Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Trellheim, Sharleyan and the ICA

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Trellheim, Sharleyan and the ICA
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:You land the troops, seize the pirate cities (well, villages and castles),and invite the pirate ships to trade: Their galleys for the right to land.

Cut off from ports, the pirates find new occupations.

See pirates, barbary.

Yeah, I don't see the Trellheim pirates ever being as advanced or organized as the Barbary pirates. And after the last war where they had no victims to attack (they were too afraid to attack Charisian shipping and the Charisians had hunted out everyone else), I doubt they're even well financed.

The Barbary pirates were taken down because they were basically running a protection racket ("Pay us or we attack your shipping!") and the new United States decided they'd rather burn and pillage the Barbary pirates' strongholds rather than pay up.

That situation simply doesn't exist on Safehold. Even if the Trellheim pirates did have a protection racket going on, it doesn't exist anymore because as I noted above, Charis hunted out all their victims and they were too scared to try to attack Charisian shipping. And after the war, any non-Charisian shipping is going to be carrying exactly the kind of broadsides that would turn Trellheim galleys into so much kindling... assuming they aren't something even bigger, faster, and nastier than a galleon.

Unless Weber has specific plans for them, I seriously doubt the Trellheim pirates will ever show up on Sharleyan's mental radar again. She has way more important things to be doing.
Re: Trellheim, Sharleyan and the ICA
Post by jtg452   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:You land the troops, seize the pirate cities (well, villages and castles),and invite the pirate ships to trade: Their galleys for the right to land.

Cut off from ports, the pirates find new occupations.

See pirates, barbary.

Trelheim doesn't have the population density for pirate nations like the Barbary Coast did. I doubt the whole lot of them united would equal the just the Sallee Rovers at their height.

Not a one of them would hold a candle to Port Royal either.

I figure we are dealing with more early Caribbean piracy or the Norse that ended up settling on Scotland's western coast, Ireland, Man and the Hebrides.

See: Lord of the Isles, history of the Hiberno-Norse clans of Scotland.

Either pirate havens that act as free ports (like in the Caribbean) or small camps along the coast controlled by the various captains that occasionally style themselves as nobility or royalty (like the early Norse settlements on the Irish Sea).

Either way, you don't need the Army to deal with them.

Especially when you can use Charisan Marines that are already well versed in amphibious warfare instead.

You might want to read the whole post before responding.

Return to Safehold