Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Really?????? Mk2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Really?????? Mk2
Post by Needaname   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:29 am

Needaname
Midshipman

“We’re already deploying them!” Nahrmahn’s voice came sharply over the com plug in his ear, and Sarmouth felt a huge surge of relief. Of course the portly little prince had been monitoring the situation! But Narhmahn wasn’t done speaking. “The remotes are on their way, but it’s going to take time, Dunkyn. At least another ten minutes. The remotes are stealthy as hell, but they aren’t very fast!”
-At the sign of triumph page 617-

WTF? everything said about the remotes is that they are virtually undetectable. So why were they "on their way"? They new the rockets were there but apparently know one can think ahead. This is the perfect example of formula fiction.

At this point the war is won. the remotes should be used to cause industrial accidents and undermined the group of four. If one in twenty rockets blow up on take off and destroy the whole battery. The same thing with the water and land mines. I personally think that would undermine the trust in the reliability of weapons.

This series is going down hill fast. Like all formula fiction, common sense is the first fatality.
Re: Really?????? Mk2
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Here, I agree. The mere existence of a XIX-century at best rocket, capable of damaging the late-XIX/early XX century steel battleship is extremely dubious. Not only it is almost impossible for Church tech level to create a rocjet big enough to carry meaningful anti-battleship warhead, but it would be pretty hard to design warhead, caoable of penetrating the armored decks considering low ternminql velocity and unpredictable angle of impact. And considering the low accuracy, it would took literally implausible number of rockets to score a hit.

So either Merlin & Co just panicked with no reason, or something is wrong with KH-class battleships deck armor.

P.S. Frankly, it would be more logical if RFC used heavy mortars in that scene. Mortars COULD potentially harm battkeship, albeit not very reliably.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by EdThomas   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote: caoable of penetrating the armored decks considering low ternminql velocity and unpredictable angle of impact.

Balistically ignorant here. Angle of impact would be same as firing angle? unless you're talking about the angle of the round and the surface being impacted. Would impact speed be same as if round had been simply dropped from above, ie gravity?

Thanks
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

EdThomas wrote:Balistically ignorant here. Angle of impact would be same as firing angle? unless you're talking about the angle of the round and the surface being impacted. Would impact speed be same as if round had been simply dropped from above, ie gravity?

Thanks

No, that's the problem. While the flight of gun shell - after leaving the barrel - could be described by basic ballistic, the flight of the unguided rocket is less predictable due to instabilities in rocket engine work. For XIX century black powder rocket, this instability would be REALLY great. It would be absolutely impossible to predict, at which angle the rocket would hit the target, even not counting the aerodynamic problems.

So, in short - Merlin & Co have no reason to panic

P.S. Unless, of course, the deck armor of HMS Gwylym Manthyr was literally nonexistent. In that case, either Merlin & Owl messed up with design, or Ehdwyrd Howsmyns could not resist the temptation and stole money, "armoring" the ship with sheet tin instead. ;)

Post by Silverwall   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Silverwall
Captain (Junior Grade)

Unguided rockets have always been useless in Naval warfare, they have crap range, crap accuracy and crap impact compared to Guns. The Brits had rockets from the time of napoleon and they were terrible, the Royal Navy did experiment with them because they were actually very tech savvy and they were just bad.

Until you have modern explosives and guidance systems they are not effective weapons, just getting them to fly in a straight line is a challenge. Giving either side unguided rockets is laughable. Dilandu and I often disagree but in this case I totally agree that non elctronic tech makes them non viable.

Your talking a black poweder engine instead of the aluminium powered rockets of the 50's and given even advanced WW2 tech could barely make reliable liquid fuel rockets I am just not buying it.

with the tech available you threaten a big ironclad/Pre-Dreadnought with whitehead style torpedoes which are effective with the tech of the day.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:34 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Silverwall wrote:Unguided rockets have always been useless in Naval warfare, they have crap range, crap accuracy and crap impact compared to Guns. The Brits had rockets from the time of napoleon and they were terrible, the Royal Navy did experiment with them because they were actually very tech savvy and they were just bad.

Until you have modern explosives and guidance systems they are not effective weapons, just getting them to fly in a straight line is a challenge. Giving either side unguided rockets is laughable. Dilandu and I often disagree but in this case I totally agree that non elctronic tech makes them non viable.

