Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Spoiler alert Alahnah

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Spoiler alert Alahnah
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:51 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am wondering when we will see Alahnah.
What kind of young woman has she become ?
What is her place in the grand scheme of things ?

Heck throw in Irys, Hektor and their kids.
Let's see the family.
Re: Spoiler alert Alahnah
Post by Direwolf18   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I have been wondering about Alahnah actualy... They have made zero effort in her first couple of years of not using communicators infront of her, or having discussions with Merlin about things the rest of the world would have issues with...

I think they are vastly underestimating how much children, and small children pick up just by listening to adults talk, that how they learn words in the first place.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:I have been wondering about Alahnah actualy... They have made zero effort in her first couple of years of not using communicators infront of her, or having discussions with Merlin about things the rest of the world would have issues with...

I think they are vastly underestimating how much children, and small children pick up just by listening to adults talk, that how they learn words in the first place.

I concur. THAT conversation will be worth buying the book to read about. I can see her talking to the younger son of the family Merlin rescued from the concentration camps. He tries ever so hard NOT to give away anything, but she picks up enough to confront her parents. What fun!
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:11 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:I concur. THAT conversation will be worth buying the book to read about. I can see her talking to the younger son of the family Merlin rescued from the concentration camps. He tries ever so hard NOT to give away anything, but she picks up enough to confront her parents. What fun!

What's he going to give away? "We were rescued from the Camps by Seijinn, taken to their magic cave, and then dropped off in the Charisian Empire." This contradicts... what exactly?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

evilauthor wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I concur. THAT conversation will be worth buying the book to read about. I can see her talking to the younger son of the family Merlin rescued from the concentration camps. He tries ever so hard NOT to give away anything, but she picks up enough to confront her parents. What fun!

What's he going to give away? "We were rescued from the Camps by Seijinn, taken to their magic cave, and then dropped off in the Charisian Empire." This contradicts... what exactly?

Nothing. Yet, that recounting will have Alahnah asking Merlin what sorts of magic is in that cave. Merlin either evades or lies. Since he is loath to lie, especially to someone he plans on telling eventually, I look forward to reading just how close to the truth he gets without lying. Also, depending on just how early Alahnah is told an evasion, this sharp young cookie will fill in her own details and worry those details that don't sync with what they tell everyone else. Like just what sorts of visions Merlin has? She'll be taught scientific method from a very early age. She'll be curious just how those visions work and how they manifest. Saying that it's just magic won't cut it, she'll want to know how the magic works. That line of thought presses awful close to CoGA doctrine. Affirming that doctrine undercuts her education in the scientific meathod, parsing that doctrine opens more questions for the youngster. All of it will be fun to read about.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:
evilauthor wrote:

Nothing. Yet, that recounting will have Alahnah asking Merlin what sorts of magic is in that cave. Merlin either evades or lies. Since he is loath to lie, especially to someone he plans on telling eventually, I look forward to reading just how close to the truth he gets without lying. Also, depending on just how early Alahnah is told an evasion, this sharp young cookie will fill in her own details and worry those details that don't sync with what they tell everyone else. Like just what sorts of visions Merlin has? She'll be taught scientific method from a very early age. She'll be curious just how those visions work and how they manifest. Saying that it's just magic won't cut it, she'll want to know how the magic works. That line of thought presses awful close to CoGA doctrine. Affirming that doctrine undercuts her education in the scientific meathod, parsing that doctrine opens more questions for the youngster. All of it will be fun to read about.

Or he takes her to the cave and shows her the magic. :)

I agree that Sharleyan seemed remarkably unbothered about talking out loud to Cayleb in front of her ( usually sleepy) daughter, but she was using earplugs, contact lenses and a hidden microphone. All the little girl would pick up would be that Mummy used to imagine conversations with Daddy, when Daddy was away.

Once she's told the truth, those memories will slot neatly into the revaluations she'll be making, but one has to wonder at what age the Inner Circle are planning to induct the Crown Princess? Given that their experience is now suggesting that younger people accept it better than older ones? And that Alannah's understanding of God and the Church is going to come from people who know the truth?

I think they'll be planning to tell Alannah as soon as they and the Brethren think she's old enough to keep the secret. And people grow up fast on Safehold. But until that age, anything she spots is likely to be explained as 'seijins are magic and if you want to learn how they do their magic, you need to work harder on your maths...'
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:20 am

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Snippet #8 makes this topic somewhat moot.
It'll be some years before she gets in the mix.
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I am not sure it does, it seems clear NOW they have some situational awareness but I am still convinced it can rear its head.
Post by phillies   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 am

phillies
Admiral

evilauthor wrote:

He might honestly tell her that she will perhaps learn seijin secrets when she grows up, but only if she is a very good girl who always keeps her word and studies hard.

Return to Safehold