Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

What will be found in the Desolation Mountains?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What will be found in the Desolation Mountains?
Post by ywing14   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:08 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Whitecold wrote:
ywing14 wrote:My question would be did some of Shanwei's Moles join the Fallen. That would help explain the lack of other groups (or really evidence of other groups) during the EoC time period.

I think I remember Tellesberg was really the backup group, and Shan Wei told them to stay low because they were too far away to help with anything. Which implies the other groups were getting involved somehow.

I've been rereading the series but haven't gotten to that book yet. However, if I remember correctly there were over 200 folks but she only had time to place 4 of them in Tellesberg.
Post by Erls   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

As this was the "fortress" of the Fallen, is there a chance it is home to some extremely rare minerals and elements that the Fallen needed for their manufacturing models? As in, the type of element that nano-tech cannot fully replicate and is necessary in extremely high-tech/high-value equipment?

Thus, the location of the manufacturing nodes (so they have access) along with a name that makes it seem useless.

I think of Silverlode Island, which was named that as a pure trick on the colonists as they had no way of finding what it actually contained. Or the Barren Lands, which - like the Desolation Mountains - may actually contain extremely valuable (for a high-tech society) elements and minerals.

Just a random thought that's a bit different that where other people are going.

Oh, also - I think the chances of finding at least one Fallen manufacturing node in the Desolation Mountains is pretty good. It could be hidden from anyone without high-tech equipment easily enough, and once the Fallen were defeated it would be human nature to scale back any dedicated, full on searching of the region. Thus, something(s) may be left there to be discovered...
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:21 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

One concern I would have would be security systems set up on ANY tech depot. If you don’t have the right clearance you get zapped, possibly with the entire cache/manufacturing center.
Post by evilauthor   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

EdThomas wrote:My error - I'm including snarc surveillance in here and should have stated so. Scanning aerial searchs will find emission sources and changes in the town/land. The former will not be found if they're turned off so aerial search is not going to be too helpful there. What aerial surveillance/search will identify are additions/changes in the land and structures. It will/may also show where things have been buried - differences in echoes between disturbed and undisturbed areas. It might help identify concealed structures and it will show changes to existing structures

I think that it was mentioned somewhere that the Fallen had the ability to spoof SNARC observation, hence why Chihiro and company needed the Seijinn.

And when you think about it, spoofing SNARC observation when you have comparable technology wouldn't be impossible. OWL is already overwhelmed by all the data he gets from his SNARCs so no one looks at most of it. Most of the SNARC data goes unanalyzed unless someone is give reason to look at it.

I imagine that ArchAngel SNARC surveillance was in the same boat, so the Fallen spoofs the SNARCs into sending back junk data that doesn't trigger any of the Archangels' filters. Basically the hightech equivalent of planting a photo showing an empty room/hallway in front of a camera.

Chihiro and company of course quickly catch on to what's happening, but their technical skills aren't up to getting around it directly. So they create the Seijinn to find the Fallen the old fashioned way with good old detective work.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 am

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Whitecold wrote:While I am pretty sure something will have been missed, I assume that anything that has not been armageddon proofed will be unusable by now.
Storage life of 1000 years is an unusual engineering requirement.

Today, yes.

But remember; much of the Federation tech was molecular based. Think rock. There are rocks on this planet billions of years old.

Plus apparently battle steel doesn't rust or corrode.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by tjthw8s   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:05 pm

tjthw8s
Ensign

[quote="Erls"]
snip

I think of Silverlode Island, which was named that as a pure trick on the colonists as they had no way of finding what it actually contained. Or the Barren Lands, which - like the Desolation Mountains - may actually contain extremely valuable (for a high-tech society) elements and minerals.

snip

'the Barren Lands'....hmmm

Now I'm suddenly wondering if ShanWei may have constructed, mothballed, and deliberately HIDDEN a manufacturing node somewhere in the Barren Lands as a possible "third string" . So, even if her Moles (Jeremiah Knowles and co) and Nimue's PICA both failed, the eventual expansion of the planetary population would uncover it. We have textev that small fishing villages and such have bee established on the coasts and the people are realizing the Barren Lands aren't really that barren after all. And you can bet that population pressures, escaping serfs/slaves ,etc will eventually lead to more people heading to the continent's interior. And check out that huge mountain range in the western portion.

hmmm...

Return to Safehold