Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

Safeholdian Scotch

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Safeholdian Scotch
Post by Erls   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:25 am

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

So, I'm curious... Does Safehold have anything similar to our Scotch Whisky? As in, a strict set of rules and guidelines that must be adhered to in the distillation, aging, and bottling processes.

With Scotch being done at northern latitudes, would that be something like High Hallows Whisky on Safehold? Do they have premium brands like Talisker, Macallan, and Lagavulin?

(Beyond the Saint Khody's Premium, of course), which sounds more like a bourbon to me.
Re: Safeholdian Scotch
Post by Daryl   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:39 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Keep in mind the creator of all this and where he lives. More likely to be a bourbon society. Yet another thing that the ghaba have destroyed. Can a PICA remember the peat undertone of a good single malt?
Erls wrote:So, I'm curious... Does Safehold have anything similar to our Scotch Whisky? As in, a strict set of rules and guidelines that must be adhered to in the distillation, aging, and bottling processes.

With Scotch being done at northern latitudes, would that be something like High Hallows Whisky on Safehold? Do they have premium brands like Talisker, Macallan, and Lagavulin?

(Beyond the Saint Khody's Premium, of course), which sounds more like a bourbon to me.
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:31 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I am pretty sure they have reverenced some of the chisholmian whiskeys as peaty... What the differences is and the exact description went over my head.

Honestly not to sure I am a beer (New England IPAs and Stouts) not a whiskey guy.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Direwolf18 wrote:I am pretty sure they have reverenced some of the chisholmian whiskeys as peaty... What the differences is and the exact description went over my head.

Honestly not to sure I am a beer (New England IPAs and Stouts) not a whiskey guy.

Chisholmian whiskeys are definitely not whisky, because whisky-without-an-e only comes from Scotland. Damn the Gbaba!

Not a whisky fanatic myself, but I know someone who is, and I've been reliably (and lengthily) informed that it's because the taste is affected by the local water, the type of cask, whether peat has been used in distilling and other local environmental factors. Which is why whisk(e)y brands which have become highly successful try NOT to move their distilleries.

That said, Merlin certainly recognises Chisholmian whiskey as of the Scotch whisky type - I think he compares it favourably to Talisker, but I can't find the reference.

(If it is Talisker, that would be a very favourable reference.)
Post by jlrice54   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 am

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Bluesqueak wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:I am pretty sure they have reverenced some of the chisholmian whiskeys as peaty... What the differences is and the exact description went over my head.

Chisholmian whiskeys are definitely not whisky, because whisky-without-an-e only comes from Scotland. Damn the Gbaba!

Not a whisky fanatic myself, but I know someone who is, and I've been reliably (and lengthily) informed that it's because the taste is affected by the local water, the type of cask, whether peat has been used in distilling and other local environmental factors. Which is why whisk(e)y brands which have become highly successful try NOT to move their distilleries.

That said, Merlin certainly recognises Chisholmian whiskey as of the Scotch whisky type - I think he compares it favourably to Talisker, but I can't find the reference.

(If it is Talisker, that would be a very favourable reference.)

Actually the reference was to Bushmills Irish whiskey but with peat smoke added to the drying kiln. That caught my eye as I am allergic to the malt in beer but I do appreciate a good glass of "whisky" or "whiskey".

From A Mighty Fortress:

“I have to admit, Chisholm’s distilleries really are better than ours in Charis,” Cayleb agreed. “I’m still in the process of sampling and developing my palate properly. And the good news is that it’s going to take me years to try all of them.”

“It’s incredibly smooth,” Staynair said, taking another sip and rolling it gently over his tongue before swallowing.

“They triple- distill it,” Cayleb told him. “And most of the distilleries char the insides of the casks, too. The West Isle distillery’s just outside Traynside, and they add just a little peat to the drying kiln—that’s where that little touch of a smoky taste comes from. Merlin says that, aside from the peat, it reminds him a lot of something they used to call ‘Bushmills’ back on Old Terra.”

“Somehow, when he told us that, it did more than almost anything else—for me, at least—to drive home the connection between us, right here today on Safehold, and where we all truly came from in the beginning,” Sharleyan said quietly. “We’re not only still distilling whiskey, but someone who was there—on Old Terra—recognizes it when we do.”
Post by jlrice54   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 pm

jlrice54

As I recall St Kody's Premium Blend whiskey was also referred to repeatedly as "peaty" in flavor.
Post by evilauthor   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the original command crew supplies the colonists with booze recipes. Strictly "under the table" as it were and not part of the official religion of course. And since they're not officially part of the religion, people basically forgot the origins of various booze recipes except maybe as oral tradition of various booze makers.

That said, the Writ does provide rules for alcoholic drinks and steam cookers, so it wouldn't surprise me if it also provided some of the basics for how to make those drinks.
Post by jlrice54   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:05 pm

jlrice54

From Hell's Foundations Quiver:

“Indeed?” Stefyny looked at him for several seconds, then waved a graceful hand at the large, deeply upholstered leather armchair set aside for her husband’s occupancy three nights out of the five when he joined her in the sewing room after dinner. “In that case, perhaps you’d better have a seat.” She glanced at the housekeeper. “Mahgdylynah, would you bring the Commander a glass of Sir Ahrnahld’s whiskey? The Glynfych, I think.”

Does Glynfych sound like the name of a good single malt scotch to anyone else?
Post by Mark Rand   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Mark Rand
Midshipman

jlrice54 wrote:From Hell's Foundations Quiver:

Just a little bit, and very good it is :-)
Post by Erls   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:30 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

Mark Rand wrote:
jlrice54 wrote:From Hell's Foundations Quiver:

Just a little bit, and very good it is :-)

It is indeed, but I would love to see a "Macallan" or "Talisker" reference just to confirm that Chisholm is carrying on the tradition of Scotch.

Which is one of humanities greatest creations, imho.

Return to Safehold