Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Louis R and 50 guests

The Holy Writ.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: The Holy Writ.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Julia Minor wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:I should point out that the Writ is not a single volume. It occurred to me that I may never have explicitly stated that anywhere. What I've referred to as the central Writ and most Safeholdians mean when they simply say "the Writ," without any qualifications --- the volume which is used in services and is normally most quoted --- consists of the "Big Four" books: Langhorne, Bedard, Chihro, and Scheuler, and The Letters. These can be thought of very roughly (and in terms of analogy only) as the four Gospels and the Epistles.

Thank you -- it never made sense to me that anyone could lift, much less put in a pocket (which IIRC one minor character does in At the Sign of Triumph a copy of the Writ considering everything that's in there. Multiple volumes, with the central Writ as the primary book that most people refer to, makes much more sense.

Sorry! I honestly thought I'd inserted a scene with that information in it into the books already. I guess it's just been so fundamental to my thinking from the get-go that I simply assumed I must have done so at some point! :oops:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Kael Posavatz   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 am

Kael Posavatz
Lieutenant Commander

Given the amount of information crammed into the Writ I always sort of assumed that it exists in multiple volumes. But...

While not explicitly stated to the best of my recollection, there is textev that the Writ (at least as originally written, if you will pardon the pun), is not a single volume. I draw attention to the Book of Hastings, large maps of Safehold on fire-proof, water-proof, unfading, and highly durably synthetic (not that anyone knows it); and regarded as one of the Temple's more holy relics.

There is also textev that when people started printing copies at least some books were bound together into single volumes (the blank page between Chihiro and Hastings that is Dynnys' only source of paper).

Now, we do know how big the Insights are. The copy Dynnys has in his cell comprises of twelve thick volumes.
Post by Alistair   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

I had thought that the writ was like the Christian Bible one book but with many books in the Book. So this idea of the writ being like a collection of books is new to me but makes sense.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Although ....

I suspect that most of the references we have seen to "the book of ..." are most likely to a main book, a collection of other books that contain the commentries, and that this volume is called The Writ, and that there are then other books that contain all the technical bits.

After all, the "technical" book of Bedard would be a sizeable volume on it's own, let alone Pasquale.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by evilauthor   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
Randomiser wrote:So, are the Prohibitions all gathered together somewhere or are they scattered through the dozens of books of instructions? I'm thinking of how difficult it is to be an Intendant and make comprehensive rulings on what is or isn't OK.

There are actually two "sets" of Proscriptions.

The really important, central Proscription --- the limitation to wind, water, or muscle power --- is in the central Writ in multiple places. "This is the first and great Prohibition; upon it stand all the laws and commands."

There are also secondary Proscriptions, which are equally authoritative but govern other aspects of life, and those are stated within the "books" (of however many volumes) of the Archangels into whose spheres the behavior in question would fall. Those proscriptions (like Pasquale's absolute ban on certain types of asbestos or phosphorous) are contained in the text where their subjects are discussed and also in a master index volume for each multi-volume book. And the indexes of Proscriptions for all the Writ's books are then compiled in the master index volumes which serve the intendants as their primary reference work when ruling on a process or a potential innovation. In particularly thorny rulings, it may be necessary to go back to the original text and read the exact context of the Proscription rather than relying upon the summaries in the indexes proper, but the appropriate chapter and verse is always listed in the index entry.

Being an honest intendant was never a walk in the park, but it wasn't exactly impossible, either.

IIRC, there was an infodump in one of the books about this. The lesser proscriptions aren't referred to as "Proscriptions", but are called "anathemas" or something because this or that Archangel disliked something, and the results of doing some anathema (like the abestos and phosphorous) were explained as curses from whichever Archangel supposedly took offense.

This became important in Charis' chemistry research where a pre-Inner Circle Sandra Lewis used the anathemas list as a guide to find substances she could make explode on demand. And of course everyone quietly ignores (or secretly rejoices in) the fact that using "Angelic curses" as weapons and tools subverts the very intent of the whole anathema system to begin with. But they keep doing it anyway because if the Angels really didn't approve, they wouldn't keep supplying "curses" on demand.

Return to Safehold