Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

TFT snippet #8

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #8
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

jlrice54 wrote:
Four and a half months.....less one second, and another. Going to be a long wait!

141 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes, plus delivery time... Maybe Barns & Noble will have a midnight release? That'd save me waiting for Amazon's-day-of-release-delivery or having to wait for brick-and-mortar to open which is worth at least eight or nine hours all on its own.
Post by WeberFan   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:00 am

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not sure what it is... RFC's works include the obvious third-person discussions of "things" that are occurring, but they also include in-depth person-to-person and person-in-group discussions that really add depth to the characters and rich context to the plot. Sometimes I don't know which I appreciate more. As for me, I think if these "discussions" were shorter - as they are with many authors - I would find the series less satisfying. I guess it's like colorizing an otherwise monochrome picture...
Post by Kufat   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 am

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

zyffyr wrote:The single most important phrase in the whole thing....
runsforcelery wrote:Nynian Rychtair Athrawes

Anybody else's allergies start acting up after they read that? Dang hay fever. *sniffle*

This is shaping up to be a great book. The last snippet was some of my favorite writing of RFC's to date, because of the way it conveyed the open spiritual wounds that the two survivors of the Go4 will be walking around with for the remainder of their lives, and their sincere attempts to atone and change.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:20 am

Joat42
Admiral

Kufat wrote:Anybody else's allergies start acting up after they read that? Dang hay fever. *sniffle*

This is shaping up to be a great book. The last snippet was some of my favorite writing of RFC's to date, because of the way it conveyed the open spiritual wounds that the two survivors of the Go4 will be walking around with for the remainder of their lives, and their sincere attempts to atone and change.

If Safehold was written by a Chinese author Merlin would soon be dead since it's quite common for the male love interest to die heroically while protecting the girl.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

Joat42 wrote:If Safehold was written by a Chinese author Merlin would soon be dead since it's quite common for the male love interest to die heroically while protecting the girl.

From a certain point of view, Merlin has already died once. At the very least he possesses no biological functioning (which most would consider a state of death). And really, he's a female warrior masquerading as a male. Those tend to live a bit longer.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Oh - thanks I had't spotted that on my first read thru!
Post by jeremyr   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:25 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

PeterZ wrote:

Although this was not the least bit surprising.[/quote]

Agreed, not surprising at all.
Post by ywing14   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Given the way things were going I don't think it was surprising that this is how it played out.
Post by Isilith   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Nope, this was... "Sir Koryn Gahrvai said heavily"

He IS a member of the inner circle, love his character. Nynian with Merlin is something EVERYONE saw coming! I just wonder if Nimue has snagged Koryn yet. 8-)
Post by Isilith   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

TangoLima wrote:Daivin is almost eighteen,
That makes is an eight or nine year gap.

Umm, no. He turned 11 on his rescue voyage, which was still a couple of years out from the end of the first arc.

Return to Safehold