Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

TFT Snippet #9 (fixed to satisfy smart alecs)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: ATST Snippet #9
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:I thought that the Marshall plan was in Europe?

Europe wasn't in the state of civil war. Except for Greece, where "economical assistance" started with imprisoning the former freedom fighters and pardoning the former Nazi collaborators.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Re: TFT Snippet #9 (fixed to satisfy smart alecs)
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Joat42
Admiral

clancy688 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:The enormous wealth under Silverlode Island’s Mohryah Mountains had come as quite a shock when Nahrmahn found a description of it in the notes Pei Shan-wei’s survey crews had left in Owl’s memory. It dwarfed Old Earth’s Comstock Lode. So far, the prospecting crews, working without benefit of Shan-wei’s notes for obvious reasons, had found considerably less than a third of the major ore bodies under the mountains, yet those same notes indicated that what they had found would ultimately produce in excess of ten million tons of silver and six and a half million tons of gold.

And that was barely the tip of an iceberg that belonged—in toto—not to the Charisian Empire, but specifically to the House of Ahrmahk. In terms of real buying power, Cayleb and Sharleyan Ahrmahk were undoubtedly the wealthiest individuals in the history of the human race.

Period.

Obviously, they couldn’t simply dump that kind of gold and silver into their own economy without fatally overheating it. But. . . .

Heya,

thanks for the snippet! :D

But I just *had to* jump on this one. Bold parts are by me.

Is that number correct? O_o

According to this source ( https://www.gold.org/about-gold/gold-su ... been-mined ), the amount of gold mined so far in the history of the planet is 0.19 million tons. In all the centuries, on all the continents, in all the mines combined.

So... these 6.5 million tons from that location alone just... don't sound right. Not even mentioning the "tip of the iceberg" bit. ^^;

Same goes for silver, btw. All silver mined is ~1.5 million.

runsforcelery wrote:Umm, that's ore, not the refined metal. As in reference to ore bodies. Sorry if that wasn't sufficiently clear. I thought it was at the time and it is now, alas, too late to fix it.

And that boys and girls, is how the myth of the Ahrmahk's golden touch was started... ;)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by clancy688   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
Umm, that's ore, not the refined metal. As in reference to ore bodies. Sorry if that wasn't sufficiently clear. I thought it was at the time and it is now, alas, too late to fix it.

Oh, okay.

If my math holds up (don't count on it) that should be about 200 tons of gold (at 1 ounce gold per ton or so). Sounds more like it. ^^

Thanks for the prompt reply, RFC! :)

Can't wait for the real book. More than four months remaining... (:
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

clancy688 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Umm, that's ore, not the refined metal. As in reference to ore bodies. Sorry if that wasn't sufficiently clear. I thought it was at the time and it is now, alas, too late to fix it.

Oh, okay.

If my math holds up (don't count on it) that should be about 200 tons of gold (at 1 ounce gold per ton or so). Sounds more like it. ^^

Thanks for the prompt reply, RFC! :)

Can't wait for the real book. More than four months remaining... (:

And here I was thinking that the mystery of Safehold's 'greater than Earth' density had finally been solved. And it was so much more glittery than 'brains of lead' which had been my previous working hypothesis.
Post by ksandgren   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks for snippet rfc! Even with errors and additional info it raised the speculation bar beautifully.
Post by Alistair   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

What the hell has happened in Siddarmark?? This snippet seems to suggest that Siddarmark is not the primary base for Charis industrial expansion.

That is a surprise if true after all they:

1.They won the war
2.They were industrializing even before the war ended.
3.They have a republic system of governance.

So what has happened in Siddarmark for it not to be the primary base for Charis industrial expansion?

I can see the western inland provinces spending decades recovering from the war and reconciling the Temple Loyalists and the church of Siddarmark but the old province and some of the eastern ones should be roaring along with developments.
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Alistair wrote:What the hell has happened in Siddarmark?? This snippet seems to suggest that Siddarmark is not the primary base for Charis industrial expansion.

1.They won the war

So what has happened in Siddarmark for it not to be the primary base for Charis industrial expansion?

I can see the western inland provinces spending decades recovering from the war and reconciling the Temple Loyalists and the church of Siddarmark but the old province and some of the eastern ones should be roaring along with developments.

If I would take a wild guess, they turned inwards because of all the horrors that befell them with the Sword of Schueler and the Jihad. So they distanced themselves from everyone while trying to rebuild, mend and to come to grips with the aftermath of the war.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:21 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

The Ahrmahk plan is about to make Star Rising the wealthiest man in Harchong. ....either North or South. He'll jump at the guarantees because he has to. If he doesn't , no one in North Harchong will. That means he will own the core industries in those Western regions.

Well, I guess I was wrong. No Seijins are coming to the rescue, but Charis is sending their Crown Backed Bankers instead! The more those enterprises fail, the more Charisian Marks flood Harchong. I wonder if whoever Cayleb sends will approve loans for anyone that can hear thunder and see lightning? Making North Harchong dependent on Charisian gold from the get-go is an important geopolitical tool for Cayleb.
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

Joat42 wrote:
Alistair wrote:What the hell has happened in Siddarmark?? This snippet seems to suggest that Siddarmark is not the primary base for Charis industrial expansion.

1.They won the war

If I would take a wild guess, they turned inwards because of all the horrors that befell them with the Sword of Schueler and the Jihad. So they distanced themselves from everyone while trying to rebuild, mend and to come to grips with the aftermath of the war.

This. It was recognized before the end of the Jihad that things in Siddermark were going to be...interesting (in the way of that ancient Chine--er, Harchong, curse.

Their religious situation is mixed, the loyalists lost, but the reformists weren't jumping to 'Church of Charis' brand reformism.

They saw the products of Charis industry, but didn't repeatedly get their teeth smashed with it the way, oh, Dohlar did.

There's that little matter of being a republic that just went through a fairly uncivil civil war. I can just imagine the attack ads: 'sellout to Charis' and 'sellout to Clyntahn' are favorites this election cycle.
Post by Erls   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Keep in mind also that Siddarmark (if I remember correctly) had guilds similar to Chisholm in terms of strength and political clout. During the war they could be pushed aside to some degree in the pursuit of victory, but I'm sure once peace broke out the guilds started to reassert their strength. Also, unlike Chisholm, they don't have a Sharley (and Cayleb) on the throne with the power to push the guilds aside and make them adapt.

Return to Safehold