Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], n7pcx and 7 guests

The spread of Arabic numerals...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by jackburtonjr   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 pm

jackburtonjr
Midshipman

Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm

So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.
Top
Re: The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4355
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

jackburtonjr wrote:So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.


There are a couple of off-hand mentions scattered throughout the books; just enough to show the idea has spread.
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by evilauthor   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:34 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Weird Harold wrote:
jackburtonjr wrote:So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.


There are a couple of off-hand mentions scattered throughout the books; just enough to show the idea has spread.


Yep. By the end of the Jyhad, the Church accounting offices (run by Duchairn) were certainly using them to help manage the Army of God's logistics.

So if the CHURCH is using them, you can pretty much bet everyone else is using them too.
Top
Re: The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Julia Minor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I forget which novel it's in, but at one point a CoGA/Inquisition agent needs to decipher a message that was sent in a "book code" and thinks to himself that Charis' new number system makes that code much easier to use.
Top
Re: The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by elaineofshalott   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:53 pm

elaineofshalott
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Julia Minor wrote:I forget which novel it's in, but at one point a CoGA/Inquisition agent needs to decipher a message that was sent in a "book code" and thinks to himself that Charis' new number system makes that code much easier to use.
Probably in the third. It was the former bishop who planned the attack on Sharleyan in book 3.
Top

Return to Safehold