Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

TFT snippet #3

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT snippet #3
Post by Isilith   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bluesqueak wrote:
Isilith wrote:
Agree 100% with you, I would have never ( from how he was presented to us ) have tried to bring him into the inner circle.

I think RFC is presenting it as an example of sheer overconfidence on the part of Cayleb, Sharleyann and Merlin. They have, after all, had an apparent 100% success rate with everyone else they've revealed the truth too.

I notice that Nynian doesn't seem to have been involved - of course, she doesn't know Eastshare as well as the others. But she'd at least had personal experience of the 'sad accidents' that sometimes had to be arranged when the Sisterhood discovered that they'd revealed their purpose to the wrong teenager.

Overconfidence and guilt. Don't forget the guilt that comes from "I love X and hate that they don't know what I know".
Post by Isilith   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

The cryo brings up a great point to consider. How will Eastshare handle the truth when it is finally "safe" to let him out? Think about it, by the time it is safe for him to be let out, the evidence will be damning (Against the coga theology and history) in its totality.

How will he handle having that "truth" totally pulled out from under him? How will he handle having "betrayed and left" his friends and loved ones? His country? Having betrayed his vows to his Empress and Emperor? How will he handle seeing the world changed that completely all around him?

Will he be able to rise out of the ashes and be the man he once was, again? Turn into a hate filled and bitter old man? Shatter so completely that he either suicides or is fit only for a padded room?
Post by shayvaan   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm

shayvaan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Isilith wrote:The cryo brings up a great point to consider. How will Eastshare handle the truth when it is finally "safe" to let him out? Think about it, by the time it is safe for him to be let out, the evidence will be damning (Against the coga theology and history) in its totality.

How will he handle having that "truth" totally pulled out from under him? How will he handle having "betrayed and left" his friends and loved ones? His country? Having betrayed his vows to his Empress and Emperor? How will he handle seeing the world changed that completely all around him?

Will he be able to rise out of the ashes and be the man he once was, again? Turn into a hate filled and bitter old man? Shatter so completely that he either suicides or is fit only for a padded room?

I imagine that RFC may use it as a hook for the third set of books. The man out of time trying desperately to fit into a world no longer his own.
Would make an interesting subplot.
Post by BarryKirk   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

I don’t think that Cayley and Sharlyne will consider him to have violated his oaths to them.

The interesting scene will be how they explain that to him.

He will be in a very delicate position when his faith in the COGA finally breaks.

I will enjoy reading how those who love him go through the process of putting him back together.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Isilith wrote:The cryo brings up a great point to consider. How will Eastshare handle the truth when it is finally "safe" to let him out? Think about it, by the time it is safe for him to be let out, the evidence will be damning (Against the coga theology and history) in its totality.

Actually a... good question. No matter how exactly this happens, he would be an anachronism, men ripped from his own time and culture and thrown into the future - and worst of all, for nothing. For honest believe in lie so big that it was impossible for him to accept the truth.

Maybe it would be more humane to just not wake him at all and let radiation damage destroy his brain.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Isilith   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:46 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

BarryKirk wrote:I don’t think that Cayley and Sharlyne will consider him to have violated his oaths to them.

The interesting scene will be how they explain that to him.

He will be in a very delicate position when his faith in the COGA finally breaks.

I will enjoy reading how those who love him go through the process of putting him back together.

You misunderstand, I in no way think that Cayleb and Sharly will blame him or consider him to have broken his vows.

BUT, Eastshare's own hammered iron sense of honor will see it that way. The same honor that refused to let him "let go" and believe the truth will condemn himself in his own eyes. THAT will be the problem.
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:

Actually a... good question. No matter how exactly this happens, he would be an anachronism, men ripped from his own time and culture and thrown into the future - and worst of all, for nothing. For honest believe in lie so big that it was impossible for him to accept the truth.

Maybe it would be more humane to just not wake him at all and let radiation damage destroy his brain.

Oh god imagine, waking up and everyone you know and love is dead, and everything you believed in to the core of your being has been proven to be nothing but a horrid lie? A bullet to the brain would be a kindness.
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:
Oh god imagine, waking up and everyone you know and love is dead, and everything you believed in to the core of your being has been proven to be nothing but a horrid lie? A bullet to the brain would be a kindness.

Exactly. What use would have Eastshare for future Safehold, say, 100+ years after Reveal? Historical oddity, at best. Not even a valuable "witness of the past", because Owl's SNARC's made a much better chronology of Safehold.

Frankly, it would be much more humane just not wake him up at all.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by PlaysWithBees   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 am

PlaysWithBees
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I have to congratulate RFC on this snippet It has been quite a while since the pathos of a story has unsettled me as much is this did for as long as it has. I think the last time was by Tad Williams in the Dragonbone Chair Series.
Truthfully, this is made me think of all the different scenarios how this may play out. The repercussions it may have politically, emotionally, and in the relationships of the characters.
Very well and hauntingly written, RFC. I take my hat off to you! (And I shudder to think of what you have in store for us in the REST of the book!)
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:

Exactly. What use would have Eastshare for future Safehold, say, 100+ years after Reveal? Historical oddity, at best. Not even a valuable "witness of the past", because Owl's SNARC's made a much better chronology of Safehold.

Frankly, it would be much more humane just not wake him up at all.

Why 100+ years after reveal? He's harmless soon after the reveal.

Return to Safehold