Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

TFT snippet #8

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #8
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

Randomiser wrote:
Safehold also believes in divine intervention. If the healing could actually be done in slow stages there wouldn't be a problem, and you wouldn't have to actually say anything out loud beyond, "I seem to be able to use it better these days." Doing a full heal then trying to fake a slow recovery would be much more difficult. Two healing miracles for him is maybe a bit much.

The problem I see is trying to copy a plausibly slow healing process. If there was a Federation medical AI sharing the Cave with Owl, I'm positive it could design a series of operations that could be spread out over several years, each one restoring a little more arm function. But there isn't one, just a standard medical computer. Merlin and Owl can tell it what to do, but neither of them has medical training. Well, Nimue Alban probably had first aid training, that seems to be standard in most militaries, but what we're talking about is far more advanced.

Unless Owl has somehow managed to get himself full surgeon qualifications since "awakening", there's no one who can design those recovery operations. If Merlin or Owl simply tells the medical computer "fix this, but make it slow", there's too much chance the result is slow healing by Federation standards but way too fast for Safehold to accept.

Return to Safehold