Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KBaggy and 6 guests

TFT snippet #8

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #8
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 pm

isaac_newton
Captain of the List

Bluesqueak wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Merlin had. :D

Right... So let me get this straight:

Nynian is entitled to be called Lady Nynian by birth.
She's the Mother Superior of a secret sisterhood whose headquarters is by three lakes.
She's now married to Merlin ....
...and may retire to a virtual existence in a cave.

RFC, you evil punster, you. :)

IIRC Didn't Merlin get trapped in said cave in the original legends by the said lady?
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

isaac_newton wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Merlin had. :D

Bluesqueak wrote:Right... So let me get this straight:

Nynian is entitled to be called Lady Nynian by birth.
She's the Mother Superior of a secret sisterhood whose headquarters is by three lakes.
She's now married to Merlin ....
...and may retire to a virtual existence in a cave.

RFC, you evil punster, you. :)

IIRC Didn't Merlin get trapped in said cave in the original legends by the said lady?

Was all just a big misunderstanding! Besides, the story was garbled in transmission. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Tararoys   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Tararoys
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

Was all just a big misunderstanding! Besides, the story was garbled in transmission. :lol:

Yeah, those semaphores can really mix up a message, especially on a day with poor visibility. Like the days when mist rises up off the lakes, and a woman emerges, arms clad in shimmering samite... :D
Post by Vinea   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Vinea
Ensign

Joat42 wrote:If Safehold was written by a Chinese author Merlin would soon be dead since it's quite common for the male love interest to die heroically while protecting the girl.

Nah, half the time the female love interest dies despite whatever sacrifice the hero makes. Even worse, sometimes she'll kill herself making that sacrifice really pointless and they are both dead. If Titanic was a Chinese movie Rose would have jumped off the back end of the ship that rescued her, not 50 years later at the end of her long life.

I have always described Chinese romance novels/movies by using a line from the movie Heavy Metal: "you die; she dies; everybody dies".

Give me a Hollywood happy ending every time...sappy as it may be I don't end up being pissed over the complete futility of the story.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:19 am

Annachie
Admiral

With the next Safehold book due soonish, I decided to reread the series, and I discovered something.

I never finished At the Sign of the Triumph.
I have no idea why. I started it, but stopped part way through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Safehold