Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:19 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Juxtaposing the maps in TFT "look inside" to the map at Buckley's, it appears that the United Provinces will control a bit more than half of Northern Harchong. That translates to about 40% of the pre-revolt Empire of Harchong. I would be surprised if by the time circumstances settle down in North Harchong, the United Provinces don't control somewhere close to 50% of the pre-revolt population of the Harchong Empire. That's approximately 100 million people. The Empire of Charis has approximately 80 million people. Dohlar controls another 90 million. We don't know how Eastern Harchong will settle. That region may be largely an appendage of Zion. We also don't know what will transpire in Central Harchong or down in Stene or even in Siddermark. So, conservatively, the Charisian Economic network has approximately 30% of Safehold's population working with the most efficient industrial technology and techniques. They also have significant shorelines that no nation besides Charis can hope to use against them.

Howard is shaping up to be interesting with Desnair adopting the same strategy as Charis by investing the output of their gold mines in their neighbor's industrial infrastructure. If they succeed, they turn Howard into the Desnairian economic region. I doubt that their financial aid will come with as few strings as Charisian help. I also doubt the nations of Howard fully trust Desnarian aid. How will this new strategy strike Delfahrahk and the other nations of southwest Howard? I find it difficult to believe that Charis did not try to secure relations with any of these nations.

That brings the small size of Eastern Hachong to mind. If Rainbow Waters accepts the Ahrmahk Plan, he sould be able to control a much bigger region. It might mean RW died and Wind Song was left to his own devices. I suspect, however, that the aristos in Central and Eastern Harchong have more hostages controlled by the Emperor down South. That may mean those regions not included in Eastern Harchong or the United Provinces are still under the Harchong Emperor's control. I wonder just what sort of shape those nations are in? Will eastern and central Harchong turn out to be Germany of the 30 years war or something far less chaotic?

About 6 more weeks to find out.
Post by cnrd22   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:16 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:Juxtaposing the maps in TFT "look inside" to the map at Buckley's, it appears that the United Provinces will control a bit more than half of Northern Harchong. That translates to about 40% of the pre-revolt Empire of Harchong. I would be surprised if by the time circumstances settle down in North Harchong, the United Provinces don't control somewhere close to 50% of the pre-revolt population of the Harchong Empire. That's approximately 100 million people. The Empire of Charis has approximately 80 million people. Dohlar controls another 90 million. We don't know how Eastern Harchong will settle. That region may be largely an appendage of Zion. We also don't know what will transpire in Central Harchong or down in Stene or even in Siddermark. So, conservatively, the Charisian Economic network has approximately 30% of Safehold's population working with the most efficient industrial technology and techniques. They also have significant shorelines that no nation besides Charis can hope to use against them.

Howard is shaping up to be interesting with Desnair adopting the same strategy as Charis by investing the output of their gold mines in their neighbor's industrial infrastructure. If they succeed, they turn Howard into the Desnairian economic region. I doubt that their financial aid will come with as few strings as Charisian help. I also doubt the nations of Howard fully trust Desnarian aid. How will this new strategy strike Delfahrahk and the other nations of southwest Howard? I find it difficult to believe that Charis did not try to secure relations with any of these nations.

That brings the small size of Eastern Hachong to mind. If Rainbow Waters accepts the Ahrmahk Plan, he sould be able to control a much bigger region. It might mean RW died and Wind Song was left to his own devices. I suspect, however, that the aristos in Central and Eastern Harchong have more hostages controlled by the Emperor down South. That may mean those regions not included in Eastern Harchong or the United Provinces are still under the Harchong Emperor's control. I wonder just what sort of shape those nations are in? Will eastern and central Harchong turn out to be Germany of the 30 years war or something far less chaotic?

I kind of agree with most of the above with 2 exceptions - I think Delferahk is too much in Charis' bad books (and too marginal) to be given a chance now with Silkiah in their corner and the possibility of the canal there to avoid going round (plus airships etc)

And sadly I have strong doubts it will be just 6 weeks, as the whole "circumstances settle down" should easily take us down to the end of TFT; but I kind of agree that the next book will start there (the de facto Charisian alliance of the post quoted vs Desnair, S Harchong and their remaining appendages in N Harchong and Siddarmark, with the Temple splitting on religious grounds)
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

6 weeks for me to read the novel.

Regardless of how Delfahrahk feels about Charis, they have to hold powerful reservations regarding Desnair. We don't know how the other nations of Howard view either Desnair or Charis. That will be important. Also, the wealth of these pre-industrial nations are less important than their populations. Those nations on Howard have access to ores in those mountains. Even if they don't have a great deal of good quality ores, they can provide value added production. Take refined metals and produce goods.

