Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

How about a book of maps?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
How about a book of maps?
Post by Modelcarguy   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Modelcarguy
Midshipman

Would be lovely to have detailed maps of all locations on Safehold. I have copied all the front pieces, but long for detailed and enlarged versions to locate and follow each exciting event. That will make my next reading (on my second bow) so much more fun
Re: How about a book of maps?
Post by dobriennm   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Modelcarguy wrote:Would be lovely to have detailed maps of all locations on Safehold. I have copied all the front pieces, but long for detailed and enlarged versions to locate and follow each exciting event. That will make my next reading (on my second bow) so much more fun

The author promised (at the end of ATSOT) to post the master electronic map of Safehold as well as a comprehensive list of all the characters in all the Safehold novels on this website.

Hasn't happened yet.

The best we have is some downloadable maps from September 2016 (under Downloads -> Safehold).

Not sure if he will ever post that map. He said it "requires some work before it's ready for prime time".

And if it's posted before TFT comes out, then it likely won't cover the action in TFT (since where the details get filled in is where the action will probably be) (unless the Author tries to mis-direct us - AGAIN).
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

dobriennm wrote:
Modelcarguy wrote:Would be lovely to have detailed maps of all locations on Safehold. I have copied all the front pieces, but long for detailed and enlarged versions to locate and follow each exciting event. That will make my next reading (on my second bow) so much more fun

The author promised (at the end of ATSOT) to post the master electronic map of Safehold as well as a comprehensive list of all the characters in all the Safehold novels on this website.

Hasn't happened yet.

The best we have is some downloadable maps from September 2016 (under Downloads -> Safehold).

Not sure if he will ever post that map. He said it "requires some work before it's ready for prime time".

And if it's posted before TFT comes out, then it likely won't cover the action in TFT (since where the details get filled in is where the action will probably be) (unless the Author tries to mis-direct us - AGAIN).

There's a significant problem with posting the world map I intended to post. Sorry, thought I'd passed that info along months ago. I've overloaded the mapping software, and features are dropping out of the master map. Worse, the vendor is no longer planning to support the software I've been using, so no future upgrades to solve the problem. I've divided the planet into quadrants that I CAN update without losing features (so far, at least) but the master map is pretty much stuck where it was as of the one you're referencing.

There will be detail maps in the book for at least the major areas of interest, but it's unlikely there's going to be an updated master map of the entire planet again. And, as you point out, I can't go posting the quadrant maps before the book comes out without a certain amount of legume spillages.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by dobriennm   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:27 pm

dobriennm
Commander

dobriennm wrote:

Hasn't happened yet.

runsforcelery wrote:There's a significant problem with posting the world map I intended to post. Sorry, thought I'd passed that info along months ago. I've overloaded the mapping software, and features are dropping out of the master map. Worse, the vendor is no longer planning to support the software I've been using, so no future upgrades to solve the problem. I've divided the planet into quadrants that I CAN update without losing features (so far, at least) but the master map is pretty much stuck where it was as of the one you're referencing.

There will be detail maps in the book for at least the major areas of interest, but it's unlikely there's going to be an updated master map of the entire planet again. And, as you point out, I can't go posting the quadrant maps before the book comes out without a certain amount of legume spillages.

Yea, I was wondering when you were going to run into that problem (vendor not supporting updates). Mapping software is a small niche. And you're talking about going from 32-bit Windows XP (2007) to 64 bit Windows 10 (2018). If the software is 32-bit, you run into memory problems at a certain point no matter what. Finally, very few vendors, even if they are staying in the business, provide a path to go to the latest 64-bit Windows 10 versions.

The quadrant maps, though. might work on the Celestia software to provide a much better "globe" picture (I should stop being so lazy and find the individual's name who put together your 2009 map and the latest detailed maps as a Celestia add-on).

But Celestia isn't a solution for you the Author, just for us the readers for visualization.
Post by DirkF   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:02 pm

DirkF
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

there is a mapping software that is still being constantly updated and supposed to run on Win10 in its newest incarnation.

Unfortunately I don't know if it can read the files from RFC's old mapping software, so I can't say if this is a solution...

