Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

TFT Snippet #4

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Louis R wrote:There are more recent partial maps in Downloads.

Unfortunately, Himself hasn't let anyone have a full map since MTT. Presumably because he's now filled in enough detail we would be able to deduce too much of what's coming next.


jeremyr wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Actually, I was looking at the Fith Imperium Site. http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/


Thanks.
Good info there. I wish there was a more up to date map on that website.


While not a completely updated map, one of the posters here created a Safehold Globe which incorporates the latest partial maps at Illustrating David Weber's Books.

Unfortunately, it's complicated, but you essentially install the Celestia software and then the Safehold Addon Version 2 (Safehold_V2.zip).

Then you can turn the globe around, see it from any angle and zoom in to the max resolution. It includes the latest partial maps as overlays. I think the base map is MTT, though.

It's neat to see Safehold as a actual world in space and "fly" around it.

It is a little complicated to set up the first time, but very neat to look at.

And apologies to the individual who did all this work, but I forgot your name
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:25 pm

It's a noble work, indeed, but, unfortunately, premature since careful inspection shows that the ends of that MTT map don't match up or overlap and it ends on different parallels north and south. I won't swear to it, but I don't think either side reaches its respective pole [that conjecture depends on unproven assumptions about scale]

dobriennm wrote:
Louis R wrote:There are more recent partial maps in Downloads.

Unfortunately, Himself hasn't let anyone have a full map since MTT. Presumably because he's now filled in enough detail we would be able to deduce too much of what's coming next.




While not a completely updated map, one of the posters here created a Safehold Globe which incorporates the latest partial maps at Illustrating David Weber's Books.

Unfortunately, it's complicated, but you essentially install the Celestia software and then the Safehold Addon Version 2 (Safehold_V2.zip).

Then you can turn the globe around, see it from any angle and zoom in to the max resolution. It includes the latest partial maps as overlays. I think the base map is MTT, though.

It's neat to see Safehold as a actual world in space and "fly" around it.

It is a little complicated to set up the first time, but very neat to look at.

And apologies to the individual who did all this work, but I forgot your name
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:11 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Louis R wrote:It's a noble work, indeed, but, unfortunately, premature since careful inspection shows that the ends of that MTT map don't match up or overlap and it ends on different parallels north and south. I won't swear to it, but I don't think either side reaches its respective pole [that conjecture depends on unproven assumptions about scale]


dobriennm wrote:
Louis R wrote:There are more recent partial maps in Downloads.

Unfortunately, Himself hasn't let anyone have a full map since MTT. Presumably because he's now filled in enough detail we would be able to deduce too much of what's coming next.


While not a completely updated map, one of the posters here created a Safehold Globe which incorporates the latest partial maps at Illustrating David Weber's Books.

Unfortunately, it's complicated, but you essentially install the Celestia software and then the Safehold Addon Version 2 (Safehold_V2.zip).

Then you can turn the globe around, see it from any angle and zoom in to the max resolution. It includes the latest partial maps as overlays. I think the base map is MTT, though.

It's neat to see Safehold as a actual world in space and "fly" around it.

It is a little complicated to set up the first time, but very neat to look at.

And apologies to the individual who did all this work, but I forgot your name



All true, but still the best available. And some of the faults (like ends not matching up or some of the overlap plus the poles), as I understand it, are due to a combination of the limitations of the Author's maps, projecting a flat map onto a sphere, limitations of the Celestia software and trying to "fit" the partial maps back onto the MTT map.

It's essentially the problem the Author would have if he tried to convert his present maps to a globe representation. He'd get more accurate distances (I believe - think Greenland looking larger than South America on most world maps - though maybe his mapping software compensates for that), but the effort involved would be tremendous. Plus, I'm not sure what presently available software is available to do the global spherical map.(I believe Celestia is good for viewing, but I'm not sure how good it is for mapping/distances purposes)

The Author has discussed some of the problems he's had with his mapping software in other threads. Since the writing started in the 2007 time-frame, he's done the best he could do with what was available at the time.

I personally like the globe representation. When the Author starts talking about sending ships out and having to go the long way, looking at the globe (and rotating it) gives me a better feel than a map where I have to mentally "wrap" it around.

And the detailed map overlays may be approximate locations, but it's close and still gives you a better feel for the action in the books plus all of the detailed maps are available in one view. So it's easy to rotate the globe to each of the detailed maps quickly in one browser window.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by EdThomas   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:53 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm
Location: Rhode Island USA

for those not familiar with Mr Dunning
from Wikipedia
"Liberal political economist John Stuart Mill commended Dunning for writing an "able tract" containing "many sound arguments."[14] Socialist economists Sydney and Beatrice Webb characterized Dunning as "one of the ablest Trade Unionists of his time."[15] In his turn, Karl Marx thought highly of Dunning and quoted him several times.[15]

Famous quote in Marx's Capital from Dunning's pamphlet, Trades' unions and strikes[16] runs as:

Capital is said by a Quarterly Reviewer to fly turbulence and strife, and to be timid, which is very true; but this is very incompletely stating the question. Capital eschews no profit, or very small profit, just as Nature was formerly said to abhor a vacuum. With adequate profit, capital is very bold. A certain 10 per cent. will ensure its employment anywhere; 20 per cent. certain will produce eagerness; 50 per cent., positive audacity; 100 per cent. will make it ready to trample on all human laws; 300 per cent., and there is not a crime at which it will scruple, nor a risk it will not run, even to the chance of its owner being hanged. If turbulence and strife will bring a profit, it will freely encourage both. Smuggling and the slave-trade have amply proved all that is here stated.[17]

British labour historian Royden Harrison called Dunning, "the authoritative voice of the Trades Union oligarchy".[18] Another British historian Lawrence Goldman summarized Dunning's legacy as follows: "Dunning and his contemporaries had harnessed the organized working class to the Liberal Party, to liberal political economy, and to the liberal values of equality before the law."[19]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dunning
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:22 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 12:37 am

Just tracked down the 1st reference to Sargent Syngpu

LAMA p.487-489

Fun finding old friends.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by Randomiser   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Scotland

PlaysWithBees wrote:Just tracked down the 1st reference to Sargent Syngpu

LAMA p.487-489

Fun finding old friends.



Well done! I wondered if we had seen him before, but I only looked in AtST so missed him.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:14 pm

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 12:37 am

Randomiser wrote:
PlaysWithBees wrote:Just tracked down the 1st reference to Sargent Syngpu

LAMA p.487-489

Fun finding old friends.



Well done! I wondered if we had seen him before, but I only looked in AtST so missed him.


Currently re-reading the series. Just started HFQ.

(BTW, apologies to admin for fat fingering “report post” rather than “reply...” I didn’t have my glasses on. :roll: )
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by SCC   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm

SCC
Commander

Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 am

Sorry for chiming in, but I've only just read this snippet.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Emperor's Spears only 20,000 strong? With this little incident killing `1,000 of them that's a big dent.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by doug941   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:19 pm

doug941
Commander

Posts: 171
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 5:21 pm

To the most high lord of celery. I may have missed it if you already published one, but if not please, please, PLEASE publish a rank table for Imperial Harchongese officers.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #4
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:39 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:44 pm

doug941 wrote:To the most high lord of celery. I may have missed it if you already published one, but if not please, please, PLEASE publish a rank table for Imperial Harchongese officers.


At some point, the Author stated that the rank structure was somewhat fluid, that is, any rank given could mean several different ranks (in a normal army) depending on the person and the authority given them from higher up. While I'm sure there is some nominal hierarchy to the Harchongese ranks, to paraphrase, "When I use a rank, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
Top

Return to Safehold