Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

TFT snippet #8

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #8
Post by phillies   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:46 pm

phillies
Admiral

Isilith wrote:Nope, this was... "Sir Koryn Gahrvai said heavily"

He IS a member of the inner circle, love his character. Nynian with Merlin is something EVERYONE saw coming! I just wonder if Nimue has snagged Koryn yet. 8-)

One might suggest that Nimue is still entirely focused on defeating the Gbaba.

One thought: Are the resources available to build a copy of OWL. For example a copy in which all the command software is stored on non-volatile memory so it cannot even in principle be hacked by the sphere. There might in there be a bath to read what is on that sphere.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
TangoLima wrote:Daivin is almost eighteen,
That makes is an eight or nine year gap.

Umm, no. He turned 11 on his rescue voyage, which was still a couple of years out from the end of the first arc.
Didn't he turn 10?

He's refered to being a ten year old when Irys and Staynair are talking about a chaplain for the trip to Chisolm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ywing14   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Are we talking Safeholdian years or Earth years?
Post by Annachie   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:08 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:Are we talking Safeholdian years or Earth years?
Given who was talking to whom, Safehold years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I think one of the things I awaiting with interest is, though this is maybe not the absolute main line of the story, is seeing what the general level of civil/mech engineering has risen to. Is safehold covered with railways or are there just a few... etc etc
or have the years just been spent recovering from the Jihad?
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

isaac_newton wrote:I think one of the things I awaiting with interest is, though this is maybe not the absolute main line of the story, is seeing what the general level of civil/mech engineering has risen to. Is safehold covered with railways or are there just a few... etc etc
or have the years just been spent recovering from the Jihad?

Depends where to look, I suppose. Old Charis is definitely an industrial hothouse, with at least the core of a island-wide railrod-net and the same may be true for Chisholm and, to a point, Siddarmark, too. But I doubt you'll find much railways (if anything at all) in places like, say, Desnair, the Temple Lands or Harchong.
Post by AJKohler   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 am

AJKohler
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:[b].VI.

“Of course they do, but it’s not about ‘just deserts,’ Nimue.” Staynair shook his head sadly. “The fact that some of them don’t deserve it is terrible, but I pray as much for the people torturing and murdering them as I do for the innocent victims. Nothing else in this world can damn and destroy souls as effectively as our need to inflict vengeance and call it justice.”

Shouldn't that be 'just desserts'?
Tony

http://www.repeat-lives.com - Please read Repeat
Vietnam veteran - 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh, RVN 1968 - 1969
Post by Kufat   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 am

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

AJKohler wrote:
Shouldn't that be 'just desserts'?

No, it's correct as written. "Deserts" in "just deserts" shares a root with "deserve" and has nothing to do with Honor Harrington's favorite after-dinner vice.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:01 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

jeremyr wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Although this was not the least bit surprising.

Agreed, not surprising at all.

Though I wonder to what degree Merlin has integrated the gender swap. In book 1 'he' was still quite firmly attracted to males. The entire romatic relationship with Nynian happened mostly off camera, and late in the series.

IIRC, Nynian is also in her mid-40's? That's going to be a tragically short relationship unless he takes some drastic steps.
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:32 am

Julia Minor
Commander

NervousEnergy wrote:
IIRC, Nynian is also in her mid-40's? That's going to be a tragically short relationship unless he takes some drastic steps.

As I recall, we've seen people on-page who are over 90, and Nynian is established as keeping herself in good condition so there's no reason she and Merlin couldn't have 50 years together. Granted, compared to Merlin's expected lifespan that is "short".

Return to Safehold