Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Julia Minor, PlaysWithBees, USMA74 and 6 guests

TFT Snippet #2

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Posts: 2186
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: East Central Illinois

IIRC there was a comment about the Church not accepting that Schuler (& apparently the other Archangels) had human descendants.

I suspect that when the crew starting the "playing angels game" that any sexual relationships between the crew & passengers were kept low-key.

Later on, the Church may have taken the public position that it never happened. Possibly because some churchmen tried to use the "we're descended from Archangels/Angels" as a power play.

ywing14 wrote:
mhicks wrote:We know that Schuler had descendants secretly, did Chihiro have offspring as well we don't know about yet?


Were the descendants a secret? I thought that it originally was just oral tradition that they were able to corroborate with DNA. I don't recall if it was a secret or not.
*
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
*
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
*
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 am

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Russia

DrakBibliophile wrote:IIRC there was a comment about the Church not accepting that Schuler (& apparently the other Archangels) had human descendants.

I suspect that when the crew starting the "playing angels game" that any sexual relationships between the crew & passengers were kept low-key.

Later on, the Church may have taken the public position that it never happened. Possibly because some churchmen tried to use the "we're descended from Archangels/Angels" as a power play.



IMHO, it was later development - Langhorne and Bedard werent stupid, after all.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Louis R   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:25 pm

That proposition is debatable - they thought they were the perfect masters of human nature and destiny, after all. Although I will admit that that is as much characteristic of abysmal ignorance as of stupidity.

Still, you get the point: if L&B decided that miscegenation would be demeaning to the image they were projecting, they wouldn't have had any doubts about their ability to control it.

Dilandu wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:IIRC there was a comment about the Church not accepting that Schuler (& apparently the other Archangels) had human descendants.

I suspect that when the crew starting the "playing angels game" that any sexual relationships between the crew & passengers were kept low-key.

Later on, the Church may have taken the public position that it never happened. Possibly because some churchmen tried to use the "we're descended from Archangels/Angels" as a power play.



IMHO, it was later development - Langhorne and Bedard werent stupid, after all.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Russia

Louis R wrote:That proposition is debatable - they thought they were the perfect masters of human nature and destiny, after all. Although I will admit that that is as much characteristic of abysmal ignorance as of stupidity.



Hardly perfect - just the best of all remaining. After all, since Langhorne WAS approved to lead the last hope of humanity, he clearly wasn't incompetent. No "politics" could force Project Arc planners to put anyone less than brilliant in charge of such important operation.

So, we could safely assume, that Langhorne, Bedard & Co were clever & competent (maybe megalomaniac, but considering the weight of the whole situation on their shoulders...). And Langhorne clearly didn't want the Writ to became too restrictive - he clearly understood that his model would not last long, if it start to CREATE tensions and problems. Of course, the Writ & the Church itself was changed a lot after WaF, and by that time there were a lot less geniuses in administration...
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Posts: 618
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Thompson, CT USA

Louis R wrote:Probably not so bad as all that - provided you don't need to breath, drink or relieve yourself...



Sounds like a PICA or 'servitor' robot could do a lot of work to build the tools that are needed to make the tools that humans will need to ramp up the return to inner stellar travel
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Posts: 618
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Thompson, CT USA

Dilandu wrote:
Louis R wrote:That proposition is debatable - they thought they were the perfect masters of human nature and destiny, after all. Although I will admit that that is as much characteristic of abysmal ignorance as of stupidity.



Hardly perfect - just the best of all remaining. After all, since Langhorne WAS approved to lead the last hope of humanity, he clearly wasn't incompetent. No "politics" could force Project Arc planners to put anyone less than brilliant in charge of such important operation.

So, we could safely assume, that Langhorne, Bedard & Co were clever & competent (maybe megalomaniac, but considering the weight of the whole situation on their shoulders...). And Langhorne clearly didn't want the Writ to became too restrictive - he clearly understood that his model would not last long, if it start to CREATE tensions and problems. Of course, the Writ & the Church itself was changed a lot after WaF, and by that time there were a lot less geniuses in administration...


The scarecrow would fit right in...

"If I only had a brain"
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 am

Loren Pechtel
Captain of the List

Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm

tialro wrote:Why manufacture Federation Tech on Safehold, when you have an entire star system that may not be covered by the OBS? Why not have remotes mine the materials from asteroid belts and build fully automated manufactures on a moon on another plant in the system?


Merlin has conducted unmanned operations in deep space. We don't know how much stuff could thus be operated without drawing it's ire. (And if they draw it's ire can it do anything anyway?)
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 am

Loren Pechtel
Captain of the List

Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Randomiser wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:But there is only one OBS and the planet is between it and several likely points of departure...

I vote that it should be tried, but, hey
I have been wrong before


I'm not sure that fact is in evidence. It depends what you understand by the word system in OBS. If it is only one bombardment platform with closely co-located defence systems, then the obvious thing is to use the shadow of the planet for launch and go stealth until you are so far away nothing is going to pick you up. However the OBS has to be designed to be able to detect and locate any (serious) infringement of the triggering Proscriptions anywhere on Safehold then deliver KEWs, maybe lots of KEWs on that location. It could well be that there are several detection and bombardment platforms with overlapping fields of view so there are no spaces for your initial launch to sneak through.


Developing tech isn't going to be able to run away effectively. One platform in a polar orbit could in time hit any spot on the planet, and they want to be as stealthy as possible so I don't think they would build more than they need.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:34 am

Loren Pechtel
Captain of the List

Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Joat42 wrote:See this post. The original post from rfc was lost in a board-crash many years ago.

Relevant quote:
runsforcelery wrote:Okay, this is a system which uses solar power collection for its primary operation, is heavily stealthed, and kicks on the onboard fusion plants only when it's time to crank up the kinetic launchers and then turns them off as soon as the strike is over. The support and maintenance system operates under exactly the same sort of constraints, as well. As to how the platform(s) are arranged, for now that's for me to know and you to worry about, but I think you can safely assume that the people who put it/them in place weren't stupid enough to design a system that couldn't spot, track, and target objectives wherever they happen to be located on the face of Safehold.


We know there are multiple platforms, but is that one group traveling together or spread around the world? A polar orbit can cover any point on the planet.
Top
Re: TFT Snippet #2
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am

Loren Pechtel
Captain of the List

Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Fireflair wrote:It's possible that the answer to dealing with the OBS and it's platform(s) is to do a kinetic strike on them all simultaneously from a fair distance away. Maybe not. If one of the strikes misses it's platform it would have a good probability of hitting the planet. Whatever the strike is composed of would have to be moving fast enough or for there be enough of the striking projectiles to get past the OBS defenses. A miss and hitting Safehold would be Bad.

It's also possible that the OBS might call home, namely the temple, to ask for guidance on this unexpected situation.


Actually, you can do a kinetic strike against the OBS without any threat to Safehold. Take a big load of sand gravel out into deep space, come back at say 100km/sec and throw the sand at the OBS system, followed by the gravel.

That's going to be a nightmare for the defense lasers to deal with any any piece that gets through makes quite a bang on what it hits. However, a piece of gravel hitting Safehold at 100 km/sec is merely pretty fireworks.

Phoning home before it dies is another matter, though.
Top

Return to Safehold