Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

TFT snippet #8

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #8
Post by Warpy   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 am

Warpy
Midshipman

runsforcelery wrote:Nynian Rychtair Athrawes

I can just imagine their wedding, Maikel would officiate the ceremony. Cayleb would be Best man, Alahnah would be the flower-girl, Cayleb and Sharley's twins would be the ring-bearers...
Post by shayvaan   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:24 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:
NervousEnergy wrote:
IIRC, Nynian is also in her mid-40's? That's going to be a tragically short relationship unless he takes some drastic steps.

As I recall, we've seen people on-page who are over 90, and Nynian is established as keeping herself in good condition so there's no reason she and Merlin couldn't have 50 years together. Granted, compared to Merlin's expected lifespan that is "short".

I suppose that even a hundred (or even double that) would be short, when you have no real expiration date.

Of course, it won't seem like that to him, especially at first. Immortal or not he still is, of an age, so to speak with everyone else in the story. He has yet to experience the 50000+ years that Dahak did.
Assuming he ever does.
Post by evilauthor   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:39 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Julia Minor wrote:
NervousEnergy wrote:
IIRC, Nynian is also in her mid-40's? That's going to be a tragically short relationship unless he takes some drastic steps.

As I recall, we've seen people on-page who are over 90, and Nynian is established as keeping herself in good condition so there's no reason she and Merlin couldn't have 50 years together. Granted, compared to Merlin's expected lifespan that is "short".

Of course, if Nahrman really does discontinue himself when Olyvia dies, there's going to be an opening in the Cave's Virtual Personality Box for someone to move into...
Post by jeremyr   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

evilauthor wrote:
Of course, if Nahrman really does discontinue himself when Olyvia dies, there's going to be an opening in the Cave's Virtual Personality Box for someone to move into...

Oooh, I had not thought of that.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

jeremyr wrote:
evilauthor wrote:

Here's another one.

Nynian is still possibly young enough for them to have children.

Bit of sperm donation, bit of artificial insemination, bit of judicious gene editing. Surely nothing beyond what the medical computer can handle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:20 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

jeremyr wrote:
evilauthor wrote:

Merlin had. :D

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:52 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

runsforcelery wrote:
evilauthor wrote:

jeremyr wrote:Oooh, I had not thought of that.

runsforcelery wrote:Merlin had. :D

Suppose I should also point out that building additional computer space in the cave is no biggie. Don't need any materials not readily available in sufficient quantity and plenty of room.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by ryndieum   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm

ryndieum
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
Suppose I should also point out that building additional computer space in the cave is no biggie. Don't need any materials not readily available in sufficient quantity and plenty of room.

Would it be possible then for Merlin and crew to build a VR for half a dozen (or a dozen) copies of "Nimue" to run as a research/intelligence analysis section in hyper mode?
Post by Tararoys   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Tararoys
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

That makes me wonder what will happen to Owl when Nahrmahn kicks the bucket. We know that Nahrmahn can't survive without Owl: can Owl survive without Nahrmahn?
Post by jtg452   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Tararoys wrote:That makes me wonder what will happen to Owl when Nahrmahn kicks the bucket. We know that Nahrmahn can't survive without Owl: can Owl survive without Nahrmahn?

I figure that Owl sees him more as a mentor. He's programmed to develop with interaction with humans and he's been Nahrmahn's 'roommate' (for lack of a better term) for quite a while. The thing is, he was well along the developmental path before they started 'rooming' together.

No doubt it's gonna hurt (more proof as to how far he's come), but I don't see it as debilitating. Don't forget Owl was designed as a tactical computer. Part of that is dealing with losses on one's own side and that foundation is still there even if he's not being used as one at the present.

And I'm glad they brought Garvai into the fold. If for no other reason than it saves him from having to replace windows every time he needs to know something in a hurry. Hektor, Iris, Nimue and Coris covered the essentials but having the senior military commander on the island in the loop can't hurt and he showed in the Corisandian invasion that he's got the smarts and mental agility to be an asset to them.

Return to Safehold