Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

What will be found in the Desolation Mountains?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
What will be found in the Desolation Mountains?
Post by EdThomas   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Did Chihiro's boys miss anything?
Re: What will be found in the Desolation Mountains?
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

EdThomas wrote:Did Chihiro's boys miss anything?

Only RFC knew for sure, but frankly, I doubt that. Since they knew that Desolation mountains were the main stronghold of "fallens" they probably used all available scanners to search for any possible high-tech caches. And "fallens" did not have access to heavy terraforming machinery, so they could not build anything like Nimue's cave.

It is possible, that SOME Fallen equipment are still presented on Safehold, thought. After all, it wasn't particularly hard for them to hide SOMETHING, and considering that Inquisition obviously have SOME experience in dealing with heretics, we may suppose that some long-therms plans may be implemented by them (like stashing holoprojector in some church, so after 300+ years the per-recodered "angel" would appears and rally peoples against the CoGA.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by EdThomas   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Seijin Cody sparked the question. According to his journal seijins were sent out to find the Fallen by actually living in towns and figuring out who in town was a member of the Fallen by some sort of detective work. Cody was defeated by a Fallen he found. The Fallen guy gave Cody the Fallen's view of the facts and got Cody thinking that maybe he wasn't getting the truth from Chihiro. Unfortunately, Cody decided to go and ask the one leader he trusted, Schuler, about what was really going. He died on that trip and it's not known who killed Cody.
Were some of the Fallen missed? Did they leave anything interesting behind? The fact that Seijins were sent undercover to find Fallens implies Chihiro did not have a great deal of aerial search capacity, IMHO :-)
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

EdThomas wrote: The fact that Seijins were sent undercover to find Fallens implies Chihiro did not have a great deal of aerial search capacity, IMHO :-)

...How exactly aerial search would help you to determine who exactly in given town support the Fallens? :o

Post by Whitecold   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Whitecold
Commander

While I am pretty sure something will have been missed, I assume that anything that has not been armageddon proofed will be unusable by now.
Storage life of 1000 years is an unusual engineering requirement.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Whitecold wrote:While I am pretty sure something will have been missed, I assume that anything that has not been armageddon proofed will be unusable by now.

Well, it seems SOME equipment - like verifier - are durable enough. Look like Federation molecular circuitry is nearly indestructible just by definition - so as long as the system is relatively compact, it could last literally forever.

P.S. And while no analogue of Nimue's caves could be prepared, smaller & simpler stashes - basically just a durable container, pressurized and filled with arid nitrogen atmosphere - could be build.

Post by Joat42   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Whitecold wrote:While I am pretty sure something will have been missed, I assume that anything that has not been armageddon proofed will be unusable by now.

Pfft, I got a couple of weapons at home that are millions of years old.. ;)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ywing14   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

My question would be did some of Shanwei's Moles join the Fallen. That would help explain the lack of other groups (or really evidence of other groups) during the EoC time period.
Post by Whitecold   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 am

Whitecold
Commander

ywing14 wrote:My question would be did some of Shanwei's Moles join the Fallen. That would help explain the lack of other groups (or really evidence of other groups) during the EoC time period.

I think I remember Tellesberg was really the backup group, and Shan Wei told them to stay low because they were too far away to help with anything. Which implies the other groups were getting involved somehow.
Post by EdThomas   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:44 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:
EdThomas wrote: The fact that Seijins were sent undercover to find Fallens implies Chihiro did not have a great deal of aerial search capacity, IMHO :-)

...How exactly aerial search would help you to determine who exactly in given town support the Fallens? :o

My error - I'm including snarc surveillance in here and should have stated so. Scanning aerial searchs will find emission sources and changes in the town/land. The former will not be found if they're turned off so aerial search is not going to be too helpful there. What aerial surveillance/search will identify are additions/changes in the land and structures. It will/may also show where things have been buried - differences in echoes between disturbed and undisturbed areas. It might help identify concealed structures and it will show changes to existing structures

Return to Safehold