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3-plus.asp
Post by dobriennm   » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 pm

dobriennm
Commander

DirkF wrote:there is a mapping software that is still being constantly updated and supposed to run on Win10 in its newest incarnation.

Unfortunately I don't know if it can read the files from RFC's old mapping software, so I can't say if this is a solution...

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3-plus.asp

The software looks interesting. But looking over that site, I can't find any kind of manual for the software. I see you can get a manual if you first buy the software. I'm sorry, if I have to buy the software to get the manual to figure out if it has the necessary features I need, that's not software I would buy.

There doesn't even seem to be a concise description or listing of features to figure out the capability. And most of the website seems to be describing capability that the author doesn't need (creating dungeon Maps?? Or detailed city maps??)

From the author's standpoint, I think he'd be better off going to a fancy print shop, running off a couple of copies of his highest resolution map to date on paper 5 feet wide by however long it needs to be, laminating it and using erasable and permanent markers to fill in details as needed.

At this point in the overall Safehold story, he'd be better off keeping character details and story-lines correct, rather than worrying about a complicated conversion that may not port everything correctly with subsequent attempts to correct mistakes along with learning a new and complicated software. The physical world matters to the story, but THE STORY doesn't need maps to be accurate down to the mile/kilometer.

If dividing the planet into quadrants on his old software works and is not too much trouble, that's probably the way to go. Even old fashioned paper (mind you, really big paper) might be the way to go.

Frankly, I'd prefer the Author not get bogged down on software problems and just keep the story flowing.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

dobriennm wrote:The software looks interesting. But looking over that site, I can't find any kind of manual for the software. I see you can get a manual if you first buy the software. I'm sorry, if I have to buy the software to get the manual to figure out if it has the necessary features I need, that's not software I would buy.

There doesn't even seem to be a concise description or listing of features to figure out the capability. And most of the website seems to be describing capability that the author doesn't need (creating dungeon Maps?? Or detailed city maps??)

From the author's standpoint, I think he'd be better off going to a fancy print shop, running off a couple of copies of his highest resolution map to date on paper 5 feet wide by however long it needs to be, laminating it and using erasable and permanent markers to fill in details as needed.

At this point in the overall Safehold story, he'd be better off keeping character details and story-lines correct, rather than worrying about a complicated conversion that may not port everything correctly with subsequent attempts to correct mistakes along with learning a new and complicated software. The physical world matters to the story, but THE STORY doesn't need maps to be accurate down to the mile/kilometer.

If dividing the planet into quadrants on his old software works and is not too much trouble, that's probably the way to go. Even old fashioned paper (mind you, really big paper) might be the way to go.

Frankly, I'd prefer the Author not get bogged down on software problems and just keep the story flowing.

This is all true and I agree that worrying about / working on mapping software isn't Himself's best use of time, but I'd also point out that precise maps and topology is more a part of the Mad Wizard's stories as anything else. Very few writers write large battles to the degree of detail Himself does, and if you've got a good map you can plot out the movements, logistics, and challenges that the characters face in the story.

You don't *have* to do this, and I'd imagine quite a few readers don't (I didn't use to) as it can distract from the human story elements, but all of the details are there and they're wonderfully consistent. If Himself puts a mountain range down, you won't see formations suddenly go from one side to the other. If you see a narrow valley through dense forests/swamp from A to B, you know that's going to be a strategic focus.

I'd love to re-read the entire series with scale miniature wargaming topographic maps on a large table, and plot the movements of all the engaged forces as I read through it. That's a bit too geeky for most, though, I'll admit.

I'd happily pay for a quality physical Safehold Companion book that contained detailed maps, known elements of the Writ, character bios, etc. I'd shell out for the leather bound edition, even.
Post by ZVar   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:32 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

I know it's not Safehold, but I would love to see a map like this.
Something with character and fleet/army movements would be awesome.

http://quartermaester.info/
Post by Feak1   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Feak1
Midshipman

I completely agree with you ZVar, I would really like to see one either! as much as i would like https://suppsforlife.to/category/oral-steroids. by the way, runsforcelery, thanks a lot for your posts, i personally found them super useful. was wondering if you don't mind me asking you some questions as well? thanks in advnace and thanks so far!

Return to Safehold