Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

The Holy Writ.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The Holy Writ.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Question without notice.

How much of the Holy Writ has been written, and how much of that has been published?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Re: The Holy Writ.
Post by thanatos   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 am

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Question without notice.

How much of the Holy Writ has been written, and how much of that has been published?

My understanding is that it was all published after some extensive revisions following the Alexandria Strike and Commodore Pei retaliation against Langhorne and the others. And Safehold has had printing since day 1 so disseminating the Holy Writ and the subsequent revisions was easy.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

thanatos wrote:

My understanding is that it was all published after some extensive revisions following the Alexandria Strike and Commodore Pei retaliation against Langhorne and the others. And Safehold has had printing since day 1 so disseminating the Holy Writ and the subsequent revisions was easy.

I rather think that Annachie means to ask how much of the Holy Writ RFC has written, and how much of that has actually been published in Real Life.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:

thanatos wrote:My understanding is that it was all published after some extensive revisions following the Alexandria Strike and Commodore Pei retaliation against Langhorne and the others. And Safehold has had printing since day 1 so disseminating the Holy Writ and the subsequent revisions was easy.

I rather think that Annachie means to ask how much of the Holy Writ RFC has written, and how much of that has actually been published in Real Life.

I have written a good bit of the central Writ, at least in rough outline form, with a bit more detail for Langhorne, Bedard and Chihro. I have, of course, kept close track of every passage that's been cited.

I should point out that the Writ is not a single volume. It occurred to me that I may never have explicitly stated that anywhere. What I've referred to as the central Writ and most Safeholdians mean when they simply say "the Writ," without any qualifications --- the volume which is used in services and is normally most quoted --- consists of the "Big Four" books: Langhorne, Bedard, Chihro, and Scheuler, and The Letters. These can be thought of very roughly (and in terms of analogy only) as the four Gospels and the Epistles. These are the personal writings of the Archangels and letters --- some from (or attributed to) the Archangels themselves, but more letters of instruction issued to the early Church in their names --- and form the core of Church doctrine.

There is, however, another entire part of the Writ which, in terms of wordcount, is enormously larger and fills scores of volumes. These are classified in COGA theology as the "Books of Instruction," and they are the ones which tell Safeholdians how the world works and lay down specific laws with each archangel author's sphere. Pasquales Laws, for example, are included in The Book of Pasquale which actually consists in the original "imperishable" format handed directly down by the Archangels or about 50 volumes.

The only Archangel with two official "books" is Bedard. The book which appears in the central Writ (and has been cited many times now in text) is officially First Bedard and contains her general instructions to the Faithful. Second Bedard, which appears in the Books of Instruction, runs to almost a dozen volumes and essentially lays down the rules for the disciplines of psychology and psychiatry as opposed to First Bedard's spiritual instruction.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by ywing14   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:54 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't know how you do so well at keeping track of everything.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

There was some references to multiple physical books, and even to that seperation of instructions and "Gospels". (In my head I'd pegged them as "Commentries" and "The technical bits")
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

So, are the Prohibitions all gathered together somewhere or are they scattered through the dozens of books of instructions? I'm thinking of how difficult it is to be an Intendant and make comprehensive rulings on what is or isn't OK.
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:28 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:So, are the Prohibitions all gathered together somewhere or are they scattered through the dozens of books of instructions? I'm thinking of how difficult it is to be an Intendant and make comprehensive rulings on what is or isn't OK.

There are actually two "sets" of Proscriptions.

The really important, central Proscription --- the limitation to wind, water, or muscle power --- is in the central Writ in multiple places. "This is the first and great Prohibition; upon it stand all the laws and commands."

There are also secondary Proscriptions, which are equally authoritative but govern other aspects of life, and those are stated within the "books" (of however many volumes) of the Archangels into whose spheres the behavior in question would fall. Those proscriptions (like Pasquale's absolute ban on certain types of asbestos or phosphorous) are contained in the text where their subjects are discussed and also in a master index volume for each multi-volume book. And the indexes of Proscriptions for all the Writ's books are then compiled in the master index volumes which serve the intendants as their primary reference work when ruling on a process or a potential innovation. In particularly thorny rulings, it may be necessary to go back to the original text and read the exact context of the Proscription rather than relying upon the summaries in the indexes proper, but the appropriate chapter and verse is always listed in the index entry.

Being an honest intendant was never a walk in the park, but it wasn't exactly impossible, either.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:02 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Thanks for this.

On reflection, I guess that, in addition to all the stuff in the Writ, generations of intendants and CoGA scholars will have classified, discussed, analysed and commented on the various Proscriptions enough to fill libraries, and produce some very respected working guides.
Post by Julia Minor   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Julia Minor
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:I should point out that the Writ is not a single volume. It occurred to me that I may never have explicitly stated that anywhere. What I've referred to as the central Writ and most Safeholdians mean when they simply say "the Writ," without any qualifications --- the volume which is used in services and is normally most quoted --- consists of the "Big Four" books: Langhorne, Bedard, Chihro, and Scheuler, and The Letters. These can be thought of very roughly (and in terms of analogy only) as the four Gospels and the Epistles.

Thank you -- it never made sense to me that anyone could lift, much less put in a pocket (which IIRC one minor character does in At the Sign of Triumph a copy of the Writ considering everything that's in there. Multiple volumes, with the central Writ as the primary book that most people refer to, makes much more sense.

Return to Safehold