Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Pica and PTSD

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Pica and PTSD
Post by Michae   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:38 am

Michae
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I've been re-reading the Safehold books while waiting for the next one to be released,and in some of them Merlin had some rather "dark" thoughts,especially before he started taking downtime each day. So I was wondering would it be possible for a PICA to develop PTSD,or something similar?
Re: Pica and PTSD
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:45 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

no reason why not. a pica is a person after all. it was simply the fact they were only used for such a short amount of time and the memories passed onto the original that meant the issue was unknown in the federation.
Post by shayvaan   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:45 am

shayvaan

While he never mentioned PTSD, he did mention that Picas and the original person were not supposed to meet, that it tended to cause nasty narcistic feedback loops, probably because most of the human race was suffering from PTSD because of the Gbaba.
I believe the relevant textev is when Nimue was being brought online.
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm

PlaysWithBees

I would say “yes, they can” simply become PTSD is more psychological than physiological in nature and the psyche or personality is the main part of what is recorded (along with the memories of course.j
Additionally, when Nahrman was chewing Merlin gently out for retreating into a funk after the Great Canal Raid, he mentioned Merlin probably suffering from “Survivor’s Guilt” and “Battle Fatigue.” Battle Fatigue is the old term for PTSD as was used during the World Wars.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I certainly think he could experience PTSD. Hell, PICA's can even taste food.

Return to Safehold