The provinces of Bedard, Omar and Cheshire may well be able to produce way more refined metals than they can use to produce goods. I suspect that should the unlikely event that Sodar, Delfahrahk and the other Howard nations don't have good sources for raw materials, the United Provinces can supply them.
Post by Vinea   » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Vinea
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:Juxtaposing the maps in TFT "look inside" to the map at Buckley's, it appears that the United Provinces will control a bit more than half of Northern Harchong. That translates to about 40% of the pre-revolt Empire of Harchong. I would be surprised if by the time circumstances settle down in North Harchong, the United Provinces don't control somewhere close to 50% of the pre-revolt population of the Harchong Empire. That's approximately 100 million people. The Empire of Charis has approximately 80 million people. Dohlar controls another 90 million. We don't know how Eastern Harchong will settle. That region may be largely an appendage of Zion. We also don't know what will transpire in Central Harchong or down in Stene or even in Siddermark. So, conservatively, the Charisian Economic network has approximately 30% of Safehold's population working with the most efficient industrial technology and techniques. They also have significant shorelines that no nation besides Charis can hope to use against them.

Civil wars are bloody. It might be Harchong ends with only a fraction of the population it started with. Using the Three Kingdoms Period as an example the Eastern Han Dynasty had around 60M in 156. The successor Jin Dynasty had 16M in 280.
Post by phillies   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:22 am

phillies
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I would like to post speculation on this thread for all those who want to discuss Through Fiery Trials and have read the previews available on Amazon and anywhere else. This goes further than the snippets RFC has made available.

So anyone who prefers not to know, please do not read the posts in this thread.

I am waiting to add to this thread so those who want to avoid this can be warned. Anyone can add to this thread if they choose.

Dis means youse!

Ignoring a question of advisability that I will postpone, Nimue cannot bear children, at least her own. Could she bear an implant? One alternative is that an alternative maternal parent is identified, it is explained to the mother to be that Langhorn has forbidden modern seijin to have children, and so after a year either the bastard is legitimized or Nimue goes into a cloistered retreat for a year and claims the child as her own. Very modest gene tampering to give the kid seijin eyes will remove all doubt of legitimacy.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I would like to post speculation on this thread for all those who want to discuss Through Fiery Trials and have read the previews available on Amazon and anywhere else. This goes further than the snippets RFC has made available.

So anyone who prefers not to know, please do not read the posts in this thread.

I am waiting to add to this thread so those who want to avoid this can be warned. Anyone can add to this thread if they choose.

Dis means youse!

Ignoring a question of advisability that I will postpone, Nimue cannot bear children, at least her own. Could she bear an implant? One alternative is that an alternative maternal parent is identified, it is explained to the mother to be that Langhorn has forbidden modern seijin to have children, and so after a year either the bastard is legitimized or Nimue goes into a cloistered retreat for a year and claims the child as her own. Very modest gene tampering to give the kid seijin eyes will remove all doubt of legitimacy.

I love the solution they chose! A bit of the adoption, surrogacy and technological solutions employed to provide Koryn a genetic heir and Nimue a child of her own.
If you want to know what they did, just ask.
Post by Isilith   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:I love the solution they chose! A bit of the adoption, surrogacy and technological solutions employed to provide Koryn a genetic heir and Nimue a child of her own.

My "look inside" only talked about the lactating, not how they got there... so, yeah, I want to know.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I love the solution they chose! A bit of the adoption, surrogacy and technological solutions employed to provide Koryn a genetic heir and Nimue a child of her own.

My "look inside" only talked about the lactating, not how they got there... so, yeah, I want to know.

A female member of the Inner Circle donates an ova to be inseminated by gametes from Koryn. The child resides in a unrefined replicator during gestation. Nimue alters her PICA to mimic pregnancy for the entire 9 months. All that remains is to limit who is present for the "deliver", when their child is presented to the world as if it was just born.

I haven't read more that the preliminary planning stages of this myself.
Post by Isilith   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:A female member of the Inner Circle donates an ova to be inseminated by gametes from Koryn. The child resides in a unrefined replicator during gestation. Nimue alters her PICA to mimic pregnancy for the entire 9 months. All that remains is to limit who is present for the "deliver", when their child is presented to the world as if it was just born.

First off, thank you much, appreciate it. Secondly, do we know which member of the inner circle made said donation?
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
PeterZ wrote:A female member of the Inner Circle donates an ova to be inseminated by gametes from Koryn. The child resides in a unrefined replicator during gestation. Nimue alters her PICA to mimic pregnancy for the entire 9 months. All that remains is to limit who is present for the "deliver", when their child is presented to the world as if it was just born.

First off, thank you much, appreciate it. Secondly, do we know which member of the inner circle made said donation?

I don't. However, besides Sharley and Irys, there is only two others that fit the bill per the discussion. Merlin's and Nynian's daughter and Green Vally's wife. Not sure that Irys would be a good or bad option given their closer genetic relationship AND her proximity to the throne. Odds are it is GV's wife, but I speculate Irys would have strong emotional motivations to donate.

Return to Safehold