Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Slavery and Serfdom, why, how?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Slavery and Serfdom, why, how?
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:

You people are so suspicious! Can't imagine where you get that from. :twisted:

You. Entirely you, I started your book series trusting what authors would tell me at semi face value, now I gotta look under every nook and cranny for hidden clues of how I am busy thinking one thing and whoops, nope.

Also I for one am putting my vote in for the history of Siddimark, always been a big fan of the Republic, if there was any prequel story I had a particular interest in, that would be it.
Post by Alistair   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:12 am

Alistair
Rear Admiral

yeah I also would vote for a story on Siddarmark beginings
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:41 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:The Sword of the Lord Protector could also be the sword of the guy who lead the revolt aainst the dastardly oppressive king who made all the peasants eat cake.

Actually, I bet there was another planted enclave similar to Saint Whatsits in Charis that inspired said revolt and government.

One that probably went back into hiding.

That’s a great thought!
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:48 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

You. Entirely you, I started your book series trusting what authors would tell me at semi face value, now I gotta look under every nook and cranny for hidden clues of how I am busy thinking one thing and whoops, nope.

There's a difference between this and say the outright author lie in The Lost Symbol.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Never said or meant to implied be lied. He has successfully tricked me by playing on my expectations however more then once. Realized how I got played as the rope a dope more semi frequently when I reread the series.
Post by evilauthor   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:15 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

I still think the series would have been better if the first book had been done entirely from the Safeholdian perspective with the high tech reveal being done at the end. It'd read like a low fantasy steampunk setting with the true origins only being hinted at with things like baseball and the name "Merlin".
Post by EdThomas   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:01 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

I would be very happy to wait for the national development stories until after the Gbaba have been destroyed. RFC has limited keystroke capacity (I know he dictates) and I would rather he not go off on side tracks. :D
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:07 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

We know you? :lol:

runsforcelery wrote:
Annachie wrote:The Sword of the Lord Protector could also be the sword of the guy who lead the revolt aainst the dastardly oppressive king who made all the peasants eat cake.

Actually, I bet there was another planted enclave similar to Saint Whatsits in Charis that inspired said revolt and government.

One that probably went back into hiding.

Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by zyffyr   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:03 am

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:You people are so suspicious! Can't imagine where you get that from. :twisted:

To paraphrase the bad 80s anti-drug commercials...

"You. We learned it from watching you."
Post by evilauthor   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:27 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Hmm. A thought in Siddarmark Republicanism... sort of:

Even before Merlin and Charis becoming an Empire, all the out islands had parliaments, a quasi-legislative body where the nobles and high ranking clergy of the land get together. But not a single mainland monarchy that we've seen has a parliament, or at least, not one important enough to actually be mentioned in the story.

And as I've previously mentioned, it's likely that the out-islands aped the mainland nations when putting a government together, especially since they likely did it later.

So my thought: monarchies with parliaments is how the angels and Writ mandated governments should be, at least at the start. Or maybe they didn't mandate it, but had the first countries bigger than a single village made that way.

Countries however evolve with time. The out-island kingdoms were young enough to still have parliaments. Most of the mainland nations though had their parliaments whither away, usually to centralize power in the monarch (or the bureaucracy in Harchong's case).

Siddarmark however went in the OTHER direction. Instead of withering away, their parliament became more important to their government. They started expanding the franchise early on. Some angel probably looked in on it and dropped the word "Republic" which Siddarmark embraced.

And the Temple Lands of course probably stays closest to its original form of government, at least until current events. The Grand Vicar and Council of Vicars IS the Temple Lands' government.

And irony of ironies, I suspect that the reason the Lord Protector is an elected position was done to ape the way the Grand Vicar gets elected. I suspect alot of Siddarmark's original Republican structure was done to copy the way the CoGA was run.

I mean, it can't be coincidence that the ONLY other major political unit other than Siddarmark that elects its leader is Mother Church herself, right?

Return to Safehold