Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests

Musings on "Hill Island"

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Musings on "Hill Island"
Post by tjthw8s   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:53 pm

tjthw8s
Ensign

I've noticed a change between the Safehold map posted in 2008 and the one posted in 2009. Specifically, Hill Island in the West Gulf Sea to the southeast of Trellheim. On the 2008 map, it appears as a simple outline of an island with no features depicted. On the 2009 map, it has a mountain range, two population centres and a couple points or capes labelled.

However, I can't remember any references to the island in any of the books up to AtSoT. So why the extra detail on the newer map?

Now I'm suddenly calling to mind the reference Himself made during a Q&A at Manticon about events to come in TFT. Specifically, the reference to "steam powered dirigibles airlifting supplies, armaments, ammunition (and, oh yeah, a few companies of Marines) to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong".

From the snippets already posted, it seems that area where that is likely happening is in Cheshire and Boisseau. On the west coast of North Harchong. Due EAST of Hill Island. And, from the looks of the map, Hill Island may be even closer to those areas than Claw Island. I'm inferring the possibility that Hill Island becomes the primary base for those airships, with the possible side benefit of contributing to the elimination of the Trellheim pirates. That is, if Charis didn't take the island away from the pirates in the first place.

Hmmm.
Re: Musings on "Hill Island"
Post by Dilandu   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

tjthw8s wrote:
Now I'm suddenly calling to mind the reference Himself made during a Q&A at Manticon about events to come in TFT. Specifically, the reference to "steam powered dirigibles airlifting supplies, armaments, ammunition (and, oh yeah, a few companies of Marines) to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong".

I have a worrying suspicion that RFC, with all possible respect to him, assumed dirigibles as sort-of vertical landing transport planes.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by WeberFan   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

tjthw8s wrote:I've noticed a change between the Safehold map posted in 2008 and the one posted in 2009. Specifically, Hill Island in the West Gulf Sea to the southeast of Trellheim. On the 2008 map, it appears as a simple outline of an island with no features depicted. On the 2009 map, it has a mountain range, two population centres and a couple points or capes labelled.

However, I can't remember any references to the island in any of the books up to AtSoT. So why the extra detail on the newer map?

From the snippets already posted, it seems that area where that is likely happening is in Cheshire and Boisseau. On the west coast of North Harchong. Due EAST of Hill Island. And, from the looks of the map, Hill Island may be even closer to those areas than Claw Island. I'm inferring the possibility that Hill Island becomes the primary base for those airships, with the possible side benefit of contributing to the elimination of the Trellheim pirates. That is, if Charis didn't take the island away from the pirates in the first place.

Hmmm.

No big surprise...

In AtSoT, Himself tells us about the Cities heading toward Claw Island: "They'd left the Trellheim Gulf well astern after stopping at the coaling station Earl Sharpfield had established at Put-In Bay on Hill Island on his original voyage to Claw Island."

So he HAD to update the map so that detail would make sense. Given the Mercator presentation of the global map, it's tough to see, but it's much shorter to go from Chisolm to Claw Island by going EAST... Past Trellheim.
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 am

Julia Minor
Commander

tjthw8s wrote:Now I'm suddenly calling to mind the reference Himself made during a Q&A at Manticon about events to come in TFT. Specifically, the reference to "steam powered dirigibles airlifting supplies, armaments, ammunition (and, oh yeah, a few companies of Marines) to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong".

Which would match the cover art Amazon has posted for the book. Granted, that doesn't always mean anything. There's a reason TV Tropes has a "Covers Always Lie" page.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

tjthw8s wrote:I've noticed a change between the Safehold map posted in 2008 and the one posted in 2009. Specifically, Hill Island in the West Gulf Sea to the southeast of Trellheim. On the 2008 map, it appears as a simple outline of an island with no features depicted. On the 2009 map, it has a mountain range, two population centres and a couple points or capes labelled.

Where is the map that shows Hill Island with this detail?
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by dobriennm   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 am

dobriennm
Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

Where is the map that shows Hill Island with this detail?

Look on Map of the planet Safehold (as of By Schism Rent Asunder) for the one showing an essentially blank Hill Island

and

here Map of the planet Safehold (as of Midst Toil and Tribulation) for a map showing details filled in for Hill Island.

This comes from Pearls of Weber
Post by Bluestrike2   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Bluestrike2
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:
tjthw8s wrote:Now I'm suddenly calling to mind the reference Himself made during a Q&A at Manticon about events to come in TFT. Specifically, the reference to "steam powered dirigibles airlifting supplies, armaments, ammunition (and, oh yeah, a few companies of Marines) to the peasant rebellion in North Harchong".

Which would match the cover art Amazon has posted for the book. Granted, that doesn't always mean anything. There's a reason TV Tropes has a "Covers Always Lie" page.

Wait, you mean all those books whose covers highlight ship captains (or even admirals) fighting in powered armor on the ground are lying? Admirals don't do that? Go figure.

Return to Safehold