Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

change in narrators

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
change in narrators
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

While I'm thinking about it, at my request, Oliver Wyman will not be narrating any more of my titles from Macmillan Audio. The new narrator for TFT will be Jonathan Davis. I've told Macmillan that I'll be happy to discuss pronunciations and stuff with Mr. Davis if he decides that would be a good thing for him to do.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: change in narrators
Post by Annachie   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:While I'm thinking about it, at my request, Oliver Wyman will not be narrating any more of my titles from Macmillan Audio. The new narrator for TFT will be Jonathan Davis. I've told Macmillan that I'll be happy to discuss pronunciations and stuff with Mr. Davis if he decides that would be a good thing for him to do.
This guy?
Damn that would sound interesting. :D

https://youtu.be/pSABKRTtJM8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Tararoys   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Tararoys
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

That's a shame. Wyman was my favorite narrator. Davis sound good, though.
Post by Jeslis   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Jeslis

Just curious, was there a problem with the previous narrator? I haven't been following any audiobook issues, but am curious as to what happened.

(I find audiobooks just don't usually do it for me... usually to slow a reading speed)
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Jeslis wrote:Just curious, was there a problem with the previous narrator? I haven't been following any audiobook issues, but am curious as to what happened.

(I find audiobooks just don't usually do it for me... usually to slow a reading speed)

There was an insertion that had nothing to do with the plot. It was not a misreading; it was a whole-cloth insertion, without my approval or that of the publishers, that had zero to do with the plot and made absolutely no sense, and it significantly pissed me off.

And when I say it was not a misreading, it definitely was not. I have no idea why it was done, but the instant it was called to my attention by a reader/listener, TOR and I were on the line to Audible demanding it be repaired, so I really don't know how many copies were sold with the insertion in them.

I don't intend to have it happen again.

Post by Jeslis   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Jeslis

runsforcelery wrote:
Jeslis wrote:Just curious, was there a problem with the previous narrator? I haven't been following any audiobook issues, but am curious as to what happened.

There was an insertion that had nothing to do with the plot. It was not a misreading; it was a whole-cloth insertion, without my approval or that of the publishers, that had zero to do with the plot and made absolutely no sense, and it significantly pissed me off.

And when I say it was not a misreading, it definitely was not. I have no idea why it was done, but the instant it was called to my attention by a reader/listener, TOR and I were on the line to Audible demanding it be repaired, so I really don't know how many copies were sold with the insertion in them.

The... reader, basically made up fanfic and read it into the book recording? .. Oi vey. I'm sorry to hear that//for the situation.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:59 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

runsforcelery wrote:

For those who are curious, here was the original passage:

at the sign of triumph page 822 wrote:
“If you can think of another reason for those pissant little boats to run around in the middle of a Shan-wei-damned artillery duel, I’m all ears,” Mahntayl replied.

He and Kortez looked at each other for a moment. Then the lieutenant commander shrugged.

“No, Sir, I can’t. The question is whether or not they can really do it, and I wouldn't think ---"

and what was read was:

origianl Audible version wrote:
“If you can think of another reason for those pissant little boats to run around in the middle of a Shan-wei-damned artillery duel, I’m all ears,” Mahntayl replied.

He and Kortez looked at each other for a moment. Then they kissed.*

“No, Sir, I can’t. The question is whether or not they can really do it, and I wouldn't think ---"

(*Bold, if I need to say it, added.)

I fail to see how anyone could have "misread" that, so my assumption is that it must have been intentional. I have no idea why it was done, but I intend to see that it isn't done again, and not because there is a homophobic bone in my body. Because it was unauthorized, egregious, served zero story-telling purpose, and was no part of the relationship I was portraying between two serving officers in the middle of a frigging battle.

I have gay characters in my books, but I'm not going to tell you about their sexuality until/unless it becomes germane to the plot anymore than I discuss anyone else's unless its germane. For example, Mark Sarnow in the Honorverse is gay and has been since the moment he was "born" in The Short Victorious War; there's simply never been an occasion when you have seen him and his husband on stage at the same time or even had any reason for me to tell you he was married. Heck, I don't think I ever even mentioned Pat Givens' husband's name (or the fact that she was married at all, for that matter)until Uncompromising Honor, because it never seemed necessary to the story I was writing. For that matter, I never mentioned word one about Honor's sex life or her attitude towards it (aside from some reflection on the Pavel Young episode at the Academy) until I introduced her to Paul Tankersley in TSVW and it was time she had to deal with it.

For what it's worth, the Writ has no prohibitions on homosexuality. In fact, it's not concerned with passing judgment on anyone's sexuality, as long as whatever happens is consensual and everyone involved is of age. Having said that, there is a lot of social pressure against same-sex pairings because of the pressure to "be fruitful and multiply" --- which definitely is enshrined in the Writ. Same-sex marriages/relationships/pairings were frowned upon socially (and prohibited in a handful of particularly repressive [and stupid] secular law codes) because in a pre-technical society they did not and could not produce children. They still happened --- openly, and without Church condemnation --- but they were/are very rare. (For example, at least two members of the Royal college [Dahnel Vyrnyr and Sahmantha Windcastle] have been in an open, recognized same-sex relationship for years [I think that may get mentioned in TFT, though I can't remember for certain].) And when it becomes a significant part of a character in terms of a driving part of that character's personality or social/religious/political situation, I'll tell you about it. Until then, I may or may not; it depends on how the narrative unfolds as I'm writing it.

And I suppose I should point out that Merlin himself is a rather special case of a transgender character, actually! :lol:

Post by Annachie   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:56 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

It reads like he was attempting a joke on the recording team and it slipped through.

OK, maybe I'm being too nice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Kufat   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 am

Kufat

Annachie wrote:It reads like he was attempting a joke on the recording team and it slipped through.

I haven't heard the audiobook, but I did see the original thread and had the same impression; something destined for the VA's private gag reel ended up in the final product. Probably not malicious, but still a major goof.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:It reads like he was attempting a joke on the recording team and it slipped through.

OK, maybe I'm being too nice.

It could have been a joke, yeah, but what's deeply unprofessional is letting that joke get through to the final reader version. He was getting paid, dammit.

Return to Safehold