Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Questions on Terran Federation Tech

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Questions on Terran Federation Tech
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 am

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
I have read it, and it's very good. If you can find a Kindle version (or whatever your choice of poison is), i think you'd like it, Dilandu.

Then I'll try it. Probably not soon, though; i'm a bit time-pressed on my work currently, and my avaliable free time is occupied on writing articles about Japanese guided weaponry of World War 2 (almost unknown theme in Russian military geek society :) ) Thanks for recomendation!
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by phillies   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

phillies
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:For that matter, the Long Lance came with a nasty hidden price tag: liquid oxygen stored in the torpedoes themselves and in reservoirs aboard ship. Care to guess what happened when they took a shell hit and the fires started? At least one of the Japanese heavies disabled by destroyer gunfire and torpedoes off Samar probably succumbed to the explosion of her own torpedoes.

Yes, though compressed oxygen, not liquid oxygen:

"The second type air gas (oxygen) was stored at 225 atm in a 980-liter main chamber made by machining a block of nickel chromium-molybdenum steel, an alloy first developed for battleship armour." sayeth wikipedia.

Period cryogenics would have been challenged to keep oxygen liquid under shipboard conditions.

Compare the serious period (ca. 1930) design for a moon rocket, ca. five stages, as created by a real engineer and published in Amazing. Hydrogen was ruled out as a fuel in favor of iirc gasoline because of the challenges in keeping the fuel liquid. It weighed have weighed about twice what a Saturn V did, which is really pretty good as an estimate.
Post by Panzer   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Panzer
Lieutenant Commander

Dilandu wrote:I did not, but I perfectly agree with everything)

You really should.

War Plan Orange: The US Strategy to Defeat Japan and Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy are also pretty interesting books.

Return to Safehold