Your talking a black poweder engine instead of the aluminium powered rockets of the 50's and given even advanced WW2 tech could barely make reliable liquid fuel rockets I am just not buying it.

with the tech available you threaten a big ironclad/Pre-Dreadnought with whitehead style torpedoes which are effective with the tech of the day.

It needs to be said that it has been observed, I think in HFQ, that the armor on the Harahlds was not designed to withstand plunging fire from rockets.

The rockets involved were not individually accurate, but were used in an area denial role which was what caught Eraystor who happened into that zone covered by the rockets.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
It needs to be said that it has been observed, I think in HFQ, that the armor on the Harahlds was not designed to withstand plunging fire from rockets.

The rockets involved were not individually accurate, but were used in an area denial role which was what caught Eraystor who happened into that zone covered by the rockets.

Don

-

If their armor was not designed to withstand plunging fire from rockets, it basically means that it was not designed to withstand any plunging fire at all, and so the ships are essentially one floating mistake. With all respect, but I really doubt that Merlin & Co could do SUCH fatal mistake.

And again, the problem is:

* It's practically impossible to build XIX-century level rocket, capable of carrying any meaningful AP warhead. It's absolutely impossible on Church tech level, which is not actually XIX-century in many aspects (like precise machining, for example).

* The probability of XIX century rocket to hit armored deck at such angle that warhead would be able to penetrate - even if we assume, that said warhead could be carried by XIX century rocket at all! - is very low. Rocket flight is much more complex than of artillery shells, and it would be practically impossible to predict at which angle said rocket would hit.

* Combined with rockets low accuracy, their low penetration probability is basically making them really useless as anti-ironclad weapon. To put it simply; firstly we need the rocket to actually hit target (probability are low), and then we need the rocket that hit to hit at right angle (probability is even lower). If, say, 5% of rockets would hit Charisian battleship, and out of those rockets that hit only 5% would hit at right angle... then the probability of actually scoring the penetration hit is less than 0.25%. I.e. out of THOUSAND rockets, two may score such a hit.

In short: completely implausible. Frankly, I think this whole episode need a rewriting, with rockets replaced by mortars:

They actually WERE a credible threat to armored ships. Not very big - since it was pretty hard to hit moving target with mortar at all - but IF they scored a hit, then their massive shells, falling at predictable angle (ballistic!) have a good chance to actually penetrate. And, mortars are much more plausible for XIX-century tech of Church, than rockets, comparable with 1950s tech level!

Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Dilandu wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

If their armor was not designed to withstand plunging fire from rockets, it basically means that it was not designed to withstand any plunging fire at all, and so the ships are essentially one floating mistake. With all respect, but I really doubt that Merlin & Co could do SUCH fatal mistake.

And again, the problem is:

* It's practically impossible to build XIX-century level rocket, capable of carrying any meaningful AP warhead. It's absolutely impossible on Church tech level, which is not actually XIX-century in many aspects (like precise machining, for example).

* The probability of XIX century rocket to hit armored deck at such angle that warhead would be able to penetrate - even if we assume, that said warhead could be carried by XIX century rocket at all! - is very low. Rocket flight is much more complex than of artillery shells, and it would be practically impossible to predict at which angle said rocket would hit.

* Combined with rockets low accuracy, their low penetration probability is basically making them really useless as anti-ironclad weapon. To put it simply; firstly we need the rocket to actually hit target (probability are low), and then we need the rocket that hit to hit at right angle (probability is even lower). If, say, 5% of rockets would hit Charisian battleship, and out of those rockets that hit only 5% would hit at right angle... then the probability of actually scoring the penetration hit is less than 0.25%. I.e. out of THOUSAND rockets, two may score such a hit.

In short: completely implausible. Frankly, I think this whole episode need a rewriting, with rockets replaced by mortars:

They actually WERE a credible threat to armored ships. Not very big - since it was pretty hard to hit moving target with mortar at all - but IF they scored a hit, then their massive shells, falling at predictable angle (ballistic!) have a good chance to actually penetrate. And, mortars are much more plausible for XIX-century tech of Church, than rockets, comparable with 1950s tech level!

