better than any other of Daivyn's contemporaries. All that is icing on the cake. She happens to be Merlin's daughter. Someone Merlin was close to before her father died. The same Merlin that was the lynchpin of Daivyn's formative moment. The combination of being Merlin's and Nynian's daughter and her personality traits make her irresistible for a young man in Daivyn's circumstance.

Koryn and his seijin wife are in Corisande too - I agree that they will probably spend a lot of time in the United Provinces but with passenger airships coming fast in the pipeline, the travel times should be reduced even more considerably than with steamships and railways;

also I am fairly sure that Dayvin will get enrolled into Inner Circle when he reaches 30 (which will be in about 916-918 from his age given so far), while Stefyny (who has of course been in the Inner Circle since she was saved from the camps)seems to be attached as personal protector of the crown princess, so basically shuttling between Charis and Chisholm with the court, so I am not sure how they would "seriously meet" - it can be done, surely, but I do not see it

Dayvin will most likely marry someone from Corisande or related to Corisande (wondering about the former Charisian governors of Corisande if they have daughters of the right age, as they would be the natural match)

I am also curious who is going to appear and lead Siddarmark against Charis and defeat protector Myllyr who seems to be some kind of loyal mediocrity who gets to be protector by chance (not sure what happens to protector Maidyn as the pages jump from Stohnar's death, to the visit of protector Maydin in the troubled west, to the announcement of Myllyr as protector, but i guess something bad happens there)

Loved also the visit of the young King of Dohlar to Tellesberg and seeing a fragile and aged Thirsk talking again with Merlin (though I think that's the last we see Thirsk alive from the way things were put there)

Archbishop Maikel in the Temple and Grand Vicar Tymythy Rhobair are more of the highlights gleaned from the available pages
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Why Stefyny follows her father as he visits Corisande while Cayleb and Sharley visit their kids and grandkids. Ahlanah needs to see her nieces and nephews and older brother and sister-in-law. Those visits are more for the children, since the kids have no access to coms.

I suspect that Stefyny and Sebastian follow Merlin and Nynian on such a trip at least once per year. As young as they are, the neural interface will probably have the best effect on them. That suggests that these two will be seen as quite remarkable in their generation. Hektor and Irys will come a close second due to their relatively young age. In many ways those four might be seen as having been influenced most by seijins.

Now, I wonder if the interface can act as artificial nerves for Hektor arm? Didn't run into anything like that, but can't help wondering.
Post by Julia Minor   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

cnrd22 wrote:
Dayvin will most likely marry someone from Corisande or related to Corisande (wondering about the former Charisian governors of Corisande if they have daughters of the right age, as they would be the natural match)

I've been rereading the series in preparation, and (checks timeline) in 895 Hauwil Chermyn mentions his first grandkid is on the way. That conversation is right before Sharleyan drops the "we're naming you Grand Duke Zebediah" bombshell.

Chermyn -- excuse me, Zebediah -- has the rank for a family member to marry Daivyn. If the grandkid in question turned out to be a girl, she would be 10 years younger than Daivyn, which isn't all that bad for a dynastic marriage.
Post by FriarBob   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

Julia Minor wrote:
cnrd22 wrote:

I've been rereading the series in preparation, and (checks timeline) in 895 Hauwil Chermyn mentions his first grandkid is on the way. That conversation is right before Sharleyan drops the "we're naming you Grand Duke Zebediah" bombshell.

Chermyn -- excuse me, Zebediah -- has the rank for a family member to marry Daivyn. If the grandkid in question turned out to be a girl, she would be 10 years younger than Daivyn, which isn't all that bad for a dynastic marriage.

It's not even that bad for any marriage... if the gal is MUCH older than 8. At this point that's what she'd be.

This is also the ONLY legitimate line of succession for the Corisandian crown, at least of those we also know are both capable and loyal. Do you want that left unsecured for 8-10 years while you wait for her to grow up? I very much doubt any character in this book does. Not outside of Charis' enemies, at least.

Unfortunately he more or less *can't* marry an old Charisian since his sister already did, which is a pity because Cayleb has a sister or two on hand and one of them might even be about the right age. So odds are very high it will be someone else. Not sure who, but I expect she'll already be at least 14 or so, to make sure they can get the succession secured as quickly as possible.
Post by cnrd22   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:28 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

FriarBob wrote:
It's not even that bad for any marriage... if the gal is MUCH older than 8. At this point that's what she'd be.

This is also the ONLY legitimate line of succession for the Corisandian crown, at least of those we also know are both capable and loyal. Do you want that left unsecured for 8-10 years while you wait for her to grow up? I very much doubt any character in this book does. Not outside of Charis' enemies, at least.

Unfortunately he more or less *can't* marry an old Charisian since his sister already did, which is a pity because Cayleb has a sister or two on hand and one of them might even be about the right age. So odds are very high it will be someone else. Not sure who, but I expect she'll already be at least 14 or so, to make sure they can get the succession secured as quickly as possible.

Cayleb has one sister and one brother and they are married with Nahrmahn's son (Nahrmahn Garyet) and daughter (Mahrya) respectively (so Cayleb's sister, Zhanayt, is now the princess of Emerald).

Irys has boys who are for now Dayvin's heirs anyway so there is no immediate succession issue, so I don't think it will be a dynastic marriage per se for Dayvin, but more of a who will fall in love with - and that's why I believe it will be someone whom he meets fairly often.

Return to Safehold