Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Snippet #13

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet #13
Post by Randomiser   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
could some kind person compare [HMS Thunderbolt] with the King Haarolds :-)

C.F.
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Safehold/342/1
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
could some kind person compare [HMS Thunderbolt] with the King Haarolds :-)

C.F.
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/entry/Safehold/342/1

thanks for that :-)
- so a fully turreted upgrade then, same big guns size, though more of them, about same top speed and longer range at a higher speed.

I presune that these will use smokeless propellants
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:

thanks for that :-)
- so a fully turreted upgrade then, same big guns size, though more of them, about same top speed and longer range at a higher speed.

Not the same guns. KH VIIs have 10" 40's and Thunderer has 10" 45's. That argues for slower burning propellant and longer ranges for the 10"ers. Perhaps long enough to take full advantage of what the baloons make possible.
Post by bigrunt   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:40 pm

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Randomiser wrote:HMS Thunderbolt. Oh my! Dilandu isn't going to be a happy bunny! :twisted:

I look forward to Dilandu's review of the new Thunderbolt. RFC is getting close to the HMS Dreadnought of our time (minus the electrical fire control).
Post by Thendisnia   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Thendisnia
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Finally things are getting interesting!! Oh boy.
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:* * * * * * * * * *
Yaupang Lyauyan was one of the unfortunately few Harchongese clerics in whom personal piety always trumped political considerations. [...] What he cared about were people and souls . . .

So what we have here is the Harchong-equivalent of pre-OAR Maikel Staynair.

The original model took a Shan-Wei-spawned conspiracy, the collusion of the Charisian Monarchy, and eight or nine centuries worth of work to produce. In Charis.

Yet this guy pops up out of no where in Harchong? It makes me wonder just how hard Owl et al looked for the descendants of those other colonists that Shan-Wei 'misplaced.'
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:36 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Kael Posavatz wrote:
Yaupang Lyauyan was one of the unfortunately few Harchongese clerics in whom personal piety always trumped political considerations. [...] What he cared about were people and souls . . .

The original model took a Shan-Wei-spawned conspiracy, the collusion of the Charisian Monarchy, and eight or nine centuries worth of work to produce. In Charis.

Yet this guy pops up out of no where in Harchong? It makes me wonder just how hard Owl et al looked for the descendants of those other colonists that Shan-Wei 'misplaced.'

More likely under the sway of the Wylsyns, like that Harchong Vicar that was part of the Circle Clyntahn used to launch his pogrom.
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

Kael Posavatz wrote:

Well, it's not like Owl could hack into a database of genetic scans of the current population ....

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if there's been lots of priests of the Maikel/Yaupang variety over the centuries. How many of them made it to bishop is a separate question, but I would have expected the CoGA's control to fail a lot sooner if the rank and file priests were as visibly corrupt as the higher ranks
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

runsforcelery wrote:HMS Thunderbolt, Imperial Charisian Navy

Displacement:
13,572 t light; 14,488 t standard; 17,531 t normal; 19,965 t full load

Dimensions:
Length oa: 455'
Length wl: 437'4"
Beam: 76'2"
Normal draft: 26'
Draft (deep): 29'2"

Armament:
6 x 10" / 45 cal BL guns (AP shell wt=505 lbs) in turret on barbette mounts (3x2)
16 x 6" / 45 cal BL guns (AP shell wt=109 lbs) in casemate mounts (8x1 each broadside)

Armour:
Main Belt: 6"
Ends: 2"
Upper Belt: 6"
Deck: 1.5'-2"
Turret face: 6.5"
Turret side: 5"
Turret Roof: 3"
Casemates: 5"
Conning tower: 6"

Machinery:
Coal fired boilers, direct drive, 3 shafts = 28.7 kts (25 kts Terran measure)
Range 8,498nm at 17.2 kts (15 kts Terran measure)

Complement:

Just sayin' . . . .

What exactly is the difference between a barbette and a turret in naval terms? I did google the two. From what I pulled up, the barbettes have lighter armor and no overhead protection. The turret has heavier armor and includes overhead protection. Is this accurate or am I missing details?
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

Henry Brown wrote:
What exactly is the difference between a barbette and a turret in naval terms? I did google the two. From what I pulled up, the barbettes have lighter armor and no overhead protection. The turret has heavier armor and includes overhead protection. Is this accurate or am I missing details?

You are missing details.

A naval turret at its simplest is a rotating gun-house (the armored structure with guns). More complex turrets descend through several decks and includes various ammunition-handling rooms, powder- and shell-hoists, and the like. Some turrets have shell (not powder) storage that is in addition to (be separate from) the fixed storage.

A barbette is an armored cylindrical structure that heavy naval turrets rest inside. Rest, by the way, can be quite literal. The only thing holding the heaviest turrets in place is gravity and the presence (or absence) of a turret can be a major indicator of how a ship sank. Barbettes without turrets can be seen quite clearly on pictures of Arizona or the wreck of Bismark.

This arrangement has a number of advantages, allowing the broadest engangement arcs, while moving turret-critical machinery behind armor. It also creates multiple partitions (when used appropriately) between turrets and magazines which helps mitigate damage from unfortunate hits.

So, in describing HMS Thunderbolt
6 x 10" / 45 cal BL guns (AP shell wt=505 lbs) in turret on barbette mounts (3x2)

Three turrets with two weapons each (isn't clear if these are two-guns or twin-guns, the former capable of being individually serviced while the latter share the same training gear). Each gun has a 10-inch bore and a barrel 450 inches from breech-face to muzzle, throwing a 505lb AP shell. Each turret rests inside a barbette, with supporting infrastructure below the turret.

Some other items, just for added clarity. Some guns are behind gunshields. At their most basic these are plates of armor that are mounted perpendicular to the barrel. At their most complex they look like gunhouses without a back.

A casemate gun (in context with the above) is an armored room in the side of a ship that holds (usually) a single gun of the secondary battery.

Return to Safehold