I understand that I am simply the author here, however Dilandu is making some assumptions about the Church's sophistication which are inaccurate. You may or may not find their capabilities plausible, but they are the ones the Church has been building with and towards almost from the beginning and I walked the reader through both the acquisition of the technology and the first test use of the system. And based on the actual capabilities of the Church:

(1) The rockets in question are spin stabilized in flight with machined nozzles. Yes, they are black powder and yes they will not be precision weapons. They will, however, be one hell of a lot more accurate than 19th century black powder rockets without spin stabilization.

(2) The rockets in question were fired en masse at a volume of watter which had been preranged and pretargeted. They were not aimed "at" the ships at all, and the vast, bast majority of them missed.

(3) If anyone was paying attention, the devastation was primarily the result of fires, set in the super structures. There were some deck penetrations, and the deck armor was thin. No one on the other side had the sort of heavy mortars which have been mentioned in this post, so most fire would be coming in on a fairly flat trajectory. (Had such heavy mortars been under construction, Merln would have known about it, and the deck armor --- which was much better on the Gwyllym Manthyr than on the ironclads which were never supposed to engage such heavy foritications and guns --- would have been considerably thicker.) The rockets became available to the Church only after the ships in question had been launched, and therefore represented a threat the designers had rated as low when they built the ships, Given the need for the thickest belt and casemate armor they could carry, they "skimped" on deck armor . . . just like a lot of RL late 19th-early 20th century naval architects,

(4) The rickets in this casecame in on a steeper trajectory than cannon fire would have at that range, and it was specifically stated in the book that these were extraordinarily large rockets which had been specifically designed to carry heavy warheads designed to attack protected targets, which is one reason their range was so extraordinarily short and their trajectories were so steep. They were very short ranged weapons whose extremely nose-heavy design pulled them down at a very sharp angle.

The only really valid criticism of this passage (in my admittedly biased opinion) is the fact that the SNARC remotes should reasonably have been parked in the rocket barges waiting to detonate the instant they were needed if Sarmouth had already known the rockets were there. I will concede that there is a plothole there because I failed to think the scene completely through. It happens sometimes, no matter how hard a writer tries to avoid it, especially on a canvas the size of Safehold or the Honorverse. And in this case, the book was late, I was proofreading 2 different books simultaneously, and I was extremely ill, so while I regret it, I'm not really surprised that my brain was not at its sharpest during the final edit when I would probably otherwise have spotted that minor problem. I'd still have used the rockets, but I would have structured the entire sequence with Sarmouth and the SNARCs differently. Nonetheless, the hole is wider than usual and I accept full responsibility for it. I ought to have recognized the logic fail when I first wrote it, and I didn't. And I trust it goes without saying that I will continue to seek to avoid plotholes in future. Overall, I think my record is actually pretty good, but it can always be better,

For the rest of it, given the features I designed into the hardware on both sides --- and explicated in the book on my way through --- the action works just fine the way it's written.

You may or may not agree with my reasoning or the technology I made available to the two sides. That's your prerogative.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

There's a Batman quote about why he just doesn't shoot criminals.
Something likr
"Can't have an easy way out, or I might be tempted to use it"

Using the snarcs as demolition charges would be too tempting for Merlin. Especially as he wants innovation by the church.

After he's done it once, it becomes much easier to use it again and again, and all of a sudden HIS mission is lost.

At least, that's how I viewed it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:04 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Annachie wrote:There's a Batman quote about why he just doesn't shoot criminals.
Something likr
"Can't have an easy way out, or I might be tempted to use it"

Using the snarcs as demolition charges would be too tempting for Merlin. Especially as he wants innovation by the church.

After he's done it once, it becomes much easier to use it again and again, and all of a sudden HIS mission is lost.

At least, that's how I viewed it.

Thanks for trying, but, no. Given Sarmouth‘s fears about the rockets going in, the criticism that he should’ve had the demolition action up and ready to go from the get-go is entirely valid. As I say, I was very, very ill while I was working on this part of the book, and I strongly suspect that that’s why I didn’t recognize the plot problem myself on the way through. On the other hand, sick or not, it’s my job to notice things like that, so I can’t just write myself a pass on it.

I have to say that I think overall the same reads well and works… Only problem is that it doesn’t make sense in some ways.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Safehold