Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Heraldry

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Heraldry
Post by DrLight   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:42 pm

DrLight
Midshipman

I'm thinking of doing a Nimue Alban costume. My one problem (actually one of my many problems) is that I can't draw and have no real idea of what a doomwhale and kraken look like.

Would any kind artist person have any ideas?
Re: Heraldry
Post by Julia Minor   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

I can't draw either, but we've got something of a description of a kraken in OAR. Body strongly resembling a shark, with a lamprey's round mouth instead of a shark's jaw (but larger), and ten tentacles circling the mouth.

When Nimue wakes up the second time in the cave (in LAMA), the design on Merlin's breastplate reminds her of H.P. Lovecraft. You could always try hitting up Google Images for Cthulhu Mythos fanart.

I don't recall any description of the doomwhale, though.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

DrLight wrote:I'm thinking of doing a Nimue Alban costume. My one problem (actually one of my many problems) is that I can't draw and have no real idea of what a doomwhale and kraken look like.

Would any kind artist person have any ideas?

Not an artist, but a quick google image search on "doomwhale" turns up some fanart of a highly improbable (imho) interpretation.

As for me, I tend to think of Doomwhales as outsized mosasaurs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaur or possibly a sperm-whale sized Orca.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:As for me, I tend to think of Doomwhales as outsized mosasaurs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaur or possibly a sperm-whale sized Orca.

Given the name "Doomwhale", whoever named it was probably reminded strongly of a whale instead of some kind of dinosaur. So yeah, it's probably whale-like in appearance. It may even be related to the hexa-pedal land animals much like how actual whales are mammals.

Oh God, now I'm thinking of a whale sized slash lizard. That swims. A Doomwhale is probably smarter than a slash lizard though.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

I was just looking through all the Safehold ebooks I have; and, interestingly enough, even though there is cover art with characters that are no doubt Merlin and/or Nimue; not a single one of them clearly shows any of their *uniforms*; even those which show them in locations where they *would* be uniformed.

Interesting.

Also no maps or chapter headings seem to have any Charisian insignia.

Truly odd.

Even the covers that show ships don't give much detail to the banners they should be flying.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by OrlandoNative   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:24 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:I can't draw either, but we've got something of a description of a kraken in OAR. Body strongly resembling a shark, with a lamprey's round mouth instead of a shark's jaw (but larger), and ten tentacles circling the mouth.

When Nimue wakes up the second time in the cave (in LAMA), the design on Merlin's breastplate reminds her of H.P. Lovecraft. You could always try hitting up Google Images for Cthulhu Mythos fanart.

I don't recall any description of the doomwhale, though.

There's a bit of a description when Nimue (in one of her alternate personas) goes to Cheshyr; but I don't think it's very detailed; other than the crown on the statue never existed on a "real" doomwhale.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:08 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:As for me, I tend to think of Doomwhales as outsized mosasaurs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaur or possibly a sperm-whale sized Orca.

Given the name "Doomwhale", whoever named it was probably reminded strongly of a whale instead of some kind of dinosaur. So yeah, it's probably whale-like in appearance. It may even be related to the hexa-pedal land animals much like how actual whales are mammals.

Oh God, now I'm thinking of a whale sized slash lizard. That swims. A Doomwhale is probably smarter than a slash lizard though.

Fraid my imagaination is a bit less elevated...

for some reason I always think of the whale in Disneys Pinocchio :lol:
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:06 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:Fraid my imagaination is a bit less elevated...

for some reason I always think of the whale in Disneys Pinocchio :lol:

I did think of Monstro as a suggestion, but I don't think he'd win many Safehold-Cosplay awards. :p He was absolutely terrifying when I was six or seven and sitting "too close to the screen," but not so much now that I'm nearly 70.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by DrLight   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:50 am

DrLight
Midshipman

Thanks for all the help. I had figured out the sort of Lovecraftian look of the Kraken.

Oh god, I just had a terrible image cross my mind.

Sharktopus. Fortunately the creature is built backwards.
Post by jchilds   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

A version of the doomwhale is also used in the Starfire series, a creature on the planet Beaufort (useful for pharmacology?). One exists on the planetary flag and IIRC the Terran Republic adds wings to it for its flag and calls it a dragon? Most of that is in Insurrection, IIRC.

Return to Safehold