Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Howard railroad(spoilers)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Howard railroad(spoilers)
Post by SYED   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

So desnair will attempt to build their own rail network. If they make alliances with harchong, I could see it extending into south harchong. Desnair does not want to expose themselves to charisian influence, but they make an alliance with south harchong, seen as traders and merchants.
Re: Howard railroad(spoilers)
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 am

Dilandu
Admiral

SYED wrote:So desnair will attempt to build their own rail network. If they make alliances with harchong, I could see it extending into south harchong. Desnair does not want to expose themselves to charisian influence, but they make an alliance with south harchong, seen as traders and merchants.

Well, South Harchong seems to be "modernistic" mainly by North Harchong means. By Deshnarian means, they are perfectly in their league.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:59 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
SYED wrote:So desnair will attempt to build their own rail network. If they make alliances with harchong, I could see it extending into south harchong. Desnair does not want to expose themselves to charisian influence, but they make an alliance with south harchong, seen as traders and merchants.

Well, South Harchong seems to be "modernistic" mainly by North Harchong means. By Deshnarian means, they are perfectly in their league.

I would quibble that the South Harchong trading houses are more comfortable in dealing with change and the newer tech than any group in Desnair. One suspects they already have the CoGA info on most of the "secrets" Charis let slip and much of the Tech Dohlar shared with the CoGA.
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

I'm I'm reading the map correctly, a Desnair-South Harchong railway will have to go through Sodar. But two wealthy nations should be able to come up with the cash to lease rights-of-way from whoever the king of Sodar is, especially if they allow Sodar shipping access at anything resembling a reasonable price.
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Julia Minor wrote:I'm I'm reading the map correctly, a Desnair-South Harchong railway will have to go through Sodar. But two wealthy nations should be able to come up with the cash to lease rights-of-way from whoever the king of Sodar is, especially if they allow Sodar shipping access at anything resembling a reasonable price.

interesting question... does S Harchong cover both sides of Schwei Bay...

in which case SH and Desnair do have a common land border.

Of course, you are right in that a railway to Kynetzov and Queroz would need to cross Sodar.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:I'm I'm reading the map correctly, a Desnair-South Harchong railway will have to go through Sodar. But two wealthy nations should be able to come up with the cash to lease rights-of-way from whoever the king of Sodar is, especially if they allow Sodar shipping access at anything resembling a reasonable price.

interesting question... does S Harchong cover both sides of Schwei Bay...

in which case SH and Desnair do have a common land border.

Of course, you are right in that a railway to Kynetzov and Queroz would need to cross Sodar.

I'm not sure that would be cost effective. Better to send cargo across the bay than lay track around the bay. Using Sodar to get from Desnair to S Harchong means going through the Desnair Mountains. That might not be feasible for these guys just yet. Building RRs moving North-South east of the mountains and East-West north of the mountains is more likely. I also don't see Desnair neglecting the Guld of Jahras.

Speaking of which, I wonder, will the Emperor be reaching out to the ex-Duke of Jahras for technical assistance? Seems like the only issue would have been Clyntahn and he is dead.
Post by NHBL   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 am

NHBL
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

One interesting question about the railroad in Desnair. Will they be using the same gauge as Charis? It sounds like a small detail, but when the next war comes, it will be important, iven if the networks don't link up.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:17 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

NHBL wrote:One interesting question about the railroad in Desnair. Will they be using the same gauge as Charis? It sounds like a small detail, but when the next war comes, it will be important, iven if the networks don't link up.

That depends on South Harchong's tech advancement. If they' expectations gotten a design from Charis already, I doubt they will make changes. If they have only the broad guidelines from which they have to design a locomotive, all bets are off. My gut tells me they need to either buy the design or buy and copy a locomotive. Either way, Charis designs the default standard.

I doubt anyone on Safehold will design a locomotive from scratch at this time. Dohlar would be closest and their focus on trade would argue hat they accept a common gauge to facilitate international trade by rail.
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

NHBL wrote:One interesting question about the railroad in Desnair. Will they be using the same gauge as Charis? It sounds like a small detail, but when the next war comes, it will be important, iven if the networks don't link up.

well - since they are buying the trans/rails from Charis initially, then I would guess yes.

They could order custom versions I suppose, but that would cost!
Post by JBNL1972   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

JBNL1972
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

isaac_newton wrote:

well - since they are buying the trans/rails from Charis initially, then I would guess yes.

They could order custom versions I suppose, but that would cost!

But it wouldn't make sense, and it would require more originality of thought than is encouraged of a Desnairian gentleman in a tight spot.

I wonder how long it would take them to figure out that a rail line conencting to their neighbors is equally efficient in getting undesirable elements like ideas, spies and troublemakers (both in and out of uniform, and both alone and in great numbers) into their territory as it is good at transporting goods and such out to their neighbors .... :D

Interesting times!

Return to Safehold